TT: Time to demote Smith Jr. and bring up Stewart

Tony-OH

On 7/24/2019 at 12:00 AM, RZNJ said:

Ruiz probably is not the answer but he's got a lot of good points.  Solid defense, sweet swing, and generally good AB's.  I suppose Elias and Hyde are hoping for a little power surge.  

Unless he suddenly gets a lot stronger, there's not a lot of power there. I've seen the BP on top of his below average EV and Hard hit % (both at 30th percentile in MLB). He's just not a major league at bat despite his ability to have some good at bats. If he was a little more versatile then maybe I can see a utility profile similar to Flaherty with a slightly better hit tool, but worse power.

Ruiz was worth a shot, but I haven't seen anything to suggest he's part of the future here. I'd play Nunez at 3B on most days with Alberto and Peterson filling in on occasion.

As for Smith Jr., nothing has changed in my mind. I'd rather see Stewart getting the playing time up here at this point so he can be evaluated.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Damn I saw this get bumped and had my hopes up.

He's injured (not that I'd wish that on anybody) so there is that (also mentioned above) plus nice photo of Hess pondering his last and next pitch (he may start again per Hyder, see article below):

"Smith hurt again: Dwight Smith Jr., who left Saturday’s game with soreness in his left calf, hobbled off the field after his pinch-hit single in the seventh.

The Orioles said that Smith left the game with a left calf injury.

With an afternoon game on Tuesday, it may be hard to get a player to San Diego in time. DJ Stewart seems to be the logical replacement for Smith."

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2019/07/30/hess-allows-homers-first-two-pitches-dwight-smith-jr-hurt-dillon-tate-debuts/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Hess_David_05212019_13.jpg

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You don't. I do.

I have to agree to a certain extent. If the idea is that you want to see Hays dominate his level before coming up, a lot of that will inevitably bear out in the stats. Not everything, obviously, and that's where stuff like EV and BABIP and scouting comes in, but a lot. 

As for Hays, he's slashing .253/.306/.532/.838 with a 4-22 BB-K ratio in 85 PAs. This is where the K rate and lack of walks combined with a pedestrian BA is a concern. If you are not going to walk, you need to hit for a high average like Mountcastle.

I don't see Hays coming up anytime soon and think they give him the rest of the year in AAA unless he suddenly becomes white hot and there's an injury to Santander who I think they are going to continue to look at everyday in CF for now.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

As for Hays, he's slashing .253/.306/.532/.838 with a 4-22 BB-K ratio in 85 PAs. This is where the K rate and lack of walks combined with a pedestrian BA is a concern. If you are not going to walk, you need to hit for a high average like Mountcastle.

I don't see Hays coming up anytime soon and think they give him the rest of the year in AAA unless he suddenly becomes white hot and there's an injury to Santander who I think they are going to continue to look at everyday in CF for now.

Yeah. Too many starts and stops this year, yet again. He has to show he can sustain success offensively. 

I think Elias is just trying to make it through Wednesday (maybe end of the week as he might try to pick a guy or two off waivers after competitors rearrange their 40 man rosters).  After which, he will rearrange his inventory and probably make a lot of the moves everyone here is talking about.  We are entering round 2 of the inventory year after Wednesday as Elias has exhausted all his ways to acquire new talent in the 2019 season (except for late international signs) and will have to wait until the offseason before he can begin the quest to add more new talent.

• Upvote 1