TT: Time to demote Smith Jr. and bring up Stewart

Tony-OH

In a year where the Orioles must evaluate guys for the future, the evaluations should be in for Dwight Smith Jr. and it's time to give DJ Stewart everyday at bats the rest of the season to evaluate him. Smith has obviously slumped badly with the stick .150/.237/.260/.497 over his last 114 PAs, but his defense has been awful by any metric.

Smith Jr. now has a -0.9 WAR thanks to his -1.2 dWAR and 0.0 oWAR. By statcast standards, he's in the 2% of MLB in Outs above average (OAA) mainly due to his 4% outfielder jump. 

Offensively, while his hard hit % is at 52%, his exit velocity (42%), xBA (30%), xwOBA (20%) are all well below major leaguer average.

Even though I said back at the time that the Orioles didn't need Smith Jr. because they had Yastrzemski at the time (.259/.303/.500/.803 and has been worth 1.1 rWAR with SF), I understood them wanting to give the younger (by two years) Smith a chance. Well, 317 PAs have gone by it's fairly clear that Smith Jr. is not part of the future outfield equation.

While Stewart hasn't exactly lit it up since going back to Norfolk, at a year younger than Smith Jr., it's time to give Stewart those everyday at bats in LF and see how he looks. 

• Upvote 2

I agree, time to give Smith the boot.  He was a nice first half story.  I think this move will be coming soon, though I am not sure if it'll be on the west coast swing.

Time to see once and for all what we have with Stewart.  I want to see him and Santander playing every day for the rest of the season.

3 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Smith has an option available.  Wouldn't it make sense to send him to AAA to see if he can get back on track, rather than cutting bait entirely?

Yes, I thInk so.   Tony may have forgotten that Smith has an option remaining.  

3 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Smith has an option available.  Wouldn't it make sense to send him to AAA to see if he can get back on track, rather than cutting bait entirely?

You are right, for some reason I had it in my head he was out of options. I'm fine if they just want to demote him instead of DFA him, but I'd DFA him once I needed a 40-man spot. I'll change the title.

You have to bring DJ Stewart up.  It is the same issue I had with not bringing Yaz up last season. You have to reward your guys that have been with your organization a long time over DFA guys from other organizations. .  DJ Stewart deserves the chance to see if he can produce.  He has had success at every level in this organization.  

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You are right, for some reason I had it in my head he was out of options. I'm fine if they just want to demote him instead of DFA him, but I'd DFA him once I needed a 40-man spot. I'll change the title.

I think I read we have two open 40 man spots.  But I have no problem DFAing even if we don't need the spot.  I guess the reason you thought he didn't have options is because he hasn't been optioned this year.  When most people would have optioned him by now. 

15 minutes ago, esmd said:

I doubt Stewart is the answer, but I'm fine with giving him the playing time, because Smith isn't either.  He's a 4th OFer/DH type at best IMO.

He very well might be, but in a season of evaluation, this is the time to give him those PAs to find out.