TT: Time to demote Smith Jr. and bring up Stewart

Tony-OH

We will see Stewart on August 1st. What are the odds one of Mancini, Villar, or Núñez is traded? I’d say high. Any of them go and a spot opens up for Stewart, even if imperfectly. 

Posters on OH were at Núñez’s throat a couple months ago. He had a .632 OPS on May 19th. Smith has been in an extreme funk and has a .700 OPS. He has gotten a hit in his last two games and we may have seen the worst of him. Baseball is a game of averages. Most players are either on a hot streak or cold streak and you just hope they are still serviceable at the last of their cold streak. I fear we caught Stewart at the last of his hot streak(he was pummeling the ball in AAA) the last time we called him up. 

Smith isn’t great, but what’s another week? 

Edited by Matt Bennett

I am wholeheartedly against this.  I think the Orioles have the non-competitiveness and time to see if players can work their way out of slumps (yes even 100 AB slumps).  I think the OP mindset is shortsighted in a longterm game.  

As to his defense I think you have to allow for players to adjust and get better.  And i think that is possible.

If we adopt this mindset with every player you will cery quickly think we have no viable prospects.  Smith was a first rounder, if he were the Orioles first rounder I doubt you would be so quick to pull the plug.  In fact I know that to be true because Stewart has had is own struggles.

3 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I am wholeheartedly against this.  I think the Orioles have the non-competitiveness and time to see if players can work their way out of slumps (yes even 100 AB slumps).  I think the OP mindset is shortsighted in a longterm game.  

As to his defense I think you have to allow for players to adjust and get better.  And i think that is possible.

If we adopt this mindset with every player you will cery quickly think we have no viable prospects.  Smith was a first rounder, if he were the Orioles first rounder I doubt you would be so quick to pull the plug.  In fact I know that to be true because Stewart has had is own struggles.

Smith has almost 6x the MLB PAs as Stewart. 

I’m fine with giving guys chances, especially this year, but OF is one place where we have several possible contributors and I’d like to see more of them. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

But even when he's not slumping he's not good.  He has to be red hot to be an asset.

Smith has 6,637 innings in the outfield.  How much more time for adjusting do you think he should get?

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

If you can't use this year to evaluate a guy like Stewart then you are just botching a rebuild. 

Yep.  Stewart  is 25 and Hays is 24.  Time to see what these guys can do and risk losing smith who really offers nothing to the team.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Union members don't consider the guys not on the 40 colleagues.

Does Jimmy Fallon consider some guy at the comedy club his colleague?  Is he willing to share his contract?

Why don't the folks making 20M a movie in the SAG help pay the bills for their fellow union members?  I hear some of them have to deliver pizza to pay the bills!

And those are the ones who can act!

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I was almost with you up to the part about defense. The dude has been a professional baseball player for 6+ years. If he can't run a decent route to the ball by now, he's not going to "adjust". There is nothing he can do to overcome a weak arm. I would be OK with giving him time for his bat to come back around, but the eye test and the numbers say he is terrible defensively, and one thing this team needs desperately is defense (for this reason, I would be OK with the callup being Williams or Hays, with Santander taking over LF). There was a reason Toronto gave him away for peanuts, and now we have found it. Good experiment but it's time to give it up.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Union members don't consider the guys not on the 40 colleagues.

Does Jimmy Fallon consider some guy at the comedy club his colleague?  Is he willing to share his contract?

Why don't the folks making 20M a movie in the SAG help pay the bills for their fellow union members?  I hear some of them have to deliver pizza to pay the bills!

That’s a straw man argument. Jimmy Fallon doesn’t run the lights, and the lights guys have their own union and get paid pretty well. None of them has to deliver pizzas.

These are all guys in one club. Except the club has one level: 40-man and “everyone else”

and the 40-man guys say,” I don’t GAF about you until you join the 40-man section of this club” and how stupid is that?

I’m not disagreeing with your point(although your example is wildly irrelevant) I’m saying that the players would be far more successful if minor leaguers were included.

I remember a scene from Roots, where Fiddler and Kunta Kinte are talking about the end of the American Revolution, and Fiddler is saying ,”they all sayin’ ‘ now we gon be free...” and they are laughing bitterly at the irony.

The comparison is that the MLBPA takes care of itself quite well but doesn’t give a damn about anyone else, so when they speak of fairness or equity or rewards for hard work or other such claptrap, they are being just as hypocritical.

”oh I want fairness.”

”what about the minor leaguers?”

”who cares about the minor leaguers.”

It’s ridiculous to ignore the minor leaguers, because helping them will help you.

Just now, Philip said:

That’s a straw man argument. Jimmy Fallon doesn’t run the lights, and the lights guys have their own union and get paid pretty well. None of them has to deliver pizzas.

Adam Jones doesn't run the lights either.  I'm guessing that's a union job that pays better than open mike night at the comedy factory.

Why are you bringing up the lighting guys in the first place?