Root hard for the Giants

FanSince88

All of a sudden, the San Francisco Giants are in the thick of the NL wild card race.  Everyone assumed they would be sellers (and they still should be!  Their team really isn't very good!), but now that they're mathematically in it (ahem, 6% playoff odds), their front office might make the same franchise-killing mistake we made in 2015 and pass on trading their chips at the deadline for a fruitless pursuit of a wild card berth.  They've already taken Bumgarner off the table, apparently.  

The relevance for the Orioles is that the Giants have not one, not two, not three, but FOUR relievers who would be desperately coveted by real contenders who need bullpen help (Smith, Moronta, Watson, and Dyson, and heck even someone might kick the tires on Melancon).  If the Giants keep their relievers off the market, that alone will jack the price of relievers up for other sellers.  Hence, we should be able to get a good bit more for Givens.  

Go Giants!  And hopefully your front office is a shortsighted as ours was in 2015!  

• Upvote 1

The Giants would be fools to buy at the trade deadline. They are sandwiched with five other teams to fight over two wildcard spots and their run differential is -41 runs. They are not a good team. 

If they want to give up a decent prospect for any Orioles players then fine by me. They have won three World Series titles in the last ten years. It's time for the Giants to rebuild and not desperately hang on for a playoff run that will end in one game. 

33 minutes ago, weams said:

As I said their middle infielder production is bad. They could use Villar! 

I just heard on 105.7 that the market for rental relievers is sky high.

Givens would be valuable considering he’s not a rental. Plus the rental cost is hopefully pushing up the price for Mike.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

All of a sudden, the San Francisco Giants are in the thick of the NL wild card race.  Everyone assumed they would be sellers (and they still should be!  Their team really isn't very good!), but now that they're mathematically in it (ahem, 6% playoff odds), their front office might make the same franchise-killing mistake we made in 2015 and pass on trading their chips at the deadline for a fruitless pursuit of a wild card berth.  They've already taken Bumgarner off the table, apparently.  

The relevance for the Orioles is that the Giants have not one, not two, not three, but FOUR relievers who would be desperately coveted by real contenders who need bullpen help (Smith, Moronta, Watson, and Dyson, and heck even someone might kick the tires on Melancon).  If the Giants keep their relievers off the market, that alone will jack the price of relievers up for other sellers.  Hence, we should be able to get a good bit more for Givens.  

Go Giants!  And hopefully your front office is a shortsighted as ours was in 2015!  

Unfortunately the Rangers are folding their tents, so they will have several players available including an excellent and inexpensive starting pitcher. If the Diamondbacks sweep this series with the Orioles, they may decide to go for it, but a wise GM will ignore the fools gold that is the second wildcard.

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

Unfortunately the Rangers are folding their tents, so they will have several players available including an excellent and inexpensive starting pitcher. If the Diamondbacks sweep this series with the Orioles, they may decide to go for it, but a wise GM will ignore the fools gold that is the second wildcard.

Maybe they can trade Nadel to a organization more deserving of his talents.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Giants would be fools to buy at the trade deadline. They are sandwiched with five other teams to fight over two wildcard spots and their run differential is -41 runs. They are not a good team. 

If they want to give up a decent prospect for any Orioles players then fine by me. They have won three World Series titles in the last ten years. It's time for the Giants to rebuild and not desperately hang on for a playoff run that will end in one game. 

The whole point is they're like 13 games over .500 over the last 50ish games. (estimates, but close enough)

They were terrible, but they've now sustained success. They still have the HoF headline pitcher and they have the HoF manager in his last year. Their talent isn't great, but I actually think they should go for it, even if their odds aren't good. I don't think anyone would want to play them in the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

The whole point is they're like 13 games over .500 over the last 50ish games. (estimates, but close enough)

They were terrible, but they've now sustained success. They still have the HoF headline pitcher and they have the HoF manager in his last year. Their talent isn't great, but I actually think they should go for it, even if their odds aren't good. I don't think anyone would want to play them in the playoffs. 

If it nets the Orioles a good prospect then by all means. I think it's fools gold and the Giants will regret it if they decide to go all in.