Hate to do it but... Dalton Pompey?

interloper

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This would be true if Hays had no major league service time.    But he already has 34 days.   He’d have to be held out until mid-May next year to avoid having him accrue a full year of service time by the end of 2020.     My feeling is, if he plays well enough to earn a spot on our roster, he should get called up.   

I’d avoid him having too many days in 2020. There is no benefit to accelerating the timeline. That’s my opinionI’d avoid him having too many days in 2020. There is no benefit to accelerating the timeline. That’s my opinion

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’d avoid him having too many days in 2020. There is no benefit to accelerating the timeline. That’s my opinionI’d avoid him having too many days in 2020. There is no benefit to accelerating the timeline. That’s my opinion

This is Hays. No reason to hold him back. He is not youthful. 

13 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yes ... but the health issues are my main reason. Let him prove he’s healthy and productive 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I think they wanna see him pound AAA for awhile.

I understand the service time thing, but he'll turn 25 next July5th. Hays is not a spring chicken by any stretch. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, jabba72 said:

I understand the service time thing, but he'll turn 25 next July5th. Hays is not a spring chicken by any stretch. 

Service time is not a complete non-factor, but I just feel that Hays’ arrival has been deferred sufficiently long already that if he looks ready, we should pull the trigger.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Service time is not a complete non-factor, but I just feel that Hays’ arrival has been deferred sufficiently long already that if he looks ready, we should pull the trigger.  

I haven't read anything that suggests they'll call him up before Sep. this year.  

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I believe I read you can delay the service time by not being recalling him until next season 18 days in.

Letting him prove he’s healthy and being productive at AAA is not a bad thing.

This team is winning nothing so there is no reason to rush.

At 24, why worry about service time. You'll have him under control until he's 30. That's his prime years.  If he deserves a look, why not.  He earned a spot out of ST. I know a player will say all of the right things, but a some point it sends a negative message if you keep them down imo.

26 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yes ... but the health issues are my main reason. Let him prove he’s healthy and productive 

So he has a worst shot getting hurt in MLB then he does in the minors? Some guys are just broken. If hes not going to stay healthy, it doesn't matter what level hes at. 

2 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

At 24, why worry about service time. You'll have him under control until he's 30. That's his prime years.  If he deserves a look, why not.  He earned a spot out of ST. I know a player will say all of the right things, but a some point it sends a negative message if you keep them down imo.

I see it both ways.    You’re giving up control of the year where Hays plays half the season at age 30 and the other half at 31.    That assumes that he is the kind of player who, once in the majors, performs well enough that he isn’t sent down again.   That can be a valuable season to cede control of, but at the same time, we should weigh whatever’s best for Hays to develop into the best player he can be.    

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I see it both ways.    You’re giving up control of the year where Hays plays half the season at age 30 and the other half at 31.    That assumes that he is the kind of player who, once in the majors, performs well enough that he isn’t sent down again.   That can be a valuable season to cede control of, but at the same time, we should weigh whatever’s best for Hays to develop into the best player he can be.    

If he becomes that kind of player, I would hope the team has learnt from past mistakes, and would have extended before he gets to his age 30 and 31 seasons.

11 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

If he becomes that kind of player, I would hope the team has learnt from past mistakes, and would have extended before he gets to his age 30 and 31 seasons.

The service time situation influences extension negotiations. The sooner a player will be a free agent, the more leverage he has.    So, delaying FA by a year can help a team in its negotiations with a player.   The classic case is Evan Longoria, who was called up two days after the date on which he would have earned a full year of service, and a few weeks later signed an extremely team-friendly extension.   

1 hour ago, Dark Helmet said:

Yeah, these service time issues are important for the top prospects, but at this point Hays aint that.  If they think he's ready, bring him up.  We're starting Dwight Smith, Jr for jeebus sake.  A rebuilding team should be giving chances to young talented players.  

• Upvote 1