Not a lot of room on next years 40 man roster

wildcard

10 hours ago, orioles22 said:

Jake Arietta struggled for a while also. I'd give him at least one more season.

I don’t have a problem with continuing his audition, until the inevitable roster crunch.

but bear in mind that Arietta didn’t succeed until he left. The same might well be true of Scott.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Who could endure a season of Nunez at 3B? Might make folks nostalgic for Wilson Betemit.

2020 is not a year the O's are supposed to be contenders.   The pitching will not be that good.   So you might see other things that don't fit with a contender.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

I don't think you watched the game. Tate was basically lights out for an inning plus. Confident, great stuff, hitting his spots. Hyde got a little greedy extending him. I like Tate better than Kline and it's not even close. 

Agree completely. I didn’t think Tate was going to be anything but I think he has real possibilities. Ortiz is another matter, however.

That is the opposite of a 40 man problem. We probably have more space on our 40 man than any other team.  You think you are saving a space on the 40 man for guys like Mullins and Rondon?  Hess and Carroll.  Man there is so much fat to trim off our 40 man it is hard to know where to begin.

18 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Lol, some of these guys may not last the week.

This is the best post.  You might have 20 guys you want to keep on the 40 man.  Most of these guys wouldn't be on the 40 man of any other team. In fact quite a lot of them are with us because another team didn't want them on their 40 and no other team even wanted to give cash considerations for them to put them on their 40 man.  

Some guys like Nunez and Severino have turned out to be Ok players but the rest of them...

8 minutes ago, atomic said:

That is the opposite of a 40 man problem. We probably have more space on our 40 man than any other team.  You think you are saving a space on the 40 man for guys like Mullins and Rondon?  Hess and Carroll.  Man there is so much fat to trim off our 40 man it is hard to know where to begin.

I have never seen Rondon play.  Have you?  How do you give up on someone you have never seen?  He is 25 years old on a rebuilding team. Mullins is 24 and has options.   

I have not seen an injury report on Carroll.  He certainly had a good minor league career.  I don't have enough information on his injury to give up on him.  Hess is not a starter but he has barely been tried as a reliever.   He is 25 with an option.

Giving up on the young, injured and a player I have never seen does not seem smart to me.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I have never seen Rondon play.  Have you?  How do you give up on someone you have never seen?  He is 25 years old on a rebuilding team. Mullins is 24 and has options.   

I have not seen an injury report on Carroll.  He certainly had a good minor league career.  I don't have enough information on his injury to give up on him.  Hess is not a starter but he has barely been tried as a reliever.   He is 25 with an option.

Giving up on the young, injured and a player I have never seen does not seem smart to me.

Yet the White Sox gave up on Rondon and they are way out of the playoff race.  Mullins can't hit in AA and is about to turn 25.  Hess is completely horrible.  He is only useful if you want to purposely lose games.  None of these guys is going to help the big club.  

If you want guys like them you can sign plenty of them to minor league contracts in the off-season. Actually you can sign better players than them to minor league contracts. 

Not putting a guy on the 40 man roster doesn't mean 1) we'll lose them or 2) that we're giving up on them. All it means is we're willing to risk losing them* because someone else became available that we'd rather have. It would be a great sign to have to not promote 10 of our guys. That means we've identified 10 other guys that Elias would rather have. 

*and to be clear, the risk of losing most of them is the risk that another team is willing to stash them on their own ML roster for a full season. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I don’t have a problem with continuing his audition, until the inevitable roster crunch.

but bear in mind that Arietta didn’t succeed until he left. The same might well be true of Scott.

Not even close to a roster crunch now.

I believed then it was a mistake to let Arrieta go, just as it would be for Scott if we didn't include him in the 40-man roster this year or next.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Not putting a guy on the 40 man roster doesn't mean 1) we'll lose them or 2) that we're giving up on them. All it means is we're willing to risk losing them* because someone else became available that we'd rather have. It would be a great sign to have to not promote 10 of our guys. That means we've identified 10 other guys that Elias would rather have. 

*and to be clear, the risk of losing most of them is the risk that another team is willing to stash them on their own ML roster for a full season. 

But that is not the discussion that is going on.   Posters are saying DFA or release players because they don't like them, or don't think they will every help the team.  No mention of replacing them.

On 8/1/2019 at 10:21 AM, wildcard said:

Just projecting.....    Ages as of July 1st 2020.

O's need to add 2-4 starters this off season.  AAA types for under 1M each.

Starters (7)

1. Means (27)

2.Wojo  (31)  Jury still out

3. Cobb (32)  If healthy

4. Bundy (27)  Starter because they need him.   Could be converted to a reliever after Bowie starters arrive.

5. Kremer (24)

6. Akin  (25)

7 . Sedlock (25)

Relievers (13)

8. Fry (27)

9. Armstrong (29)

10. Castro (25)   2017-18 ERA under 4.00 and improving in the 2nd half.

11. Givens (30)

12 Tanner Scott (25) Has 1 option left.  Can't give up on an arm like this until he is out of option and still has no command.

13. Kline  (28)   Has 2 option left.  Same comment as Tanner.

14. Hess (26)   Need to be tried as  reliever.  Has a 3.07 ERA as a reliever at AAA.  Has one option left.

15. Harvey (25)

16. Tate  (26) Has 2 options left.  Has 1.67 ERA as reliever at Bowie.  

17. Bleier (33)   2016-2018 ERA under 2.00. Bad 2019.   Left see how his next 2 month go.

18. Ortiz  (24) Has 2 option left.    Strong arm.   Needs to pitch to improve.

19. Carroll - (27) Depending on health.  If he was healthy he is just the kind of pitcher the O's would be trying to add. Has 1 option left.  Has a 2.73 ERA in the minors with over a strikeout per inning.

20. Alvarado (25)  2.70 ERA at AA.

21. Ynoa (27)   Jury still out. Out of options.

Catchers (3)

22. Severino

23. Sisco

Infielders/DH (9)

24.Davis

25. Mancini

26. Villar

27. Nunez

28. Alberto

29. Martin

30. Rondon

31.Mountcastle

32.  Ruiz - Questionable because he is out of options.

Outfielders (8)

33. Santander

34.  Hays

35. Diaz

36. Wilkerson

37. Stewart

38. McKenna

39. Smith - Will get another chance to prove himself in Sept.  Has an option left.

40.  Mullins

Who on this list do you think would pass through waivers.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

But that is not the discussion that is going on.   Posters are saying DFA or release players because they don't like them, or don't think they will every help the team.  No mention of replacing them.

Exactly.

A lot of people are acting like every position player needs to be Trout and every pitcher needs to be Scherzer on for every player on the 40.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

2020 is not a year the O's are supposed to be contenders.   The pitching will not be that good.   So you might see other things that don't fit with a contender.

Willingly putting a useless defender at 3 B is never justified. Better to keep Ruiz if Núñez is our only alternative.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Who on this list do you think would pass through waivers.

Realistically like 8-10 conservatively.   

Alvarado isn't a must add.  Ruiz is gone.  Davis should be gone.  Villar could be non tendered.

I'm pretty sure that Mullins, Rondon, Martin, Ynoa, Wilkerson would all have about an 80%+ chance of clearing waivers.