Another Reason Why Baseball is the "Great American Game."

The Wedge

Only in baseball will an all time great player take part in an opening ceremony of an all-star game, and one of the active players gets his autograph on camera.

I think Jose Reyes getting Willie Mays' autograph after catching his first pitch has to be one of the greatest things I've ever seen at an All-Star game. Talk about a classic, candid, unscripted moment. Reyes tries to hand the ball back to Mays, and Mays presses it back in to Reyes' hand...and you could almost hear Reyes sheepishly ask "okay...can I have your autograph?"

But only in baseball would the guy have a pen in his pocket, and do it right then and there.

I'm totally being serious, too. I know I have a tendency to be sarcastic or sardonic, but I'm serious. That was one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

I agree also - nice moment!

Say Hey had some pretty good gas for an oldtimer! He was my idol growing up in New York. Those were the daze my friends! Yankees, Dodgers and Giants in the same town - and all good teams. Willie, Mickey and the Duke patrolling CF and hitting with power. That old right field wall in Ebbetts Field, after which OPACY is patterned, was so awesome!

Mays was the greatest player to watch - his love for the game, his humility and his skill set all complemented each other! I hated it when they left for SF in 1958....:(

BTW, speaking of Ebbetts Field and Brooklyn, WaPo writer, Leonard Shapiro has a nice article on the Dodger move to LA and what it meant to him. He also mentions the HBO Series, "Brooklyn Dodgers: the Ghosts of Flatbush", which airs tomorrow night.

I'm bummed I missed it. Just turned on the game halfway through the 2nd inning.

Nice avatar, bobmc :) is that one of my pics?

You know it is! I was wondering if I should give you your propers in some way. I guess this is it.....:) . Thanks Moose for the avatar. I also have a nice EB with chain dangling to use later on, so I thank you in advance for that!

You know it is! I was wondering if I should give you your propers in some way. I guess this is it.....:) . Thanks Moose for the avatar. I also have a nice EB with chain dangling to use later on, so I thank you in advance for that!

Yeah man, lemme know if you want any prints...I'll give ya the hometown discount :)

Archived