Lowther and Wells on development tools in the minors this year

Frobby

Maybe this belongs in the minors section, but I think the methods used to develop our minor leaguers are of interest to readers on the main board.    Mods, feel free to move if appropriate.    

Zac Lowther and Alex Wells were at Camden Yards yesterday and gave interviews.    I thought this bit was interesting:

Both pitchers were asked to compare how they were developed and handled last year under the previous regime, and what has been different this season.

Lowther said: “I think just the development side. You get a lot more scouting. You get more scouting reports on the other guys. We are each looking to get better somewhere. Whether it’s development, whether it’s getting your routine down, figuring out who you are as a pitcher. A lot of little things. It’s not that we didn’t do them last year, but they are more pushed towards you.”

Said Wells: “There is a lot more data. We get to see more heat maps, more video. Before we face a team we go to the clubhouse and on video check out what the hitters’ tendencies are. See what they do in certain counts. Even after a start, we go in and look at video of ourselves to see what we want to work on for our next start.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/08/on-bowie-off-night-baysox-pitchers-take-it-in-at-oriole-park.html

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

This is all really encouraging and I'm surprised Elias and Co. were able to implement their development program as quickly as they have in just a year.  But it seems to be working, especially for the pitchers.  

I also really liked Lowther's interview on TV last night too.  He basically talked about how he really buys into the amount of data they give him out of necessity because he needs to get the most out of his arsenal without amazing velocity.  Hopefully guys with plus stuff have a similar attitude 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Maybe this belongs in the minors section, but I think the methods used to develop our minor leaguers are of interest to readers on the main board.    Mods, feel free to move if appropriate.    

Zac Lowther and Alex Wells were at Camden Yards yesterday and gave interviews.    I thought this bit was interesting:

It was an interesting give and take and all the while the Jays were hitting bombs to all parts of the field.  Lowther, very astute as was Wells,  when asked if he liked the opportunity the O's will provide said, "Yes, but when we get here we want to stay so we need to do all that's necessary to help to assure that."  (I paraphrased and he basically said that he wasn't ready to rush the process.)  Elias seems to be doing just that with his prospects.

• Upvote 1

Wonder how much of this is due to changed regimes, and how much is just the standard jump from A to AA.  I've read many times that AA is the first spot where scouting reports and those types of pre-game discussions really come in to play, so some of this could just be standard.

• Upvote 1

I've said for, Idunno, 15 years that development was a bigger issue than talent, when it came to the Orioles inability to produce quality pitchers, especially starters.  Well I can't quite say I'm vindicated yet because these young pitchers have not played at the major league level, much less succeeded at it.  But the signs are encouraging.  I'm so glad to hear Elias' plan is working so quickly.

I think we have to think beyond stage 1 to realize just how this approach helps with player development. All they said was we scout other teams better. What's next?

1. They're much better informed about how to see hitter tendencies and attack weaknesses.
2. They pitch much more to the available strengths (e.g., away from hitter strengths).
3. To the extent weaknesses of hitters don't align with strengths of pitchers, they need to know that and work on how to attack those weaknesses.

I really think what comes across as a throwaway line about better scouting is key to better preparing our pitchers to face all types of hitters. It's so much smarter than an "aim for the corners" philosophy.

13 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Wonder how much of this is due to changed regimes, and how much is just the standard jump from A to AA.  I've read many times that AA is the first spot where scouting reports and those types of pre-game discussions really come in to play, so some of this could just be standard.

Yup, that was my first reaction.  Question would be - are they doing these same kinds of things now at Frederick?