Why did Davis go after Hyde? He was not happy.

Snutchy

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, I don’t think so.    I did not see the plays in question last night, but to me, Davis has had a pretty good year defensively to this point, and has looked considerably better than last year.    He came to camp a little thinner, had spent a lot of time in the offseason working on flexibility, and I think his reflexes have generally been better on defense this year than they were the last year or two.    If he had some lapses in concentration or effort on defense last night, I don’t think that’s been typical of his season.   

You certainly would know more than me. Last year's team had some decent talent, and yet played poorly. Davis was a major contributor to their performance or lack there of. I can't imagine what is going on in his head. Being on public display and performing so poorly. On many "walks of shame" can a man take before it is a form of abuse. Do the owners feel he has to at least put the time in, even though it was their poor judgement that led to the contract? Is there some "fear" that if they release him, some team will pick him up and he rebounds, while the O's pay him? Anyone that thinks this is ok because of the rebuilding phase the O's are in are off base IMO. Being soundly trounced in this series may have contributed to this event. But, his presence on this team is ludicrous.  

Davis's play and nonchalance are embarrassing. I have zero problems with calling him out ... in the dugout... on the field... in the clubhouse... in the manager's office. The manager is allowed to call out the player and try to motivate the player.

It's simple: don't act nonchalant and you won't get called out. 

I personally think Hyde has done a great job this entire season. I've started to really like the guy. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Snutchy said:

Maybe this is a reaction to Hyde throwing the team under the bus? 

I have no idea but Davis is stupid for going after his boss. I’ve had bosses piss me off but I would have never gone after one of them. As far as I’m concerned Davis should be gone.

1 hour ago, turtlebowl said:

The thing that isn't clear to me is did Hyde call him out for lack of hustle but was not intending on pinch hitting for him until Davis's reaction in the dugout?  Not that it matters all that much but I would love to know the order of the incident.  

While Hyde did not say who or what sparked the “disagreement," he did say the decision to pull Davis from the game came after the argument. Hyde added that he and Davis have yet to speak about the altercation but that they will.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-chris-davis-brandon-hyde-20190808-o4y7tmmtdjffzlnhumvfo6juhe-story.html

He needs to be released. It is bad for the team and for the organization to keep giving at-bats to an historically awful veteran who is nowhere near the standard for having a successful Major League Baseball team. I just don't see any upside any longer to having him on the roster. He's been producing at a sub-60 OPS+ for more than a year and a half. It's time to bring the torture to an end. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

But they are still throwing errors. They are not fielding errors. When firstbasemen scoop balls, they are adding value. Missing scoops can not be considered a negative when they are trying to make lemonade out of shitty throws that are rightfully ruled errors.

AceKing Posted 10 hours ago

It bounced over the base

Thanks for making my point for me.

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

In the real world, managers get fired all the time for attacking employees. 

Hyde is not the owner, he is just another employee.

Hyde didn't attack Davis...it was the other way around. If you're a grown adult there are no words that justify physically attacking someone let alone your manager. If Davis doesn't have the willpower to physically restrain himself then perhaps he should join an anger management support group. 

11 hours ago, Darkhawk said:

There were four plays you can critique Davis for in the span of two or three innings. 

1. Not running for a ball that might have been catchable in the first row or two of first base foul territory.

2. Basket catching Castro's flip into his shoulder to end the fourth.

3. Weird footwork and lack of hustle on Villar's bad throw.

4. And a showboaty shovel flip to Castro in the fifth.

He did not play hard today. 

Other context. Means looked great through 3 innings, then a lazy fly ball lands because our 2B playing CF doesn't take control. The wheels fall off. Means gives up a 3R home run with 2 outs and after about 30 pitches in that same 4th inning and gets taken out. Miguel Castro comes in and looks like the dude with a good arm who can't throw strikes on a little league team. Scott was even worse.

The game was a train wreck after that ball in CF. Davis was playing like he was one of the keystone cops in charge. It wasn't as important that he didn't make the scoop as it was that he looked like the rest of the game was a joke to him.

Then Hyde said something in the dugout. Good for Hyde. At least Means, Castro and Scott were trying and broken up over what was happening. Davis was treating it like a beer league softball game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

On a positive note this is the first positive contribution Mark Trumbo has made to the club this year!

Not going to lie, that was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this video this morning.

As for my overall take, I hope this hastens Davis' departure from the team. Regardless of what Hyde said, there is never a reason to physically go after your manager in the dugout. 

Hyde has been nothing but a professional and to see a player such as Davis lose it like that suggests that his struggles are mounting to the point that he can't control himself. 

It will be interesting see how Elias handles this situation.

• Upvote 4