TT: 2019 Top Prospects on the radar list

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

So here are the players that are “on the radar” for inclusion in the Top 30...

Jaylen Ferguson – OF: Finally realizing some of his tools. Could be an interesting guy after talking with scouts.

Wasn't he a third round pick of the Ravens this year?

I'm not real bullish on our position guys pretty much anywhere. 

I've wavered on pitching. A skeptic would say we have a lot of #4/5 starter to middle relief types of arms after our top 2. The optimist sees so many of those arms that we think a couple will exceed the current back of the rotation expectation. Baumann might be that guy. Kremer might be that guy. Neither is certain by any Means* though.

*pun intended

• Upvote 1

Ouch, that's 8 guys to be dropped from the haul of 15 suspects from last year's "purge."

So what's left?

Diaz, Kremer for Machado.

Rogers for Britton.

Phillips, Zimmerman for Gausman.

Villar for Schoop.

"Meh" is right. Or as my dear old dad would say, "Bupkees."

On the brighter side, maybe one true star (Kremer?) emerges from that cast of still-hopefuls.

6 hours ago, now said:

Ouch, that's 8 guys to be dropped from the haul of 15 suspects from last year's "purge."

So what's left?

Rogers for Britton.

Villar for Schoop.

On the brighter side, maybe one true star (Kremer?) emerges from that cast of still-hopefuls.

looking back, it might have been pretty suicidal for DD to make deals with teams that were as well run as the Dodgers, Braves, and Brewers.  Problem is that we couldn’t make any more deals with Seattle

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, now said:

So what's left?

Rogers for Britton.

Villar for Schoop.

Should have kept Valera...

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, now said:

So what's left?

Rogers for Britton.

Villar for Schoop.

That's why I was perfectly happy to see the rookie ball kids Elias got for Cashner. The guys clubs are willing to give up in the high minors are usually no better than your average run of the mill minor league free agents. Even the vaunted Yusniel Diaz hasn't done much to distinguish himself at Bowie.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, vab said:

That's why I was perfectly happy to see the rookie ball kids Elias got for Cashner. The guys clubs are willing to give up in the high minors are usually no better than your average run of the mill minor league free agents. Even the vaunted Yusniel Diaz hasn't done much to distinguish himself at Bowie.

Sixteenth in the league in OPS despite being two years younger than average (only one younger player ahead of him).  He's had a quiet year but it's been pretty good.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sixteenth in the league in OPS despite being two years younger than average (only one younger player ahead of him).  He's had a quiet year but it's been pretty good.

Yep, so many posters are failing to adjust for league context. 16th in OPS in the International League is .964, but my guess is that if he posts an .850 OPS with Norfolk next year (good for 54th in the league this year), everyone will say he has taken a huge step forward.

Likewise, I expect everyone to be wildly disappointed with our vaunted AA pitchers as they have ERAs in the high 3s and 4s (at least!) in Norfolk next year.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I'm not real bullish on our position guys pretty much anywhere. 

I've wavered on pitching. A skeptic would say we have a lot of #4/5 starter to middle relief types of arms after our top 2. The optimist sees so many of those arms that we think a couple will exceed the current back of the rotation expectation. Baumann might be that guy. Kremer might be that guy. Neither is certain by any Means* though.

*pun intended

I'm a bit more optimistic than you, but even if the rest of the guys outside of Hall and Rodriguez become No.4 starters at best, I still think it puts the staff in an okay position. While I don't think Means will be the guy we saw in the first half over his career, I do think he's got a shot to settle in as a sold mid-rotation option and if two guys (Kremer, Baumann, etc) can establish themselves as solid No.4 types, that's an okay back-end of the rotation. Of course, the problem is that puts a lot of pressure on Hall and Rodriguez to both be No.2 type starters and the likelihood of both doing so becomes slim.

As for the position players, I tend to agree. Rutschman is the only one that seems to have much of a chance to become a star. I am bullish enough of Diaz, Hays and Mountcastle to believe they each have a good chance to become viable big league options, but all three are flawed. 

This system does really need another top end arm and a couple top end bats to get really, truly excited. But, at least there's progress.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

This system does really need another top end arm and a couple top end bats to get really, truly excited. But, at least there's progress.

Yup. I agree with pretty much everything in your post, but your last point is my bottom line. I don't hate what we have (I like it), but there's a long way to go before we can fill out a 25 man roster that can compete. That's ok. We're early in the rebuild. I just think we need to remind ourselves every now and then.

28 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well good thing Hunter Harvey is a guy to watch. 

If you read enough @Luke-OH posts about Harvey, you wouldn't be giving up yet. You still love to have that arm in your system and you can't discount the injuries and resulting lack of professional experience when judging how well he's executing pitches at the top of the minors. 

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well good thing Hunter Harvey is a guy to watch. 

Harvey was already on the list. This list was players "on the radar" for being added to the list and players on the radar to be dropped. Players not mentioned will still be on eh list. There is still upside with Harvey but it's not as high as it once was.