Matusz Article

Satyr3206

I'm sure they wouldn't, but there has to be some sense of sanity to this. If we were beating up the front door for David Price, I might (MIGHT!) be more inclined to extend, but as much as I like Matusz, there really was not a super stud pitching prospect in this draft (with all due respect to all the pitchers) - this was a positional player draft and teams loved every last ounce of it.

Pass....

How much of a difference in talent is there between Price and Matusz? IIRC there isn't much.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some beautiful posts in this thread. I, too, would love to hear a reaction of a player who turns down 3.25 million to return to school. With Strasburg being draft eligible next year, he'd almost assuredly go #1. I'm not too sure the ceiling that Matusz see's here.

How much of a difference in talent is there between Price and Matusz? IIRC there isn't much.
You don't RC. :)

Price was undoubtedly the best talent in the draft last year, and that draft included Matt Wieters.

Matusz has some serious talent, but he's a level below David Price. But so is every other pitcher in the minor leagues.

You don't RC. :)

Price was undoubtedly the best talent in the draft last year, and that draft included Matt Wieters.

Matusz has some serious talent, but he's a level below David Price. But so is every other pitcher in the minor leagues.

He's a level below but that doesn't mean he's not one of the top 10 pitching prospects in the majors. He's certainly a notch above Tillman and Arrieta and would be our best pitching prospect instantly. If he will not require a ML contract, I give him the 5 million. The O's are busting the slot everywhere else so I wouldn't expect Matusz to ask for anything less. Just pay the guy and get him in the organization.

We are paying Jay Gibbons a whole lot more than that not to play for us, so I think we can afford it.

He's a level below but that doesn't mean he's not one of the top 10 pitching prospects in the majors. He's certainly a notch above Tillman and Arrieta and would be our best pitching prospect instantly. If he will not require a ML contract, I give him the 5 million. The O's are busting the slot everywhere else so I wouldn't expect Matusz to ask for anything less. Just pay the guy and get him in the organization.

Price is projected as an ace though. Isn't Matusz's projection a #2 at best but more likely a #3?

He's a level below but that doesn't mean he's not one of the top 10 pitching prospects in the majors. He's certainly a notch above Tillman and Arrieta.
I don't know, Tillman's probably a top-10 SP prospect in the majors. I'm not sure Matusz would be quite at that level. He's probably above Arrieta, but I'd rank Tillman a bit ahead.

But none of them really compare to Price. The #2 guy in baseball, whoever you wanna say that is, is way behind Price.

Price is projected as an ace though. Isn't Matusz's projection a #2 at best but more likely a #3?
No, Matusz has #1 ceiling if everything goes great, most likely a #2 though.

No pitcher who goes in the top 5 is ever a "#2 at best". They may not be the hard-throwing prototypical ace type ceiling, but there are many types of #1's.

I don't know, Tillman's probably a top-10 SP prospect in the majors. I'm not sure Matusz would be quite at that level. He's probably above Arrieta, but I'd rank Tillman a bit ahead.

But none of them really compare to Price. The #2 guy in baseball, whoever you wanna say that is, is way behind Price.

I believe guys like Callis and Sickels have slotted him as our #1 pitching prospect when he signs. So if he ranks above Tillman, than he's top 10 in the majors at least...

No, Matusz has #1 ceiling if everything goes great, most likely a #2 though.

No pitcher who goes in the top 5 is ever a "#2 at best". They may not be the hard-throwing prototypical ace type ceiling, but there are many types of #1's.

You're right. My mistake. :o

I believe guys like Callis and Sickels have slotted him as our #1 pitching prospect when he signs. So if he ranks above Tillman, than he's top 10 in the majors at least...
That was compared to Tillman in early June. Tillman's value has continued to skyrocket since then and Matusz has missed an opportunity to pitch professionally for a couple months.

He may still be ranked ahead by some people, but I think Tillman's gotta be considered the better prospect at this point, similar upside, not quite as much of a sure thing, but he's much further along, which is very important.

I'm sure they wouldn't, but there has to be some sense of sanity to this. If we were beating up the front door for David Price, I might (MIGHT!) be more inclined to extend, but as much as I like Matusz, there really was not a super stud pitching prospect in this draft (with all due respect to all the pitchers) - this was a positional player draft and teams loved every last ounce of it.

Pass....

While I applaud the concept of paying above slot for premium talent, I fully agree that there has to be some sense of sanity, if only to avoid setting a buckle-under precedent/reputation for future negotiations with other players. I'll put my trust in AM on this one to know where to draw the line in the sand.

My other concern, though, is that we really have to stop beating up these front doors. Someone's bound to get hurt! :)

Archived