Matusz Article

Satyr3206

Hello!!! Anyone watching the last month. Pitching, Pitching, Pitching, Pitching, Pitching....Get him in the system. People won't bat an eye at giving Tex 20+ million per year for 10 years, but we can't give the Best pitcher in the draft 5 Million. Honestly, who cares. Its not our money - Make angelos pay. We need pitching, pitching wins. Pitching, Pitching, Pitching!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It most certainly is your money. Unless you don't go to the games and don't watch or listen to the games on the TV or radio. Do think that Angelos pays the players out of his pocket? Certainly not. That money comes from income derided by ticket sales, vendor sales at the ballpark and nationwide, advertisement at the ballpark; on radio and TV plus other miscellaneous revenue generated by the Orioles.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Matusz won't sign for anything under $5 million, then you have to pay him $5 million.

I can't believe we would let him go over a difference of $1.5 million. $1.5 million is what it costs to sign a mediocre backup catcher for one season. Letting him walk because you don't want to pay him $5 million instead of $3.5 million would be the epitome of penny wise, pound foolish thinking.

And then it's $7 mil, and then it's $10 mil, etc, etc. That's not smart business.

He's got to give a compelling reason that he's worth twice what last year's 4th pick (Moscos) got. Frankly, I don't see any reason close to compelling. It's not like Matusz was projected to go higher than he went. The absolute highest I would concede to him is $3.5 mil. That's more than fair, imo.

And then it's $7 mil, and then it's $10 mil, etc, etc. That's not smart business.

He's got to give a compelling reason that he's worth twice what last year's 4th pick (Moscos) got. Frankly, I don't see any reason close to compelling. It's not like Matusz was projected to go higher than he went. The absolute highest I would concede to him is $3.5 mil. That's more than fair, imo.

We paid Wieters 6 million and have gone far above slot to sign other draft picks drafted lower than Matusz, so why shouldn't Matusz get more money? Basically we've started this trend of overpaying for draft talent within the organization, so it's kind of hard to stay he shouldn't be paid at least 2 million over slot.

We paid Wieters 6 million and have gone far above slot to sign other draft picks drafted lower than Matusz, so why shouldn't Matusz get more money? Basically we've started this trend of overpaying for draft talent within the organization, so it's kind of hard to stay he shouldn't be paid at least 2 million over slot.

The O's can make the argument that Weiters was a one time trip off the reservation, prior to Weiters the O's were pretty well known for sticking to slot in the 1st round.

However, the O's can only make that argument once, after that it won't fly. One time is an irregularity, two or three is a pattern. As a team that is looking to build through the draft and player development, the O's can't afford to overpay this year. Fortunately I think AM knows this and he'll stick to his guns. My prediction is that Matusz gets a 2.75-3.00m ML deal.

We paid Wieters 6 million and have gone far above slot to sign other draft picks drafted lower than Matusz, so why shouldn't Matusz get more money? Basically we've started this trend of overpaying for draft talent within the organization, so it's kind of hard to say he shouldn't be paid at least 2 million over slot.
No, its not hard to say that at all.

The reason we "went over slot" for guys later in the draft is because they fell. They are 3rd round talents we're drafting in the 9th, 20th, or 43rd round. So you've gotta give them 3rd round money or else they are going to college.

HS players get over slot money far more often than college guys. Some really top notch college guys demand big bonuses, but Matusz really isn't in that echelon, whereas Wieters was.

Anything more than about $3.5M for Matusz is a mistake, IMO. Not because the extra million or two spent to sign him would be lost, but because of the tens of millions that would be lost over the next several drafts spent on 1st round picks demanding out of proportion signing bonuses raking us over the coals.

Everyone knew going in that it would take extra to sign Weiters, and that's the only reason he fell to the O's. He was regarded as one of the best catching prospects ever, so you make an exception for him. Matusz is a heckuva prospect... but he ain't no Weiters. That's not a knock on Matusz. It's just saying how exceptional Weiters was/is.

Everyone knew going in that it would take extra to sign Weiters, and that's the only reason he fell to the O's. He was regarded as one of the best catching prospects ever, so you make an exception for him. Matusz is a heckuva prospect... but he ain't no Weiters. That's not a knock on Matusz. It's just saying how exceptional Weiters was/is.

Correct Ruz.

Matusz isn't even in the same zip code of Wieters and he thinks he should get almost as much as he did?

Yea, that must be the "fair offer" stuff he is talking about. :rolleyes:

Correct Ruz.

Matusz isn't even in the same zip code of Wieters and he thinks he should get almost as much as he did?

Yea, that must be the "fair offer" stuff he is talking about. :rolleyes:

Wieters was asking for $10 mm two days before the deadline. This is the way the game is played.

Wieters was asking for $10 mm two days before the deadline. This is the way the game is played.
Agree, him asking for $5M means they'll almost certainly agree at something in the $3M range.

I have very few doubts that Matusz will be about $3M richer, and the Orioles will be one stud SP richer come midnight on April 16th.

Agree, him asking for $5M means they'll almost certainly agree at something in the $3M range.

I have very few doubts that Matusz will be about $3M richer, and the Orioles will be one stud SP richer come midnight on April 16th.

I think he wants more than 3 million...Now, does that mean he will turn down 3 million, who knows?

But the projected slot for this year is around 2.75M....So, he is asking for 5 and hoping for 3? I doubt it...I am sure the contract he is looking for is 3.5-4 million, which is a joke IMO.

And I believe Wieters dropped down to 8 million close to the deadline???

Yup, for some reason they continue to hold out until literally the last minute. I'm sure Matusz will sign.

I thought it came out afterward that he never asked for anything close to 10mil?

Irregardless, I think we sign Matusz and start him in Aberdeen next year refusing to move him up for his own morale! And make him park cars on his non-throwing days to keep him humble...

Yup, for some reason they continue to hold out until literally the last minute. I'm sure Matusz will sign.

Yea, end of the day no way he walks away unless the Orioles are being ridiculous, which I don't believe.

But they will sign for a number that they should have knocked out months ago though I bet.

Yea, end of the day no way he walks away unless the Orioles are being ridiculous, which I don't believe.

But they will sign for a number that they should have knocked out months ago though I bet.

Yeah, but as you correctly pointed out, this is the way the game is played...

Which is actually kind of ridiculous. Matusz could have done his homework and known that draft picks start off way high and end up settling for a number that's not anywhere close to where they started.

But it's whatever, I hope it gets done.

Archived