Survey rates Orioles TV announcers the fourth-best in majors

Going Underground

The Orioles are on their way to having another historically bad season, but their TV announcers continue to rank among the major leagues’ best, according to a survey of visitors to the website awfulannouncing.com.

The broadcast team, which usually consists of play-by-play announcer Gary Thorne and color analysts Jim Palmer or Mike Bordick, achieved the fourth-highest weighted score among visitors to the site. Fans were asked to grade the broadcasters on an A-to-F scale; average scores were calculated, with 4.0 being the highest score possible. The O’s team’s score of 2.90 placed them fourth, behind only the San Diego Padres (2.99), San Francisco Giants (2.98) and New York Mets (2.97).

Sadly, for our baseball brethren down I-95 in Washington, D.C., the Nationals broadcast team of Bob Carpenter and F.P. Santangelo finished dead last, with a score of 1.53. That may be small solace, with the Nationals still fighting for a playoff berth and the Orioles long out of the running. But we O’s fans will take what we can get this season.

Nationals TV announcers are terrible. 

https://www.baltimoresun.com/features/baltimore-insider/bs-fe-announcers-20190821-5r7aiz6tpvftjopg5axztedtt4-story.html

• Upvote 1

I like Thorne and Palmer very much, but Bordick is beyond awful. He says nothing worth hearing, are you he says it with a voice that is an emotional and unpleasant. I find it interesting that the survey didn’t apparently address the radio guys, Who are all terrible

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

., the Nationals broadcast team of Bob Carpenter and F.P. Santangelo finished dead last,

They haven’t been listening to the Yankee or Bosox folks. 

That Yankee woman sounds like Captain Janeway...yick

48 minutes ago, Philip said:

I like Thorne and Palmer very much, but Bordick is beyond awful. He says nothing worth hearing, are you he says it with a voice that is an emotional and unpleasant. I find it interesting that the survey didn’t apparently address the radio guys, Who are all terrible

Periodically, there are surveys on the radio teams as well.   The last one was a couple of years ago, before Angel and Manfra retired.    

I think they should get bonus points for doing a good job, while watching the losing, bonehead plays and various craziness.  They stay collected and still put together good commentary (generally). 

Sometimes they say some super obvious things that make me laugh, but that's probably true of all announcers. 

8 hours ago, Philip said:

They haven’t been listening to the Yankee or Bosox folks. 

That Yankee woman sounds like Captain Janeway...yick

These are ratings of TV announcers.

Suzyn Waldman is exclusively a radio announcer for the NYYs. And, since she's teamed with John Sterling, she's arguably the stronger part of the NYY radio broadcasts.

Sad.

Edited by spiritof66
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, atomic said:

Don't the Yankees have Ken Singleton. I always find him interesting to listen to.

Singleton had planned to retire after the 2018 season, but changed his mind and came back for another season. He was scheduled for just 18 games this year, all in Baltimore, TB or NY. He's expected to retire after this season.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2018/08/ken_singleton_says_its_official_details_why_hes_st.html

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-sports-ken-singleton-return-yes-network-20180920-story.html

The NYY announcers usually don't even make a pretense of doing much research or providing much information about the NYYs' opponent if it's not the RS. (As a series goes on, they'll tell you what they've noticed earlier in the series.) The main exception has been Singleton when the NYYs play the Orioles. He obviously keeps up with the Orioles and offers a lot of facts and insights about the Orioles. I don't know whether he's just a Sun subscriber and watches some O's games, or goes beyond that, but he follows his old team pretty closely.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Singleton had planned to retire after the 2018 season, but changed his mind and came back for another season. He was scheduled for just 18 games this year, all in Baltimore, TB or NY. He's expected to retire after this season.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2018/08/ken_singleton_says_its_official_details_why_hes_st.html

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-sports-ken-singleton-return-yes-network-20180920-story.html

The NYY announcers usually don't even make a pretense of doing much research or providing much information about the NYYs' opponent if it's not the RS. (As a series goes on, they'll tell you what they've noticed earlier in the series.) The main exception has been Singleton when the NYYs play the Orioles. He obviously keeps up with the Orioles and offers a lot of facts and insights about the Orioles. I don't know whether he's just a Sun subscriber and watches some O's games, or goes beyond that, but he follows his old team pretty closely.

Oh I only watch them when the Orioles are playing the Yankees.  Probably why I like listening to Singleton is  he provides a lot of details to past Orioles teammates and the  team in general.  Whenever I watch a game I listen to the other teams announcers just because hearing the same guys over and over again becomes boring.  Nothing against the Orioles crew but I think I have heard every story Palmer or Bordick could tell by now. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Thorne and Palmer are the very best.  And I don't care how Thorne pronounces or doesn't pronounce names, I don't care that he sometimes misjudges how hard balls are hit.  Golden pipes.   Could listen to Thorne read a phonebook.  Palmer is a knowitall but he's got a right to be.  He's great to listen to, as well.

I actually like Hunter on the radio, but the always sunny disposition on TV is intolerable.  I feel bad saying this because I think he's a genuine good guy, but Bordick isn't good.  And I'm being nice.  He tries hard though.  McDonald is fantastic.

Carpenter and Santangelo are absolutely atrocious.  If I happen to catch a Nats game, I'd almost prefer to mute it.

All of this, word for word.

I like Hunter on the radio because I don't have to listen to him when I'm watching the game. I say the same though, he seems like a good guy (I have no frame of reference to the contrary) but his announcing is terrible and I just cannot listen to him.

Carpenter and FP are the worst in the entire sports world, let alone baseball.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

These are ratings of TV announcers.

Suzyn Waldman is exclusively a radio announcer on the NYYs. And, since she's teamed with John Sterling, she's arguably the stronger part of the NYY radio broadcasts.

Sad.

Ok, I'm never going to complain about having to hear Hunter and Bordick on the radio again. Gregg Olson, Brian Roberts and Ben McDonald have done a lot of radio fill in work as commentators this year, and they are all a pretty good listen. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, atomic said:

Oh I only watch them when the Orioles are playing the Yankees.  Probably why I like listening to Singleton is  he provides a lot of details to past Orioles teammates and the  team in general.  Whenever I watch a game I listen to the other teams announcers just because hearing the same guys over and over again becomes boring.  Nothing against the Orioles crew but I think I have heard every story Palmer or Bordick could tell by now. 

I agree with your comments on Singleton, though I thought at times he went too far in ripping the pre-2012 Orioles for their terrible play. But I've found that listening to Singleton do a NYY-Indians game (pleasant, but bland) is a lot different from listening to him when the O's are playing. And I think I've heard most of his stories, most of which seem to involve Earl, but they're good even the second or third time around. Occasionally their accuracy gets checked while he's on the air, and he appears to have a really good and detailed memory.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Yeah, Bordick is so bad it's hard to give the crew anything above average overall.

• Upvote 1