Austin Hays called up, Ryan Mountcastle not called up

MurphDogg

I've looked for reports on Mountcastle in left and haven't seen anything except a few notes on particular plays that Can of corn listed. I saw him play first base for two games in April and he was fine there, even though I admit there were no especially tough plays.

Just now, orioles22 said:

I've looked for reports on Mountcastle in left and haven't seen anything except a few notes on particular plays that Can of corn listed. I saw him play first base for two games in April and he was fine there, even though I admit there were no especially tough plays.

Sample size is pretty small for someone knowledgeable to use a term like unplayable.

• Upvote 1

Not sure why an Orioles' fan would be so negative with a promising player like Mountcastle. My only complaint was that Mountcastle didn't play left every day. I'd also like to see him in Baltimore now to get a month of work. I can see Rutschman being delayed a few weeks if he's ready in 2021, but not Mountcastle at this point.

33 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Not sure why an Orioles' fan would be so negative with a promising player like Mountcastle. My only complaint was that Mountcastle didn't play left every day. I'd also like to see him in Baltimore now to get a month of work. I can see Rutschman being delayed a few weeks if he's ready in 2021, but not Mountcastle at this point.

Mountcastle might be the better hitter. 

2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I don’t think it’s that they consider him not good enough for a trial. It’s a combination of him learning new defensive positions and the controlling the service clock.

I think it is the clock, period.  How does he learn “new defensive positions” sitting at home for September? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, orioles22 said:

I’m not negative, and I haven’t said anything negative about him in LF. I’m disappointed that some people read into my comments anything they choose. It’s a poor reflection on them.

2 hours ago, orioles22 said:

Because there are obvious flaws to his game.  I just find this whole thing amusing.  We do nothing but pick apart the flaws of the guys on the current roster, yet we've got a guy in the minors who has many of the same flaws that we like to pick apart on here.  Yet it's somewhat frowned upon because he's a prospect and on some publications Top 100 list.  I'm not saying there's no upside to Mountcastle, I just find it odd that people absolutely can't wait to see this guy when he's got the same deficiencies we love to blast current Orioles for.  That, IMO, is a bit odd.

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m not negative, and I haven’t said anything negative about him in LF. I’m disappointed that some people read into my comments anything they choose. It’s a poor reflection on them.

7 hours ago, Philip said:

Very good comment. I have never cared about mountcastle’s walk rate.  Nobody on this team walks a meaningful amount. I remember Toby Harrah drawing over 100 walks one season(1977?) and he didn’t even lead the league. So I don’t care about his walk rate. I care about his bad defense, and it’s kind of funny that people are talking about his walk rate and seem to have forgotten that his defense is currently unplayable. I say currently because he may be able to develop adequate defense in, left field has been suggested, I think maybe third base was mentioned? But at the moment he has no position, he can’t play anywhere, which apparently applies to multiple guys already.

I have no problem with sticking him at designated hitter, though I would be happy if he had a better eye.  But aren’t there a lot of designated hitters ahead of him on the list? 

Regardless, bring him up, send Smith away, do something with Stewart, and let Mountcastle have a glove somewhere and see what he can do. It’s best to confirm his limitations as soon as possible. We’ve got a World Series to win.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Because there are obvious flaws to his game.  I just find this whole thing amusing.  We do nothing but pick apart the flaws of the guys on the current roster, yet we've got a guy in the minors who has many of the same flaws that we like to pick apart on here.  Yet it's somewhat frowned upon because he's a prospect and on some publications Top 100 list.  I'm not saying there's no upside to Mountcastle, I just find it odd that people absolutely can't wait to see this guy when he's got the same deficiencies we love to blast current Orioles for.  That, IMO, is a bit odd.

Have you seen something that says he can't play left field?

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

That’s BS.

I'm basing it off of this (and of course your comments about Sisco).  You certainly seem to have a high standard for what qualifies as acceptable defense. 

7 hours ago, Philip said:

Very good comment. I have never cared about mountcastle’s walk rate.  Nobody on this team walks a meaningful amount. I remember Toby Harrah drawing over 100 walks one season(1977?) and he didn’t even lead the league. So I don’t care about his walk rate. I care about his bad defense, and it’s kind of funny that people are talking about his walk rate and seem to have forgotten that his defense is currently unplayable. I say currently because he may be able to develop adequate defense in, left field has been suggested, I think maybe third base was mentioned? But at the moment he has no position, he can’t play anywhere, which apparently applies to multiple guys already.

I have no problem with sticking him at designated hitter, though I would be happy if he had a better eye.  But aren’t there a lot of designated hitters ahead of him on the list? 

Regardless, bring him up, send Smith away, do something with Stewart, and let Mountcastle have a glove somewhere and see what he can do. It’s best to confirm his limitations as soon as possible. We’ve got a World Series to win.