Austin Hays called up

Luke-OH

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

From a purely impersonal point of view, I agree with you.    But in the real world, guys who have been with the club most of the year and have made some contributions aren’t going to be completely cut off.    They’ll get tossed a bone here and there.    

And yes, I realize that one can debate whether Smith or Wilkerson  “made some contributions.”    

Wilkerson and Smith should be bench players next year. The problem is, have Stewart and Hays showed enough to be the OD LF and CF?  Starting next year with Smith and Williams/Wilkerson doesn’t really do anything for us long term or see what the younger players can do. It would just kick the can down the road. Idk if more developmental time is warranted. Stewart and Hays could both get 75+ ST PAs. 

11 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Wilkerson and Smith should be bench players next year. The problem is, have Stewart and Hays showed enough to be the OD LF and CF?  Starting next year with Smith and Williams/Wilkerson doesn’t really do anything for us long term or see what the younger players can do. It would just kick the can down the road. Idk if more developmental time is warranted. Stewart and Hays could both get 75+ ST PAs. 

Why would you want Smith on the bench?

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

I don’t think Hays needs AFL. Put him in the lineup every night for the remainder on the season and get someone else the AFL experience. Maybe Diaz, maybe Grenier.

He needs more at bats. He was hurt and missed time. 

Just trying to get him to catch up.  

• Upvote 1

I really like the way Hays plays.    Busts his butt down to 1B every time (caused the 3B to make an error last night that way IMO).    Runs like his hair is on fire in the OF (misjudged a ball off the bat last night but almost caught it with an all out sprint and layout dive).    After watching his team blow a 4-run lead in the top of the 9th, lays down a perfect leadoff bunt when the other team wasn’t expecting it. This kid plays hard, and he plays to win.    

There was a thread somewhere where I was arguing with @wildcard about whether Hays’ chances of making the OD roster would be significantly impacted by how he played in these couple of weeks of September.    He was arguing yes; I was arguing no.    But I do think that, statistical performance aside, Hays is making a strong impression with his style of play. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Smith Jr isn't good enough defensively to be a backup outfielder. I don't think he makes the team next year. 

Diaz, Hays, Mancini, Mountcastle, DJ, Satandar.  I don’t see how he fits in.  Better to sign someone for AAA and bring that player up if someone gets injured.  Worse than replacement level players don’t deserve a spot on the 40 man over the off season.

59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I really like the way Hays plays.    Busts his butt down to 1B every time (caused the 3B to make an error last night that way IMO).    Runs like his hair is on fire in the OF (misjudged a ball off the bat last night but almost caught it with an all out sprint and layout dive).    After watching his team blow a 4-run lead in the top of the 9th, lays down a perfect leadoff bunt when the other team wasn’t expecting it. This kid plays hard, and he plays to win.    

There was a thread somewhere where I was arguing with @wildcard about whether Hays’ chances of making the OD roster would be significantly impacted by how he played in these couple of weeks of September.    He was arguing yes; I was arguing no.    But I do think that, statistical performance aside, Hays is making a strong impression with his style of play. 

Nice that you remembered our posts.  Many don't.

29 minutes ago, atomic said:

Diaz, Hays, Mancini, Mountcastle, DJ, Satandar.  I don’t see how he fits in.  Better to sign someone for AAA and bring that player up if someone gets injured.  Worse than replacement level players don’t deserve a spot on the 40 man over the off season.

Elias did manipulate Smith's options so he has one left for next season.  But I agree that his play as put him on the bubble of whether he keeps his 40 man roster spot.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias did manipulate Smith's options so he has one left for next season.  But I agree that his play as put him on the bubble of whether he keeps his 40 man roster spot.

I would let him go. They can always offer him a AAA contract. 

He can’t field and he doesn’t hit well enough to overcome it. He doesn’t fit the mold of a bench player. Maybe 35 years ago you could carry someone like him but not now. 

On 9/18/2019 at 5:32 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

In my opinion, yes they have. I expect the OD starting OF to be Santander in RF, Hayes in CF, and Stewart in LF. I expect Mancini at 1B. The 4th OF will be Mason Williams or someone like him. A guy who can play all over out there. And there will be a super utility guy that can be put in the OF in an emergency.