More Developmental Personnel let Go

weams

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I find it interesting that nobody from Norfolk lost their job.    

I wouldn't be surprised if what they were asking of their developmental staff in AAA is less intensive regarding implementation of data-driven methodology for player development. So differences in philosophy are less apparent. 

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

McGregor is 65. Werner is 66. Haven't checked the others. Maybe they want coaches who are a little closer in age to the players. Must be a little weird for a Gen Z ballplayer to be coached by a baby boomer.

Well if  they are firing people because of their ages then they should be fired themselves.  Never mind that it would be illegal.

• Downvote 1

How many players shuffled through the Norfolk roster this year?  I suspect lots and that's pretty typical of a AAA team.  They roster a lot of guys that are marginal ML talents (i.e., AAAA players), have their pitchers bouncing up and down between Norfolk and Baltimore all year, etc..  Additionally, more top prospects were in Bowie than Norfolk this year.  A lot of challenges that the other minor league teams don't have to face.  I suspect Kendall and his staff did as well as they could given the talent level on that team.  

Of course, other than DL Hall, you'd be hard pressed to find a decent prospect that spent most of the season in Frederick and that staff wasn't cut any slack.  I suspect that the lack of any significant improvement from the few prospects that they had is what doomed Minor and his staff.

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

How many players shuffled through the Norfolk roster this year?  I suspect lots and that's pretty typical of a AAA team.  They roster a lot of guys that are marginal ML talents (i.e., AAAA players), have their pitchers bouncing up and down between Norfolk and Baltimore all year, etc..  Additionally, more top prospects were in Bowie than Norfolk this year.  A lot of challenges that the other minor league teams don't have to face.  I suspect Kendall and his staff did as well as they could given the talent level on that team.  

Of course, other than DL Hall, you'd be hard pressed to find a decent prospect that spent most of the season in Frederick and that staff wasn't cut any slack.  I suspect that the lack of any significant improvement from the few prospects that they had is what doomed Minor and his staff.

I do think Frederick lacked talent this year. 

For all we know maybe they make some moves in Bowie. Can’t do it yet.  

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Important to note here that most of these aren't firings, they're simply non-renewals. 

Either way, these guys aren’t coming back, and many of them have been here for many years.   So, they’ve effectively been fired even if it’s technically a non-renewal.   

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Well if  they are firing people because of their ages then they should be fired themselves.  Never mind that it would be illegal.

"Ages".

Come on, are you trying to troll us?

There is a new reghime in charge, and its not suprising that he wants to select "his" people through the system.

Not like this has never ever happen with any other GM change in MLB.

I cant say I wasn't shock, they finally had some success in the minors, but overall, the quality of prospect development over the years from this system hasnt been the best. Too many failures for my own like.

So maybe a total make-over is required.

I've wondered a few times this year what Ryan Minor would have been able to do with the 2019 roster in Salisbury. He only had two winning years here, but never won more than 73. I've met him a few times and had some good conversations with him. He has always been approachable and nice. Even gave me the lineup card after a game one night. 

Ryan, if you're reading this, I wish you the best, and thank you for 1997. You and Pick straight raked that year. It was a treat to watch that clinic night after night. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Larry18 said:

I would want advocates of data driven analysis in every position possible.

For us old guys it isn’t so much as being Luddites but we are more skeptical of new ideas. We want to see something proven before we will endorse it. So we fall behind the curve.

Not speaking of you personally but I know some folks that are just openly hostile of technological advancement.  Funny they were fine with it thirty years ago.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not speaking of you personally but I know some folks that are just openly hostile of technological advancement.  Funny they were fine with it thirty years ago.

I’m a strong proponent of data driven analysis. But I also know that I’m way behind when it comes to grasping where the newly mined data can be used.