OFFNY

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Posted in the currently reading thread.

Scored a 1979 first edition English translation of Stanislaw Lem's Tales of Pirx the Pilot.  With a pretty solid binding and the dustcover in fairly solid shape.

For a buck.

I have only read Solaris...I remember it was a disintegrating paperback and I couldn’t tell if I was missing pages or not.

24 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I have only read Solaris...I remember it was a disintegrating paperback and I couldn’t tell if I was missing pages or not.

Not inconsistent with the theme of the book. I really like that novel. But I think the English translation is from a French translation of the original. Lem apparently hated it.

The movie by Andrei Tarkovsky (1972--not the US remake starring G. Clooney), it goes without saying, departs significantly from the novel, but it's one of my favorite ever. I rewatch it every chance I get.

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Posted in the currently reading thread.

Scored a 1979 first edition English translation of Stanislaw Lem's Tales of Pirx the Pilot.  With a pretty solid binding and the dustcover in fairly solid shape.

For a buck.

Congratulations! I'll buy it from you for a price that yields you a 500% profit haha.

1 hour ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I've been in Seoul for most of the last two years, and it's become a rich and perplexing experience enough for me to start calling where (I think) I am "Seoularis."

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It's going on the shelf next to my FE copies of The Fifth Head of Cerberus and Our Friends From Frolix 8.

Good decision. Don't let local market fluctuations distract you from long-term goals haha.

Archived