Which free agent would you spend alot of money on this offseason?

sammyjoe1

I would myself. Our franchise is irrelevant right now. He could make such a huge difference in perception about the team. I am assuming that this wouldn't stop us from going after Teixera as well when I say this. I really think this franchise is a goldmine. We are leaving so much potential revenue on the table.

Exactly Right-I have to agree-Tex and Arod both added to this O's lineup would bring alot to the team. The Baltimore Fanbase is bigger than what most MLB fans think it is- The Fanbase stretchs as far north as Harrisburg, Pa and as far south as the Carolina's- It goes into West Virginia to the Atlantic Ocean. Think about all the bussiness in that area that wants to use Arod or even Tex to do their comercials. Or think how many people are willing to travel the distance to go see the HOF type players-such as ARod-. I would gladly offer Arod a 6 year-180million dollar contract-to get him to come to the O's. Because the Potential revenue the O's could get in return has a very very high ceiling. Trade for Tex-Sign Arod-Play Reimold in LF-Huff as DH--teach Rowell how to play 1B also-then play Rowell at 1B-The 5 year deal would give the O's plenty of time to develop their players. If the sign Arod in the OFFSEASON-Trade Bedard next year for alot of top prospects.-Because by 2009-Ebre & Penn should be healthy and in the majors

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would myself. Our franchise is irrelevant right now. He could make such a huge difference in perception about the team. I am assuming that this wouldn't stop us from going after Teixera as well when I say this. I really think this franchise is a goldmine. We are leaving so much potential revenue on the table.

I'm not so sure he would. I think only winning would make the team relevant again. We've already seen in Texas that ARod on a losing team doesn't change fans' perceptions about the team.

As for ARod and Teix... Unless someone convinces me that we're going to have a consistent $125+m payroll I don't know that you're going to build a winner with 40-50m tied up for players consisting of about 8% of the roster.

I wonder if Andruw might be had for a make-good, Drew-in-ATL-style contract? I'd give him 1/10 and take two draft picks if he turns it around.

I relaly like this idea. We'd be buying low and could potentially sell high at the trade deadline. If not, 2 draft picks won't be bad either.

Another player we could go after is Eric Byrnes.

It's a lot more logical than expecting to get both Tex and Arod. I admit both are possible but wildcard's plan seems much more doable.

...even if both are a huge stretch for this organization.

I'd rather see them win the division than win the Wild Card- The thing is, every team should plan on winning their division-Isn't that what baseball is all about--winning?

If Arod and Tex is-somewhat-doable-would you take a stab and try to get both of the players-IF-the funds are their.

Some people say that PA won't allow a contract that big-especially since the Albert Belle signing--well I just have to say the ARod is not a Belle-Arod is ARod. ARod means alot more than being a powerhitter like Belle-Arod is more- ARod is more marketable and will bring in revenue and potentially bring in more revenue than contract over time-(THE revenue I was talking about covers MASN also)

I'd rather see them win the division than win the Wild Card- The thing is, every team should plan on winning their division-Isn't that what baseball is all about--winning?

No, no, no

Not "the wildcard", I was talking about wildcard which is why I put the word in a possessive noun attached to "plan".

I'm not so sure he would. I think only winning would make the team relevant again. We've already seen in Texas that ARod on a losing team doesn't change fans' perceptions about the team.

As for ARod and Teix... Unless someone convinces me that we're going to have a consistent $125+m payroll I don't know that you're going to build a winner with 40-50m tied up for players consisting of about 8% of the roster.

I am banking on these moves creating a winning team. Look I don't see it happening but I can dream. I really think comparing Texas to Baltimore is no comparision, the cities are very different. Other than 8 Ravens home games what sporting events in Baltimore attract big crowds or excitement?

Over time contracts will die off like Huff's, Gibby's, Payton's, Baez's, and Hernadez's--And those somewhat exspensive contracts would give away to a contract like Synder, Vineyard, Reimold, Hoey/Doyne, Wieters(if he signs), Rowell--

So potentially by 2009 Hernadez contract is gone-I think Payton will be gone-Huff's is almost gone-Baez's is maybe gone--So the $ amount the O's spend now will, yes increase-but in theory it should decrease. By the type the 5 year deal is over with Arod-Wieters, Rowell, and others should be getting pay raises.

The thing is I wouldn't mine paying a little bit more for my seats. As long as they are winning.

No, no, no

Not "the wildcard", I was talking about wildcard which is why I put the word in a possessive noun attached to "plan".

:)--thats cool--but certainly you have to agree with winning the division comes first- YES-It would be nice to make the team finally finish above .500 or have them be in the wildcard race-But winning is winning-and as most MLB teams play is the win the World Series-at all costs-

Over time contracts will die off like Huff's, Gibby's, Payton's, Baez's, and Hernadez's--And those somewhat exspensive contracts would give away to a contract like Synder, Vineyard, Reimold, Hoey/Doyne, Wieters(if he signs), Rowell--

So potentially by 2009 Hernadez contract is gone-I think Payton will be gone-Huff's is almost gone-Baez's is maybe gone--So the $ amount the O's spend now will, yes increase-but in theory it should decrease. By the type the 5 year deal is over with Arod-Wieters, Rowell, and others should be getting pay raises.

The thing is I wouldn't mine paying a little bit more for my seats. As long as they are winning.

Are you getting rid of guys like Bedard and Markakis? As contracts die off guys like them are going to be saying "Show me the money!" Not to mention to keep ARod happy you need to keep some veterans around - he's made it clear in Texas that he has no interest playing with a bunch of kids.

Are you getting rid of guys like Bedard and Markakis? As contracts die off guys like them are going to be saying "Show me the money!" Not to mention to keep ARod happy you need to keep some veterans around - he's made it clear in Texas that he has no interest playing with a bunch of kids.

You still keep Bedard, Markakis, Mora, and sign Tejada to an extension. But what I was trying to say is that you will not have to pay Payton around I think its around 7 mill next year-Huff is around 8 million-um..-Hernadez is around 8mill. Contracts that you can fill by high ceiling prospects go ahead and fill those holes-Keep BRob, Bedard, Markakis, and Tejada. Yes they will say "Show me the money-BUT If they are winning-PA may-may-may- may x more times increase the amount of money Andy has to work with. ARod will bring in more revenue than what they already have.

Isn't ARod already on a losing team? :P

See the difference between the Yanks and the O's is that the O's have a better and healther rotation-right now- Once Penn and Lowen gets healthy the would just add to Olson, Burres, Guts, and Bedard.

I'm not saying that they would sell out. I am saying that team would be better and in a baseball contender starved city the attendance figures would rise more than 200k over a season. I think Dave (just guessing) thinks the team would be more of the same (ie. under .500). I don't.

I would hazzard a guess that most posters would go to a lot more games if they were winning regularly than they do now.

Well it's kind of a chicken-and-egg thing.

ARod by himself, with no other roster changes, another year of struggling to reach .500 and fighting for fourth place = very little attendance impact. Some impact, but not a lot. A 200K boost for the year seems pretty plausible.

Now if ARod is the centerpiece of a comprehensive makeover that makes the O's an immediate contender, then attendance could surge 500K - 750K in the first year, and maybe a million and a half over a few years.

I don't doubt that the potential is there for the O's to jump from the low 20s in average attendance up to the high 30s or even 40k. But that's not going to happen overnight (or even in a single year), and it's not going to happen with ARod alone.

Archived