Which free agent would you spend alot of money on this offseason?

sammyjoe1

Which free agent would you spend alot of money on? Would you offer Arod (if he ops out) a 8 year/ 225million dollar contract? Would you offer Ichrio a 5 year/ 120 million dollar contract? Offer Hunter or Jones a big contract just to get them to come to the O's?

What would you, (the Hangouters) offer to this players as of $ and bonuses?

Who would you want to come to the Orioles to help to get the O's into the playoffs?

I know it is early, but it is an off day

Anythoughts on who the O's should overspend to get the player to come to Baltimore?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'm not seeing anybody that is worth breaking the bank for. Sure ARod is worth whatever it would take to get him but I don't think he's coming to Baltimore. There is no Japanese population to speak of in Baltimore so Ichiro, even though I'm not paying that price to get him, won't be coming here.

Which free agent would you spend alot of money on? Would you offer Arod (if he ops out) a 8 year/ 225million dollar contract? Would you offer Ichrio a 5 year/ 120 million dollar contract? Offer Hunter or Jones a big contract just to get them to come to the O's?

What would you, (the Hangouters) offer to this players as of $ and bonuses?

Who would you want to come to the Orioles to help to get the O's into the playoffs?

I know it is early, but it is an off day

Anythoughts on who the O's should overspend to get the player to come to Baltimore?

Hi sammyjoe, hadn't seen you before. A belated welcome to the Hangout! :)

I would sign no one, at all.

The focus should be on building toward 2009-10, not losing draft picks (again) by signing players in hopes to compete in '08. Angelos would never allow an ARod contract, so that is mere folly. Players like Hunter, Jones and Suzuki are into their 30's and I'm not a fan of post-30's monster contracts.

I guess I'm saying that I'd be more concerned with focusing on player/prospect acquision with the goal of looking to the future, rather than getting older and more expensive to appease a good bit of the fan base.

Before this season I would have said Andruw Jones. Even though he was looking like the most expensive, he also seemed like the best gamble. So much for that. He's on pace for 30/100 but he's hitting .211/.310/.410 (91 OPS+) and is also on pace to set a career high in K's.

Now I don't know who I would go after. I guess it depends on what the market is for various guys. Look for the value. I'd get into the ARod bidding but I'm not sure how high I'd go.

I'd think about Jones, but not for any kind of 5+ year deal or any enormous money, so I'd probably say none of them.

I like A-Rod a lot but it depends on the parameters of the contract.

Jones definetly isn't helping himself out much this year being his contract year and all. He's well below his normal 265 mark i think he's around 210 or so. So maybe he could be had for cheaper then people may have thought. I mean look what Gary Matthews Jr got for basically a good season. Obviously Arod.

Before this season I would have said Andruw Jones. Even though he was looking like the most expensive, he also seemed like the best gamble. So much for that. He's on pace for 30/100 but he's hitting .211/.310/.410 (91 OPS+) and is also on pace to set a career high in K's.

Now I don't know who I would go after. I guess it depends on what the market is for various guys. Look for the value. I'd get into the ARod bidding but I'm not sure how high I'd go.

I wonder if Andruw might be had for a make-good, Drew-in-ATL-style contract? I'd give him 1/10 and take two draft picks if he turns it around.

I wonder if Andruw might be had for a make-good, Drew-in-ATL-style contract? I'd give him 1/10 and take two draft picks if he turns it around.

I would definitely sign him to that deal, but if he does have to take a one year deal, I'm sure lots of teams would be open to that. Why would he pick us? ;):rolleyes:

How much would average attendance increase if the O's signed ARod? 10,000? He'd immediately put the O's on the map. Put him at first for 10 years. Watch him average 40 homers and 120 RBI's for 10 years in OPACY.

He's worth it. Every penny.

I agree, but I can't see any scenario in which he'd come here. Maybe if we gave him a lifetime supply of passion fruit lip gloss. Maybe.

Archived