How long before Elias promotes the young starters at AAA?

wildcard

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Davis will be a good citizen.    Cheerlead and mentor.  He knows that hitting is his problem and no one elses.  Of course he would like to play but he can see there are players hitting when he is not.  How long will that last?  Until Elias asks the owners to agree to cut him.   And I don't see that happening until the O's are ready to contend.

So him going after Hyde in the dugout was because he is a good citizen?  I think he could become a corrosive influence more than he was last season...ego is a hard thing to keep squelched for another long, embarrassing season.  Hopefully Elias worked out a general understanding with ownership about Davis and his contract before he took over the rebuild.  

9 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

So him going after Hyde in the dugout was because he is a good citizen?  I think he could become a corrosive influence more than he was last season...ego is a hard thing to keep squelched for another long, embarrassing season.  Hopefully Elias worked out a general understanding with ownership about Davis and his contract before he took over the rebuild.  

And hopefully that general understanding isn't "Davis won't be cut.".

4 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

In that case Hyde was giving Davis a lot of changes to play and Hyde felt at that moment that Davis was not hustling.  Davis took offense to being called out.   Mountcastle getting a lot of the playing time that was going to Davis will change that.  Davis will not get the chances.   Hyde and Elias will sit down and have atalk twith Davis about what to expect.   If Davis does not hit in ST he will have to accept that he is now a bench player and some one that has to wait until there is an injury.   I think Davis will be a good employee when that is laid out to him.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And hopefully that general understanding isn't "Davis won't be cut.".

Anyone with half a brain taking over the Orioles rebuild would have asked and talked in detail about the monster that is the Davis contract and what the scenarios could look like ...1. How long does he stay if he has a terrible 2019?  2. How long does he stay if he is also terrible in 2020?  3.  What are the absolutes ownership has about  any or all of his remaining salary if he is blocking someone and thus impeding the rebuild?   

And Elias has much more than half a brain...lol. 

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Anyone with half a brain taking over the Orioles rebuild would have asked and talked in detail about the monster that is the Davis contract and what the scenarios could look like ...1. How long does he stay if he has a terrible 2019?  2. How long does he stay if he is also terrible in 2020?  3.  What are the absolutes ownership has about  any or all of his remaining salary if he is blocking someone and thus impeding the rebuild?   

And Elias has much more than half a brain...lol. 

The question is how big a carrot is a GM slot and what you are willing to put up with to get that position?

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

There defense should be average.  Hays in CF and Alberto at 2B should be above average.   Mancini at 1B, Santander in RF are average. Villar is a high error SS.  Probably around 20 errors but he has good range at short and a strong arm.  Ruiz is average defensively at 3B but I think Wilkerson will be similar and hit better.   The catching is below average and Mountcastle projects to below average in left.  

Overall I rate the team average defensively next season.

Just because a guy isn't a big liability with the glove, or is above replacement-level defensively, doesn't make him "average." When you compare these guys to other MLB starters, the only one who might be above average is Hays. And three of the eight defenders are IMO way below average -- Mountcastle (best guess), Villar and the catchers. (Villar has "good range" at SS compared to whom? Guys who don't have enough range to play SS?)

And when you compare the projected Oriole starters defensively to other AL East starters, I doubt there's anyone who's above average. Maybe Hays again.

Overall, I rate the team improved defensively next season over the version that began the 2019 season, but I'm guessing no better than tenth in the AL, and probably worse than that.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

Just because a guy isn't a big liability with the glove, or is above replacement-level defensively, doesn't make him "average." When you compare these guys to other MLB starters, the only one who might be above average is Hays. And three of the eight defenders are IMO way below average -- Mountcastle (best guess), Villar and the catchers. (Villar has "good range" at SS compared to whom? Guys who don't have enough range to play SS?)

And when you compare the projected Oriole starters defensively to other AL East starters, I doubt there's anyone who's above average. Maybe Hays again.

Overall, I rate the team improved defensively next season over the version that began the 2019 season, but I'm guessing no better than tenth in the AL, and probably worse than that.

I'm not sold that Hays is above average in Center, put him in Right, sure I can see it, but not Center.

On a side note I actually don’t think Elias is all that bothered about Davis right now. It isn’t like he is worrying over what our record will be.  

Davis is much more of an issue on a good team. I am not saying I don’t want him gone but I don’t Elias is as concerned about him right now as we are.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not sold that Hays is above average in Center, put him in Right, sure I can see it, but not Center.

Me neither. I said Hays might be an above average CFer next year, and I'll stick with that. I will add that Mancini might improve enough to become an above average first baseman if he stays out of the OF and plays first every day. I don't think that's likely but it could happen.

Just now, eddie83 said:

On a side note I actually don’t think Elias is all that bothered about Davis right now. It isn’t like he is worrying over what our record will be.  

Davis is much more of an issue on a good team. I am not saying I don’t want him gone but I don’t Elias is as concerned about him right now as we are.  

I think he'd much rather have the open 40/26 man roster slots and the one less headache.

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

Me neither. I said Hays might be an above average CFer next year, and I'll stick with that. I will add that Mancini might improve enough to become an above average first baseman if he stays out of the OF and plays first every day. I don't think that's likely but it could happen.

I don't think many guys improve on defense in their age 28 season.  Defense peaks early.

35 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Right, which I think happens probably at the earliest middle of next year. 

Well maybe middle of next year if he is tear the cover off the ball.   More likely late next season or late  April 2021 like Mouncastle in 2020.

Just now, wildcard said:

Well may middle of nest year if he is tear the cover off the ball.   More likely late next season or late  April 2021 like Mouncastle in 2020.

I really doubt next year. I was just saying best case. Your scenario is much more likely.