Congratulations to the Nationals!

Uli2001

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Ah yes, I remember the old days (two weeks ago) when 85% of the current Nats fanbase couldn't name a single player on the Nats roster.  But now every one of them have the Walgreens logo as their Facebook profile picture.

85% of the current O's fanbase (what's left of it) couldn't name a single player on the O's roster. O.K. maybe, Mancini.  But now every one of them have the Ravens logo as their Facebook profile picture.

Born in D.C., first a Senators fan, I adopted the Orioles because they were from Maryland.   Unlike many here, I refuse to be bitter about the return of baseball in D.C.   Attendance was down 34% in 2003 and the Nats were still in Montreal for another 2 seasons.      The Orioles damage was largely self-inflicted by ownership. 

For the first 25 years of my life, the Orioles had a winning record in 23 of them.  In the 10 years following the 1983 Series, the Orioles had a losing record in 5 of them.  Then ownership happened.  26 seasons under ownership,  18 of them have been losers.  Despite all that, and even with the recent success in my hometown,  I'm stuck with the Orioles.  Hopefully, they've finally found religion and will build this the right way. 

Today, I'm very happy for the Nationals.   If you want to downvote me for that, knock yourselves out.   

To borrow from the opening speech in "Patton," alright, now you sons of b-- you know how I feel....  Dismissed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I’m with you, TonyS.    I don’t resent the Nats or their fans at all.    They deserve some happiness.    There were 15,000 people at Nats Park last night watching the game on the scoreboard screen on a cold, rainy night.    I’m thrilled for those people that the Nats won.   I’ve got a former co-worker, now 75 years old, who used to have a photo of the 1950 Senators on his wall.   His heart was broken when the Senators moved to Texas, and he’s been with the Nats every step of the way since they moved here.    I’m thrilled for him that he lived to see a DC team win the Series.

Now I just want to experience that again with the Orioles, and even moreso, for my 27 year old son to experience it.    

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

85% of the current O's fanbase (what's left of it) couldn't name a single player on the O's roster. O.K. maybe, Mancini.  But now every one of them have the Ravens logo as their Facebook profile picture.

Born in D.C., first a Senators fan, I adopted the Orioles because they were from Maryland.   Unlike many here, I refuse to be bitter about the return of baseball in D.C.   Attendance was down 34% in 2003 and the Nats were still in Montreal for another 2 seasons.      The Orioles damage was largely self-inflicted by ownership. 

For the first 25 years of my life, the Orioles had a winning record in 23 of them.  In the 10 years following the 1983 Series, the Orioles had a losing record in 5 of them.  Then ownership happened.  26 seasons under ownership,  18 of them have been losers.  Despite all that, and even with the recent success in my hometown,  I'm stuck with the Orioles.  Hopefully, they've finally found religion and will build this the right way. 

Today, I'm very happy for the Nationals.   If you want to downvote me for that, knock yourselves out.   

To borrow from the opening speech in "Patton," alright, now you sons of b-- you know how I feel....  Dismissed.

There's no reason Washington shouldn't have their own team.  Every city should have their own team.  Montreal should have one, and Louisville, and Buffalo and Austin.  They're just not my team.  The Nationals are like the Brewers or the Mariners or something.  They're not the Orioles and I have zero emotional attachment to them.

I have no resentment of the Nationals fans, just as I didn't resent last year's... wait, that was the Red Sox.  I resent them.  But besides the Yanks and Sox I don't resent anyone.  It's nice that other fans can be happy for a while.

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

Great post.  And I agree.  

I get what Drungo is saying, though.  For me, looking at the postgame celebrations last night, I wonder how many of the smug attractive females in Nats hats pulled down over their eyes with ponytails hanging out the back were really because they're diehard fans...or because they wanted to be seen, take selfies on Instagram and be able to brag that they got to do the popular thing in town last night.  

To be fair, I wonder how many of the men in the crowd knew that they used to be the Expos, could name players from the first team that was there in 2005, went to games at RFK, etc.  I worked with a guy who was like that...insufferable.  Didn't really care about sports but automatically became interested if a team was deep in the playoff hunt.  Had to get tickets, just had to be there to prove to everyone how cool he was.  

Granted, these types of people exist with any fanbase in any sport.  They're still obnoxious though.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I get what Drungo is saying, though.  For me, looking at the postgame celebrations last night, I wonder how many of the smug attractive females in Nats hats pulled down over their eyes with ponytails hanging out the back were really because they're diehard fans...or because they wanted to be seen, take selfies on Instagram and be able to brag that they got to do the popular thing in town last night.  

To be fair, I wonder how many of the men in the crowd knew that they used to be the Expos, could name players from the first team that was there in 2005, went to games at RFK, etc.  I worked with a guy who was like that...insufferable.  Didn't really care about sports but automatically became interested if a team was deep in the playoff hunt.  Had to get tickets, just had to be there to prove to everyone how cool he was.  

Granted, these types of people exist with any fanbase in any sport.  They're still obnoxious though.

Washington-Nationals-Women%E2%80%99s-47-

Need I say more?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Your post could have been word for word what people said here about the Red Sox fans when they started winning, or Cubs fans.    But I think every fanbase has its diehards who know everything about the team, it’s casual fans who always root for the team but don’t really study the nuances, and the bandwagon fans who only show up when the team is good and then act as if they’ve always cared.    DC is perhaps different from most other cities because many residents moved here from somewhere else and have ties to another team; all cities have that, but DC more than most.   

Anyway, the people I care about are the ones who’ve lived and died with the team for a long time.    

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Your post could have been word for word what people said here about the Red Sox fans when they started winning, or Cubs fans.    But I think every fanbase has its diehards who know everything about the team, it’s casual fans who always root for the team but don’t really study the nuances, and the bandwagon fans who only show up when the team is good and then act as if they’ve always cared.    DC is perhaps different from most other cities because many residents moved here from somewhere else and have ties to another team; all cities have that, but DC more than most.   

Anyway, the people I care about are the ones who’ve lived and died with the team for a long time.    

Yep, the pink hatters.  And the wine and cheese crowd.  

The diehards are what it's all about.  I'm happy for the Nats but I can't pretend that I've been as interested in them on a level that equates to my passion for the Orioles.  I'm not sure how people can just dip in like that, it's weird.

• Upvote 1