BP Top 10

Just Regular

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/article/54965/2019-prospects-baltimore-orioles-top-10-prospects-2/

The Orioles led off their org lists this morning.

I didn't really learn anything new on anyone thanks to all the great stuff here, but the impressions I got going through were:

-high on McKenna (edged Diaz for #5 behind the clear Top 4)

-low on Lowther (15th behind Akin/Wells, and even Cadyn Grenier who they had 10th)

The Under 25 list including major leaguers was kind of interesting for a pegging of our young MLB'ers in with the prospects - they had Santander/Nunez/Sisco adjacent behind the McKenna/Diaz B level, and ahead of everyone else.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Grenier is no. 10?    McKenna ahead of Diaz?   This list seems a bit wacky to me.    

Honestly, Grenier at 10 makes me discount the entire thing. For example, maybe Hall at 4 makes sense, but I won't give that any credence unless it comes packaged with a bunch of other smart takes.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

I think Paternostro and Seidler are the main prospect guys remaining there. Paternostro is on the byline along with a nebulous mention of "BP prospect staff".

Haha - I had just copied this off the page.... Jeffrey Paternostro and BP Prospect Staff

Some of the writeups had individual signatures at the end of the Variance section, but McKenna's didn't.

They are chatting at 100pm if anyone wants to argue, errr, discuss the list (this is I suppose mostly what rankings are for).

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Haha - I had just copied this off the page.... Jeffrey Paternostro and BP Prospect Staff

Some of the writeups had individual signatures at the end of the Variance section, but McKenna's didn't.

They are chatting at 100pm if anyone wants to argue, errr, discuss the list (this is I suppose mostly what rankings are for).

The Oriole Report (Baltimore, MD): You guys are by far the highest of anyone I’ve seen on McKenna (typically 15-20 range) and Grenier (borderline top 30), am I missing something in their potential? Especially with guys like Hays and Akin left off the top 10.

Baltimore Orioles Top 10 Chat: As always, I can't speak to other list products (honestly wasn't even aware of any other national Orioles product, although I guess more places are doing rolling rankings now). Anyway, I know McKenna didn't hit as much as you'd like in Double-A, but our staff looks showed a broad base of tools, including sneaky pop and solid CF defense. I don't think you can just scout the stat line there. Grenier's glove is a carrying tool and if he hits even a little bit that's a second division regular at the six. Prefer that to Akin's reliever risk and Hays...well, I didn't know what to do with Hays and said as much in the blurb, but he's never hit above Double-A for any sustained period.

I thought Grenier wasn't even a lock to stay at "the six"?

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/chat/chat.php?chatId=1607

54 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I thought Grenier wasn't even a lock to stay at "the six"?

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/chat/chat.php?chatId=1607

I know Luke liked Hall’s defense better than Grenier’s.    But, to each his own.   

I remember Tony having a conniption a few years ago when BP put Josh Hart in their top 10.   They aren’t afraid to go out on a limb.     In that case, the limb got sawed off while they were sitting on it.