Orioles’ Chris Davis and wife Jill make record donation to University of Maryland Children’s Hospital

Going Underground

47 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is huge. $3 million is no joke. This has to be one of the biggest charitable donations from an MLB player ever. Great stuff.

I recall Eddie Murray making a fairly large donation back 20 to 30 years ago. Davis could be bitter about the last several years, but it’s good to see him engage with these charitable contributions. I won’t talk badly about his game again if he is still on the roster next season. 

2 hours ago, Oriole1940 said:

Whatever ties to the hospital is supposed to mean.  He and Jill certainly have precious ties to the hospital now, and as long as the hospital is there.  They learned what the truism,      it is more blessed to give than to receive,      really means.  

I meant this that was in the article. I know some people can't read it because of the Sun paywall.

Jill Davis, a trained pediatric nurse, has spent time volunteering in the NICU at the hospital.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Going Underground said:

I meant this that was in the article. I know some people can't read it because of the Sun paywall.

Jill Davis, a trained pediatric nurse, has spent time volunteering in the NICU at the hospital.

Hear hear!  Beautiful moment for the Davis family and the city!  ♥️

Kudos to Jill and Chris Davis for their generous gift.    That will do a lot of people a lot of good.   

I got curious to see what levels of charity are given by people in high income groups.    I found some data, but the highest category is $250,000 and up.    At that level, the average taxpayer takes charitable deductions of 2.8% of their income.    

11 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Definitely makes it harder on Elias in the PR department if he wants to cut Davis loose.  Perhaps they could work out a deal where he becomes a coach? It would be nice to keep him in Baltimore with all the financial aid he's giving it.

How about putting him in a front office community liaison role with a restructured salary plan. Seems like a natural fit for him and a club concerned with community outreach.

10 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

If he never gets another hit.... If he never gets another Home Run.... Chris Davis just did something that will be remembered, and impactful for decades... and will be far more memorable and impactful for human lives than any feat he could or couldn't accomplish on the playing field.Chris Davis is giving back in not just a single gesture...but a gesture that will echo and affect the lives of ultimately thousands of lives. This gesture will actually help save lives. All Oriole fans have grown frustrated and perhaps angry about Chris' production on the field.His contribution OFF the field is truly awe inspiring, and TRULY impactful. I always liked Chris. He's an easy guy to like.Like most of us, I tired of his failings...who knows if he'll even return next year? But the point is this, what he and his wife did is one of the greatest moments in Oriole history.You heard me right...Oriole history. Because wins, and statistics, and even championships pale in comparison to this philanthropic contribution. In the end it doesn't matter WHAT you did in life in terms of getting, and spending. To me the measure of real success, a REAL champion...is what you did for your fellow human beings. Its called MAN-KIND folks...Chris Davis is a MAN because he is kind....Stand up and cheer Chris Davis....

Roy, you said it as well as it could be said.

Almost 20 years ago, my son, who weighed 3.5 lbs a few days after birth, spent his first Christmas , New Years, and 3 weeks in a NICU.  Unless you've lived this, you have no idea how utterly helpless and worthless you feel seeing the child you waited so long to have, in an incubator, hooked up to machines to help them breathe and to constantly monitor their heart rate.   All you can do is watch, and pray, often for weeks or even months.

I don't give a damn if he woulda, coulda, shoulda given even more % wise based on his salary.  It sure as hell isn't up to me to tell someone else what to do with their money.  Nor will I make a judgement about his motivation other than it was a sincere one from his heart.  This is personal to him and his wife, the donation in the name of his daughter.  The Davis family donation will make a real difference in the lives of many of our most vulnerable.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Roy, you said it as well as it could be said.

Almost 20 years ago, my son, who weighed 3.5 lbs a few days after birth, spent his first Christmas , New Years, and 3 weeks in a NICU.  Unless you've lived this, you have no idea how utterly helpless and worthless you feel seeing the child you waited so long to have, in an incubator, hooked up to machines to help them breathe and to constantly monitor their heart rate.   All you can do is watch, and pray, often for weeks or even months.

I don't give a damn if he woulda, coulda, shoulda given even more % wise based on his salary.  It sure as hell isn't up to me to tell someone else what to do with their money.  Nor will I make a judgement about his motivation other than it was a sincere one from his heart.  This is personal to him and his wife, the donation in the name of his daughter.  The Davis family donation will make a real difference in the lives of many of our most vulnerable.

My settlements exactly.

My daughter was 6 weeks early and that was 40 years ago. She spent 6 weeks in Children's Hospital in their Neonatal ICU. First born, young parent and feeling hopeless as all get out. Test tubes, IVs and all sorts of other tubes and wires, made for a frightening scene for us.

That first year, 2 major surgeries, it finally got easier and now she is amazingly healthy and we owe it all to the staff there, for their skill level, compassion and love for what they do.