Means AL ROY Finalist

Can_of_corn

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Why?  His missing 2 months should count against him.  

I could argue that either way.    He very likely would have beaten 4.1 rWAR by a wide margin if he’d been called up sooner.    

By the way, fWAR has it 3.8 Alvarez, 3.0 Means, 2.6 Lowe.    I generally like rWAR better for pitchers for measuring current performance (as opposed to predicting future performance), but some voters may take that into account.   

I also think voters often give an edge to (1) the guy on the better team, and (2) the guy they think Is likely to have the better career.   

11 hours ago, atomic said:

Why?  His missing 2 months should count against him.  

It wasn't his fault, he had a .343/.443/.742 line in AAA.  And pretty much from the day he was called up he was one of the best hitters in the league.

If you average rWAR and fWAR Alvarez and Means are very close in total value, but Alvarez lapped the field in production per unit of play.

I couldn't find any definition or guidance on voting for the ROY, but I doubt it says somewhere that the voters should prioritize total value over per-game impact.  If that was the case they wouldn't have given McCovey the award in '59 when he only played 52 games, they should have given it to the Phils' Jim Owens who started 30 games and had 221 innings pitched.  Or Joe Koppe or George Altman, who each played the whole year.