Waiving/non-tendering Villar: pro or con?

Frobby

Do you approve Elias’ move of waiving Villar?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with putting Villar on waivers?

• I’m in favor
    • I’m against
    • Don’t know, but I’ll defer to Elias’ judgment

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/29/19 at 04:40

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think Elias turned down a significant return for Villar?

My personal take is that while he was offered trades no one that would have been involved would have been a difference maker in the Orioles' system.  We'll never know of course.

He said that he didn't receive a suitable offer to move him. Your right we dont know! But even if it was a couple of 25 year old guys that are out of prospect status and trending toward AAAA they would've gotten more than they have now.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's a mighty specific request.

If they all operate like the Orioles because they are poor then there must be some.

Under the old system we a team like the A's would;ve let him walk and collected a high draft selection. In this system there is no such reward.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

He said that he didn't receive a suitable offer to move him. Your right we dont know! But even if it was a couple of 25 year old guys that are out of prospect status and trending toward AAAA they would've gotten more than they have now.

If I was offered that and I didn't desperately need to shed the payroll I'd have held onto Villar hoping for a better return in the offseason. 

If they all operate like the Orioles because they are poor then there must be some.

Under the old system we a team like the A's would;ve let him walk and collected a high draft selection. In this system there is no such reward.

If he's actually a 4 win player the O's could extend him a qualifying offer at the end of the 2020 season.  A 4 win player wouldn't accept it.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he's actually a 4 win player the O's could extend him a qualifying offer at the end of the 2020 season.  A 4 win player wouldn't accept it.

Not sure I understand! He just produced a 4 WAR season. They cant extend a qualifying offer at the end of the 2020 season since they don't hold his rights anymore

Months ago I expressed my opinion that Villar should be non-tendered if he could not be traded before the deadline, so I'm fine with the way this is playing out. Hopefully, they'll get a couple of 16-year-old Dominicans in trade before the Monday deadline. Otherwise, I think letting him go now is the right move, as it cuts payroll, opens up a roster spot and creates an opportunity for a younger player. The fact that the younger player is not on the team right now does not matter. If this costs us five games during the season, that is not a big deal this year.

Not sure I understand! He just produced a 4 WAR season. They cant extend a qualifying offer at the end of the 2020 season since they don't hold his rights anymore

You were talking about what the A's would have done.

If the O's were sure about Villar being a 4 win player the proper move might be to tender him a contract, let him have another 4 win season.  Then you hit him with a qualifying offer and collect a pick when he walks.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You were talking about what the A's would have done.

If the O's were sure about Villar being a 4 win player the proper move might be to tender him a contract, let him have another 4 win season.  Then you hit him with a qualifying offer and collect a pick when he walks.

Thats what someone other than a Buffoon would do!

1 minute ago, Ripken said:

It's a horrid decision.  First one from Elias that I absolutely hate.  Inexcusable.  Wake me in 2022 because they certainly don't care about me as a fan prior to that point.

This is my point! The Orioles don't get anymore of my money than what is added to my cable bill. That wont be changing until we have new ownership!

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

IF Elias gets a decent (or better) return for Villar, would anyone feel differently than they do now?
Naturally most posters will be upset (understandably) if Villar nets zero return and walks away free, but the other side of this poker move is that we do get something of value. 

I would certainly feel different depending on the return.

They are counting on more than one team claiming him. If they are wrong and the answer is 1 or 0 they lose big time. I don't think it is worth the risk!

3 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

IF Elias gets a decent (or better) return for Villar, would anyone feel differently than they do now?
Naturally most posters will be upset (understandably) if Villar nets zero return and walks away free, but the other side of this poker move is that we do get something of value. 

Why are we playing poker?  He could have gotten that return without the release.