Waiving/non-tendering Villar: pro or con?

Frobby

Do you approve Elias’ move of waiving Villar?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with putting Villar on waivers?

• I’m in favor
    • I’m against
    • Don’t know, but I’ll defer to Elias’ judgment

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/29/19 at 04:40

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it's a rational move given the constraints I feel he is operating under.

If I'm wrong and he has more payroll available that would slightly alter my take on the decision.

They easily have $150 million dollars .... In the Forbes article they spent $161 million and allegedly lost 6.5 million.

This year they spent what $70 million?

Anyone who knows how businesses operate know they hide the potato. Have you ever owned a business?

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

They easily have $150 million dollars .... In the Forbes article they spent $161 million and allegedly lost 6.5 million.

Anyone who knows how businesses operate know they hide the potato. Have you ever owned a business?

Do you read my posts?

I've stated, for years, that I think MLB profitability is much higher than what is reported.  I've said it within the last day.

Not much can be done about profit driven owners.

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Your main point is that you think Elias is acting irrationally, correct? Or that he's stupid? Or is it that greedy owners made him do it? That's what I'm trying to figure out. Again, I don't blame you for being upset. 

It's funny you mentioned poker, because putting Villar on waivers was a poker move through and through. 

I think he's incompetent...Actually I referred to the word Buffoon! He's done nothing that the previous management team couldn't have done including some no named 5th round selection that was mentioned here by Corn.

The Orioles ownership has been among the worst in professional sports since the late 1980s. That includes all the time they were owned by Sneaky Pete and his sons!

************ Its only a Poker move if it works******** Otherwise it makes him look like a Buffoon!

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I already replied to COC that I acknowledge that tricky accounting could be a possibility. But if you have a problem with how the Orioles are spending money, you have a problem with the whole MLB system, not the Orioles in particular. The Orioles have in recent history spent more in relation to revenue than just about every other team in baseball. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you read my posts?

I've stated, for years, that I think MLB profitability is much higher than what is reported.  I've said it within the last day.

Not much can be done about profit driven owners.

Yes

I have owned a business and I am in the middle of buying another. I will have you in for a few beers on me when Its done!

I try to bury every last nickel to minimize the taxes. But I don't cheat my customers by buying cheap fries, or using Steak-um, or that cheap Backfin Crabmeat from Venezuela!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I think he's incompetent...Actually I referred to the word Buffoon! He's done nothing that the previous management team couldn't have done including some no named 5th round selection that was mentioned here by Corn.

The Orioles ownership has been among the worst in professional sports since the late 1980s. That includes all the time they were owned by Sneaky Pete and his sons!

************ Its only a Poker move if it works******** Otherwise it makes him look like a Buffoon!

Poker moves don't always work, I've played enough poker to know that. Why don't you wait and see how this move turns out, then you can call him a buffoon if it doesn't work. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I already replied to COC that I acknowledge that tricky accounting could be a possibility. But if you have a problem with how the Orioles are spending money, you have a problem with the whole MLB system, not the Orioles in particular. The Orioles have in recent history spent more in relation to revenue than just about every other team in baseball. 

This just isn't true! There are plenty of teams that spend handsomely to try to win.

Because you mentioned it .... Teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers had to be restricted by the luxury tax.

This move stinks of cheap! You know they won't spend the $70 million saved last year, they won't save and spend later the $10 million they didnt give Villar!

What is the point of arguing about how much the owners spent vs how much they made? That’s not really your call on a macro level and at a micro level the argument is that Jonathan Villar isn’t worth spending $10M on.

Its like going to the grocery store and finding out the last pint of ice cream is $11 and it should be like $5. So you say no thanks we have Oreos at home, despite the fact you make a six figure household income and can afford an $11 tub of ice cream. 

All the while you’ve got this dude named Roll Tide shouting from the bleachers that you’re a greedy son of a gun because you left the store without the $11 ice cream. You can afford that ice cream you ninny, he yells, you’re just greedy oh btw, your wife hasn’t done anything impactful since you married her. But that wasn’t true, she planted a garden that Mr. Tide wouldn’t be able to see until it gets warm out again.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

This just isn't true! There are plenty of teams that spend handsomely to try to win.

Because you mentioned it .... Teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers had to be restricted by the luxury tax.

This move stinks of cheap! You know they won't spend the $70 million saved last year, they won't save and spend later the $10 million they didnt give Villar!

I'll say it again, the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers have significantly larger revenue streams.  How much are Pittsburgh and Kansas City spending?

3 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Poker moves don't always work, I've played enough poker to know that. Why don't you wait and see how this move turns out, then you can call him a buffoon if it doesn't work. 

Well IMO it was an extremely stupid risk!

And some GMs deserve a mulligan based on their body of work.

If Elias loses Villar trying to be cute or whatever analogy works he doesnt deserve the benefit of the doubt yet.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Well IMO it was an extremely stupid risk!

And some GMs deserve a mulligan based on their body of work.

If Elias loses Villar trying to be cute or whatever analogy works he doesnt deserve the benefit of the doubt yet.

Do you think Elias turned down a significant return for Villar?

My personal take is that while he was offered trades no one that would have been involved would have been a difference maker in the Orioles' system.  We'll never know of course.

1 minute ago, Enjoy Terror said:

What is the point of arguing about how much the owners spent vs how much they made? That’s not really your call on a macro level and at a micro level the argument is that Jonathan Villar isn’t worth spending $10M on.

Its like going to the grocery store and finding out the last pint of ice cream is $11 and it should be like $5. So you say no thanks we have Oreos at home, despite the fact you make a six figure household income and can afford an $11 tub of ice cream. 

All the while you’ve got this dude named Roll Tide shouting from the bleachers that you’re a greedy son of a gun because you left the store without the $11 ice cream. You can afford that ice cream you ninny, he yells, you’re just greedy oh btw, your wife hasn’t done anything impactful since you married her. But that wasn’t true, she planted a garden that Mr. Tide wouldn’t be able to see until it gets warm out again.

LOL .....

But your example of Ice Cream doesnt work.

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

It's 100% true, the Dodgers and Red Sox for example (who spend a ton) had operating incomes of 95M and 84M respectively in 2018 (1st and 5th in MLB). The Orioles had negative 6.5M (28th). They had negative operating incomes in 2016 and 2017 as well. Yeah they spend more, but they make much more.