Waiving/non-tendering Villar: pro or con?

Frobby

Do you approve Elias’ move of waiving Villar?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with putting Villar on waivers?

• I’m in favor
    • I’m against
    • Don’t know, but I’ll defer to Elias’ judgment

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/29/19 at 04:40

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Considering the lack of interest this offseason and last year at the deadline I don't think it is likely that he will have significant value.

Offseason value when supply is high is very different from value in July. Any value in terms of prospects is better than giving him away.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

They tried to trade him last July.

The Brewers tried to trade him.

The Brewers did trade him as part of a package to get Schoop. At the time, Villar was young talent. At the time, Schoop was coveted.

The Orioles got three players for Schoop. We don't know what the offers were for Villar in July '19, just that Elias wanted more. Villar's strong finish in '19 likely raises that value. And again, any value is better than no value.

3 minutes ago, gtown said:

The Brewers did trade him as part of a package to get Schoop. At the time, Villar was young talent. At the time, Schoop was coveted.

The Orioles got three players for Schoop. We don't know what the offers were for Villar in July '19, just that Elias wanted more. Villar's strong finish in '19 likely raises that value. And again, any value is better than no value.

At the time Schoop was struggling and the Brewers added Villar as a condition of the trade.  The Brewers traded a second baseman/SS for a more expensive second baseman/SS who had a year less team control and was having a down year.  They also traded two other players with him.

We have seen no recent evidence that teams covet Villar.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

At the time Schoop was struggling and the Brewers added Villar as a condition of the trade.  The Brewers traded a second baseman/SS for a more expensive second baseman/SS who had a year less team control and was having a down year.  They also traded two other players with him.

We have seen no recent evidence that teams covet Villar.

Coming off a 4-win season, it's not a stretch to think that Villar could be the best available 2B at the July deadline. Even if he falls short of that, we have seen contenders trade for much worse players just for their base running skills.

2 minutes ago, gtown said:

Yeah, on a low payoll team. I guess I'm crazy to think the team might want to invest a bit in its own future, rather than putting more $$ in the owners' pockets.

Spending 5M to see what you get at the deadline for someone you couldn't trade last deadline or during the offseason seems, well stupid.

Well then, I guess I m stupid, along with the national media that is crushing the Orioles for this move. 

And while you're at it, continue to ignore the premise that deadline value is far different than offseason value. And that they *wouldn't* (not couldn't) trade him last July. And that his post-July performance likely increased his value. 

7 minutes ago, gtown said:

Well then, I guess I m stupid, along with the national media that is crushing the Orioles for this move. 

And while you're at it, continue to ignore the premise that deadline value is far different than offseason value. And that they *wouldn't* (not couldn't) trade him last July. And that his post-July performance likely increased his value. 

Can you honestly tell yourself that Elias turned down a reasonable return for Villar?  Or that the Brewers could have done better than forcing the O's to take him in the Schoop deal?

I don't think the National media is "crushing" the O's over the idea that they can flip him for a "significant" return at the deadline.

Also I didn't call you stupid, I called the idea stupid, two very different things and I'd like you to acknowledge that difference before you accuse me of things I didn't say.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can you honestly tell yourself that Elias turned down a reasonable return for Villar?  Or that the Brewers could have done better than forcing the O's to take him in the Schoop deal?

I don't think the National media is "crushing" the O's over the idea that they can flip him for a "significant" return at the deadline.

Also I didn't call you stupid, I called the idea stupid, two very different things and I'd like you to acknowledge that difference before you accuse me of things I didn't say.

I didn't accuse it and you didn't say it, I back the so-called stupid idea and I used the term myself.