Villar Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas

weams

1 minute ago, weams said:

I miss Adam Jones. 

I do too.  And if we didn't have a young RF option, I'd still want him here because he's fun and likable.  But he's not a good ballplayer at the moment.  If he had to wait that far into ST to get a one year deal from Arizona, I'm not sure if he's going to make it onto another roster this year.  

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

Steve Adams, MLBTrade Rumors chat ongoing:

https://www.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with-mlbtrs-steve-adams-12-3-19-6526.html

Good on the Marlins for actually picking up a player who'll make them better in 2020, by the way. The Orioles should take way more crap than they did for making such a blatant cost-cutting move that was plainly designed to lose more games in 2020. I'd be pretty pissed off if I were an O's fan.

If he was an O's fan he'd remember the 14 years of losing that were the result of half measures and trying to field a "competitive" team for the fans.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I do too.  And if we didn't have a young RF option, I'd still want him here because he's fun and likable.  But he's not a good ballplayer at the moment.  If he had to wait that far into ST to get a one year deal from Arizona, I'm not sure if he's going to make it onto another roster this year.  

What a fun guy. I liked the pies, and teasing Buck. I was angry when they stopped the pies and started losing. 

• Upvote 1

To get thi thread back on track... Elias had his back against the wall with Villar. Everyone knew it. Rather than let him go FA the Marlins threw in a middling prospect. THEY have to pay his salary this (next) year.

Elias has to sign a FA or two for 2020. A SS of course. More pitching. Either thru FA or trade, he has a couple spots on the ML roster that HAVE to be filled by opening day. That's salary to add. His budget, whether set by the team or by himself, he HAS a budget to work within. He just saved 10 million for that very purpose. The spots he has to fill from outside the org.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

To get thi thread back on track... Elias had his back against the wall with Villar. Everyone knew it. Rather than let him go FA the Marlins threw in a middling prospect. THEY have to pay his salary this (next) year.

Elias has to sign a FA or two for 2020. A SS of course. More pitching. Either thru FA or trade, he has a couple spots on the ML roster that HAVE to be filled by opening day. That's salary to add. His budget, whether set by the team or by himself, he HAS a budget to work within. He just saved 10 million for that very purpose. The spots he has to fill from outside the org.

He can go north with Martin.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he was an O's fan he'd remember the 14 years of losing that were the result of half measures and trying to field a "competitive" team for the fans.

Yes.

For my money, the absolute worst type of team to watch is a .500 team.  One night they look great, the next they look terrible.  Win three straight, drop two in a row...then win 3 more in a row and drop 4 in a row.  Being in that state of limbo is absolutely maddening.  The 2015 team was frustrating to watch.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He can go north with Martin.

We could do worse. But I think ME will get someone more ML ready. Anonymous no-hit slick-glove SS. Probably some veteranosity as well. On the cheap of course. Richie can do a year at Norfolk.

13 minutes ago, scOtt said:

No he doesn’t 

He can take a Rule 5 guy far from ready offensively and pay him the minimum. 

8 minutes ago, scOtt said:

We could do worse. But I think ME will get someone more ML ready. Anonymous no-hit slick-glove SS. Probably some veteranosity as well. On the cheap of course. Richie can do a year at Norfolk.

I think he can find that in the rule 5. He will fit right in with the concept with a sub 500 OPS

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

EXACTLY!!!! The fans who are poo-pooing this trade as tanking are wrong. The Marlins are putting lipstick on a pig with guys like Villar, and I mean nothing bad to Jonathan, but the Marlins are doing EXACTLY what we did for years after year after year!

Elias is like the Hindu (Hindu?) picture of the elephant or the woman with 16 arms. He has his fingers in every department of the new Orioles franchise. Working FEVERISHLY to make all these department run and contribute to this franchise. By any means necessary.

What the Marlins are doing is selling season tickets to a fanbase that will be unhappy at the end of next season. THAT is tanking!