All 30 Teams non-tendered players

Philip

17 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Whether we move on Russell or don't, have to imagine Hyde's a big character witness.

ESPN did a piece highlighting the "good" non-tenders.  Murph already touted Taijuan Walker; Jimmy Nelson and Aaron Sanchez also seem to me to be in an adjacent basket.  I think 2020-2021 may be a year early for us to try the 2-year thing for Hurt Good Pitcher you really only care about in Year 2, and I can't think of any instances of a team going 3-years on that concept.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28214328/which-mlb-players-were-cut-loose-traded-non-tender-night

Good point. If Hyde is ok with him then we all should be. If not, then move on.

8 minutes ago, oriole said:

Mmhmm...and historically men have consistently been known to undervalue the weight of a woman’s words when she has been wronged. 

I’d prefer to pass on Russell. Playing the game of baseball for fame and fortune should be a privilege reserved for those who adhere to a minimal standard of human decency. I’m not saying he should be banned or anything like that, but as fans we should recognize that personal conduct matters and actively oppose glorifying domestic abusers. Baseball is a business so if the fans reject a player, I would hope teams would too. 

You don't know if you have the whole story, but yet you are willing to throw away a human beings ability to work because he lacks human decency because of a perceived mistake? How high is that horse you are up on?

No one is glorifying a domestic abuser, nor is anyone ignoring the serious issue that domestic battery is in this world. But at the say time, he was never arrested or convicted of anything and it appears that he is trying to right his wrongs through counseling and his actions. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

...but it sounds like the guy has done everything to improve himself. 

I am sure that a lot of teams are having this conversation. To me, whatever team signs him needs to seriously plan for the PR nightmare that will follow. He will need to be contrite, not just on day 1 but over time, and the team will need to be ready with all of the answers. I'm not sure if the O's are willing. I guess we'll see.

30 minutes ago, interloper said:

What's his upside though? A .750 OPS? He hasn't even reached that in his career. Not that good of a SS defensively from what I can tell.

He was a highly touted prospect. The theory is he's never reached his potential. It's a risk/reward move for sure. People will turn against the O's. Keith Law will destroy them publicly. Fans will turn away. But there's reward if you want to find it. I'm not sure that reward is worth it though, to be honest.

I'd rather sign the pitcher (forget his name) who had the issues with his cousin when he was a young teenager. Maybe more upside (if he has that value) and less visibility.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

You don't know if you have the whole story, but yet you are willing to throw away a human beings ability to work because he lacks human decency because of a perceived mistake? How high is that horse you are up on?

No one is glorifying a domestic abuser, nor is anyone ignoring the serious issue that domestic battery is in this world. But at the say time, he was never arrested or convicted of anything and it appears that he is trying to right his wrongs through counseling and his actions. 

My logic is as follows...someone said he hit his wife. MLB looks into it and delivers a suspension. Did they suspend him because of hearsay or did they suspend him because of evidence of abuse? It doesn’t take a high horse to conclude MLBs investigation came up with something more than hearsay. 

Every single player on an MLB team is glorified when their name is called on the loud speakers and jerseys are sold and when we all cheer when he comes up to bat or makes a great play. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I am sure that a lot of teams are having this conversation. To me, whatever team signs him needs to seriously plan for the PR nightmare that will follow. He will need to be contrite, not just on day 1 but over time, and the team will need to be ready with all of the answers. I'm not sure if the O's are willing. I guess we'll see.

He was a highly touted prospect. The theory is he's never reached his potential. It's a risk/reward move for sure. People will turn against the O's. Keith Law will destroy them publicly. Fans will turn away. But there's reward if you want to find it. I'm not sure that reward is worth it though, to be honest.

I'd rather sign the pitcher (forget his name) who had the issues with his cousin when he was a young teenager. Maybe more upside (if he has that value) and less visibility.

Luke Heimlich

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/10/sports/luke-heimlich-mexican-league.html

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

We might not have the whole story, but MLB did investigate and handed down a 40 game suspension.  So I think it’s safe to say there was some there there.

I’m not against him playing baseball, just don’t want him on the team I root for.  I’m okay with a second chance.  It’s not like he threw bleach on her and the child.

Ball so hard.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Fair enough, but they said all that and then released him at age 25 in his first arbitration year after cutting his AB in half. So they clearly don't care to see if his character stays improved. Or maybe they know it really hasn't. 

Either way, I'd look elsewhere. The last thing the O's need is the spotlight being shone on them when everyone is already itching to criticize them for tanking, etc. 

Could be that he’s just not a good baseball player.

He hit .237 with an OBP just over.300. Plus his OPS was under .700 and His WAR was .1 for the price of 3+ million dollars. 

In his 5 season MLB career he’s a .247 hitter with a .308 OBP.

I have zero interest in guys that can’t get on base

Just now, LookinUp said:

No they're not but he was really good coming out of college and hasn't pitched much anywhere for a while. There's plenty of reason to believe that if he gets back into an organization, there's upside there. 

But I'm not advocating to sign the guy.