O's Trade for Gary Knotts

furryburres

Why are we trading for an old guy?:angryfire:

Yeah MacPhail should be fired on the spot for trading a PTBNL (which will probably be for another guy that will never make it to the majors) for a guy to take a spot on the Norfolk roster and help them out. What a dumb move. :rolleyes:

From Wikipedia

He [Knotts] was traded to the Detroit Tigers with pitchers Nate Robertson and Rob Henkel for pitchers Mark Redman and Jerrod Fuell. He pitched for the Tigers in 2003 and 2004, but was released in October 2005 after spending all of 2005 on the disabled list with a shoulder injury.

On July 31, 2007, Knotts was on the roster of the Newark Bears of the independent Atlantic League when he signed a minor league contract with Philadelphia. The Phillies' assigned him to their Double-A Eastern League affiliate, Reading Phillies. He is currently assigned to the Phillies' AAA affiliate, the Lehigh Valley IronPigs, in Allentown, Pennsylvania.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Eh, noise. IDGAF anyway, having cut the cord long ago. I know the feeling though… Dish pulled that BS a couple years ago. I’m hoping Rubenstein can find a way to ala carte everything. There will certainly be demand.
    • I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere, but Irvin morphed his slider into a cutter last year that is by far his best pitch by Stuff+. He threw it 16% of the time too, decent usage but could be increased more. He’s always going to score poorly in stuff for pitch models but very well in command grades, so even some slight upticks in stuff could make a big difference. His curve is also decent. He relies a lot on his fastball/sinker/change, so I’d be interested in him moving more towards the cutter/curve (which generally are still effective against RH batters). Irvin was absolutely unreal horrific in his first few starts last season, which tanked his season numbers (particularly xERA), but really righted the ship after that. He’s a decent piece to be a 5th starter, he’s been very durable, throws a lot of strikes and as a result can pitch a lot of innings (if you aren’t pulling him early in close games), and is a good fit for OPACY. It’s just a bad spot that our depth chart is already whittled down to him being that to start the year. 
    • Things aren’t looking good for MASN and comcast.     Would still figure they find a way to get a deal done but it doesn’t seem as certain as I think it was.
    • Verlander needs 140 IP and a clean doctor's note to assure himself of 1/35 next season but if he misses that I could see him somewhere on Elias' target list for the year over year Lyles-Gibson-Kimbrel 1-year contract stretch. Its a bit of an art question for baseball how it wants to grapple with all Friedman and Driveline have brought to the game.    Roki Sasaki or Paul Skenes or even Grayson Rodriguez might be their generation's Justin Verlander but today's game will constrain them from revealing it as fully to baseball fans even if they are. Verlander has become a TJ statistic in recent years, but for me he really isn't - every bit of work on his Hall of Fame plaque was done before the surgeon took some of him.
    • Buried in the article, but it says this:   “Verlander said he heard at the trade deadline that the Dodgers and Orioles were interested, and he said he’d have accepted Los Angeles or even Baltimore if those were the options. “I’m from Virginia,” Verlander said. But when Houston, where he’d won his rings, became viable, he said he was happy to “steer things” that way.”
    • Has the added benefit of being on the 40-man already, so nobody necessarily needs to be removed for him to come up as a reliever later in the season.
  • Popular Contributors