Comparing Astros/Orioles.

Philip

In 2014, the Astros made a big jump, going from 51 wins the previous season to 70. In 2015 they won 86 games and went to the playoffs. I remember the big additions in ‘14 were Collin McHugh, and I think they called up George Springer during the season as well as John Singleton, who turned out to be a huge bust.

Has anyone done a close enough comparison of the trajectory of the two teams to be able to extrapolate how much of a jump we can make this season? 

We have a lot of Ifs,  but we have enough guys Ready to help this season That we should be able to make a significant jump.

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

In 2014, the Astros made a big jump, going from 51 wins the previous season to 70. In 2015 they won 86 games and went to the playoffs. I remember the big additions in ‘14 were Collin McHugh, and I think they called up George Springer during the season as well as John Singleton, who turned out to be a huge bust.

Has anyone done a close enough comparison of the trajectory of the two teams to be able to extrapolate how much of a jump we can make this season? 

We have a lot of Ifs,  but we have enough guys Ready to help this season That we should be able to make a significant jump.

It'll be tough for us to get to the 54 wins we had last year.  I think we're looking at 2021 as a year where we could make a jump.  Maybe going from 55 wins to 65 wins.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It'll be tough for us to get to the 54 wins we had last year.  I think we're looking at 2021 as a year where we could make a jump.  Maybe going from 55 wins to 65 wins.  

I’m not so sure. Villar and Bundy aside( and Bundy won’t be hard to replace) All our movement has involved basically replacement players. Even if the returning guys show no improvement, the guys we start calling up should make a difference. Having a real centerfielder, a real right fielder full time, and a leftfielder who is an improvement on Stewart and Smith. I am confident that we can improve on Villar’s defense, even if we lose a little offense. But the pitching should show marked improvement. I learned last year not to be overly optimistic, But I don’t think we need to be as pessimistic as your comment suggests.

21 minutes ago, interloper said:

I agree. I think we're going to be much better than folks think in 2021.

This season we'll lose a bunch but it'll be in the 90s. I think we'll have a little better pitching this year.

I don't know how you can say that the pitching be better. You've subtracted Bundy and they clearly won't spend 10 million for someone in the zip code. I personally expect it to be worse. 2 Rule 5 guys who will certainly have growing pains and some more waiver wire Wojo/Brooks types.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don't know how you can say that the pitching be better. You've subtracted Bundy and they clearly won't spend 10 million for someone in the zip code. I personally expect it to be worse. 2 Rule 5 guys who will certainly have growing pains and some more waiver wire Wojo/Brooks types.

I just sorta think it will be. ?‍♂️ Doesn't have to do much to be a little better. Hard to be any worse. 

19 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Well we have I think three Prospect pitchers anticipated to make their debut, don’t we? Kremer, Akin and hmmm Baumann, maybe? And they are all starters, aren’t they?

It is possible they are all useless, But it is unlikely. 

Edited by Philip
Typo

18 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

And add to that that Givens is likely gone before ST.

It's certainly fair to say Rule 5 guys will have growing pains and that any adds will be low budget adds, ala Wojo/Brooks. Cobb should be healthy and pitch fairly well in comparison. I feel like we'll be improved just in terms of players being in the developmental system one more year and the defense should be improved to some degree. I think it helps us more than most teams by going back to a baseball rather than last years Titleist balls. 

Pitching may not make a huge jump but I believe it'll be better. Akin should spend most of the year with the O's. Better but not by a great amount until Kremer, Lowther, Baumann and that group start showing up in very late '20 or '21.