Would you offer Hays or Mountcastle a long term deal now?

Frobby

Would you offer Hays or Mountcastle a long term deal now?   

108 members have voted

1. 1. Would you offer Hays or Mountcastle 6/$24 mm with two $12 mm team options now?

• Yes for both Hays and Mountcastle
    • Yes for Hays, no for Mountcastle
    • Yes for Mountcastle, no for Hays
    • Not yet for either of them

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/24/20 at 17:41

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I am definitely hoping Mountcastle turns out to be a better outfielder than Mancini.    He’s the more athletic of the two and his experience playing much more difficult defensive positions should allow him to become an adequate OF.     Put it this way, I don’t want Mancini in the OF and I certainly don’t want someone worse than him out there.    We’ll just need to see how Mountcastle develops defensively.    

I think I've made it clear that I think Mancini is in the Nelson Cruz range and I hope that Mountcastle and his athleticism lands him in the intermediate OF level. 

Just now, weams said:

Well, I'm not sure I did. He tossed it so definitively. 

It is sometimes hard to tell with wildcard.     I assume he’ll clarify.    But I don’t see how he could state it as a fact when (1) he’s never seen Mountcastle play the OF, and (2) the guy has only played 26 games out there, all late in the season.    That’s not a good basis for judgment.   

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

So riddle me this:

if MC is competent in LF, what does this do to Stewart?

I seen very little of him, but I’ve seen has been a train wreck, but it’s way too early to give up on him, or maybe not, I don’t care either way but they have to do something with him, and what would that be?

Stewart is recovering from surgery. 

23 minutes ago, Philip said:

I did not know that, long is he going to be out? And regardless, that doesnt change the question, it just delays it for a while. Though I imagine it will sort itself out.

Even when I think about DJ Stewart panning out from here, I find it hard to get past an Orsulak vibe.  He will have a good deal more opportunity if Yusniel really has fallen off a cliff, though - in that case the envisioned Mancini, Mountcastle, Hays, Diaz 1B/OF group has a whole position open.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

I did not know that, long is he going to be out? And regardless, that doesnt change the question, it just delays it for a while. Though I imagine it will sort itself out.

Supposedly, not long.    He should be at spring training but not necessarily ready for game action at the beginning.    That was the prognosis in October; don’t know what they’re saying now.   

1 hour ago, weams said:

What would make you think that? He was hurt, came back strong. 

FWIW the Prospects Live guy was rather pessimistic - I'm just trying to balance my general perspective, which is that Yusniel is still very good, and last year was Senioritis.   I still am hoping for the Spring Training entertainment of Yusniel outplaying Mountcastle to muddy the water of who gets to debut first.

2 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

FWIW the Prospects Live guy was rather pessimistic - I'm just trying to balance my general perspective, which is that Yusniel is still very good, and last year was Senioritis.   I still am hoping for the Spring Training entertainment of Yusniel outplaying Mountcastle to muddy the water of who gets to debut first.

As I understand it, Diaz defends and runs, MC hits.

Can they be laminated?

24 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Hmm

One is on the 40 the other isn't.

One has spent an entire season at AAA and the other hasn't played past AA.

No water will be muddied.