MASN: Four Remaining Expensive Signings

weams

36 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

The only one that my guess was significantly lower than the cited projected arb salaries was Mancini. He had a really nice season but was it nice enough to warrant a $5MM+ raise? I haven't researched this, but isn't a first year arb ruling for $5.7MM usually reserved for premier talents like Machado? Is there a good comp for Mancini among the 2019 first-year arb players?

Travis Shaw 4.7 Million

Maikel Franco 5.2 million

Eddie Rosario  4.2 million

As for Machado like talents. Lindor got $10.8 million in his first year of arbitration.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What’s the point of having role players on a 110 loss team?  Of course Mancini is different. I’d trade Alberto, Castro, and Severino, for fliers for 2023+.

You are looking for the right return. If it takes a solid second season to get value for Alberto and Severino you wait it out. You don’t trade your potentially good players for lottery tickets.

i wouldn’t give the Orioles a 1981 Chevy Chevette for Castro. I doubt anyone else will either.

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

You are looking for the right return. If it takes a solid second season to get value for Alberto and Severino you wait it out. You don’t trade your potentially good players for lottery tickets.

i wouldn’t give the Orioles a 1981 Chevy Chevette for Castro. I doubt anyone else will either.

https://www.camdenchat.com/2020/1/3/21047027/orioles-news-links

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Would you say something like...

Givens $3.5MM
Mancini $3.25MM
Alberto $1.5MM
Castro $1.25MM

@ $9.5MM total

The only one I’ve really thought about is Mancini.   I think he’ll far short of the projected $5.7 mm, but $3.25 mm is probably too light.     I must say, looking at various comparable players, $3.25 mm is probably closer to a reasonable guess than $5.7 mm is.    Guys like JD Martinez, Nick Castellanos, Matt Carpenter and Corey Dickerson all received about $3 mm in their first year of arbitration.     I think Trey’s track record after 3 years is better than those guys, but not leaps and bounds better.   Heck, Manny only got $5 mm in his first year of arbitration.    I’d say $4.5 mm for Trey would be very generous.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The only one I’ve really thought about is Mancini.   I think he’ll far short of the projected $5.7 mm, but $3.25 mm is probably too light.     I must say, looking at various comparable players, $3.25 mm is probably closer to a reasonable guess than $5.7 mm is.    Guys like JD Martinez, Nick Castellanos, Matt Carpenter and Corey Dickerson all received about $3 mm in their first year of arbitration.     I think Trey’s track record after 3 years is better than those guys, but not leaps and bounds better.   Heck, Manny only got $5 mm in his first year of arbitration.    I’d say $4.5 mm for Trey would be very generous.   

Is there inflationary creep or did guys  last year get the same amount in arbitration that comparable guys got 4 or 5 years previous?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Is there inflationary creep or did guys  last year get the same amount in arbitration that comparable guys got 4 or 5 years previous?

There’s always a little creep, but that’s why I said $4.5 mm would be generous, rather than $3.5 mm.    Michael Conforto got $4.0 mm last year.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

There’s always a little creep, but that’s why I said $4.5 mm would be generous, rather than $3.5 mm.    Michael Conforto got $4.0 mm last year.

The projection for Josh Bell is 5.9 million and Andrew Benintendi is 4.9 million....Trey may get more than 5....

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I went low on my Trey projection because $5.7MM seemed high and because this is his first year being arbitration eligible. Arbitration is about what numbers are presented by the two sides and we are guessing. I agree the Orioles would more than likely win a hearing by offering $4.5MM than my proposed $3.25, if Mancini's agent countered $5.7MM. The Orioles might be able to win at $4.5 even if the counter were $5.0. Still, I could imagine the the Orioles winning  vs. Mancini by offering less than that.

And what I have conjectured is not intended to diminish Trey's value. I am a fan and think he will continue to be valuable in MLB for the next few years, at least. Maybe @ $9MM in 2021. On another team.