Iglesias signs with O's

weams

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think I’d put him at 1-5 (well, maybe 5ish).     Last year he was 7-11 in the various cumulative advanced metrics, mostly 7-8.     But anyway he’s very good.  

I agree...he is very good.   I like this signing a lot. 

• Upvote 1

To apply the orange-colored glasses, I wonder if the short concussion absence wasn't enough for him in 2017.

I noticed B-Ref had him at +11, -10, +10 and +8 at SS the last four years.  In the bad 2017, he missed 7 days with a concussion sustained 4/19, and returned 4/27.

In May he had his worst OPS and his usually decent K/BB ratio was 21/3.  Naturally the 98-loss-to-be Tigers didn't really have anyone else credible to play, as won't the 2020 Orioles.

Fangraphs does have him as 4th best SS across the 2015-2019 span he's been a regular, and 5th best for just the last two years.  That gives him a playing time bump over others who have come and gone; by B-Ref's Top 10 Yearly Leaders, he was 8th, 6th and 8th in the three good years by their metrics.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

That assumes that Elias is operating under a “spend no money” directive, but we can’t assume that... we’ve only observed that it’s happened so far. I wouldn’t speculate on this.

I speculate that Elias has free reign on budget for small signings like this. If he wanted to spend 10 mill on a pitcher he might have to talk to the Bros. Who knows? But he doesn't seem to want to spend 10 mill on a pitcher. We're all still learning how ME really operates.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

He was so mediocre last year.    I think people will want to see him perform in the regular season.    

I think we just over exposed Givens. Too many LHH. He was in all the high leverage spots in the  fire stopper role early on. He’s more of a 6th/7th inning guy that should face RH spots of a lineup. 

Back to the OP, I’m really happy with the Iglesias signing. We got him for the same amount of money the Red Sox gave Peraza. I like that we have the option for a 2nd year. We have no real option for SS the next two years. I don’t see how Martin is any better than Jose Rondon.

Hopefully Austin Martin, SS Vanderbilt, is available with our 2nd pick in June. He could likely make his debut at some point during the 2022 season. Iglesias would be a good bridge. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we just over exposed Givens. Too many LHH. He was in all the high leverage spots in the  fire stopper role early on. He’s more of a 6th/7th inning guy that should face RH spots of a lineup. 

Back to the OP, I’m really happy with the Iglesias signing. We got him for the same amount of money the Red Sox gave Peraza. I like that we have the option for a 2nd year. We have no real option for SS the next two years. I don’t see how Martin is any better than Jose Rondon.

Hopefully Austin Martin, SS Vanderbilt, is available with our 2nd pick in June. He could likely make his debut at some point during the 2022 season. Iglesias would be a good bridge. 

Obviously things will change before the Draft in June, but I like the idea of taking Emerson Hancock. A 2023 rotation with Grayson Rodriguez, DL Hall, and Emerson Hancock has potential to be pretty good.

I'm pretty optimistic about Gunnar Henderson - time will tell if he can stick at shortstop.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

Obviously things will change before the Draft in June, but I like the idea of taking Emerson Hancock. A 2023 rotation with Grayson Rodriguez, DL Hall, and Emerson Hancock has potential to be pretty good.

I'm pretty optimistic about Gunnar Henderson - time will tell if he can stick at shortstop.

Counting on a rotation of pitching prospects is fools gold. 

Almost all the reports are saying 3rd base.

• Upvote 1

The min salary is $563,500 next year. So we’re paying $2.4ish million to have really good defense at SS. That’s a pretty good deal. 

This reminds me of when we signed Cesar Izturis. In fact the contract is basically the same,

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story?id=3772759&src=desktop

I think our defense takes a big step forward this year with Iglesias at SS, Hays in CF, and Severino likely being being the “starting” Catcher. 

57 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Also, who gets DFAd for Iglesias?  Valaika?

My guess is Hanhold.  Though I think Armstrong and Smith are also on the bubble.  I think Valaika goes into ST as the backup SS/2B/3B.  He may hit lefties well though its hard to know with him coming from Colorado.

2 hours ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

The Tigers may take Emerson Hancock with the first pick of the draft.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The min salary is $563,500 next year. So we’re paying $2.4ish million to have really good defense at SS. That’s a pretty good deal. 

This reminds me of when we signed Cesar Izturis. In fact the contract is basically the same,

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story?id=3772759&src=desktop

I think our defense takes a big step forward this year with Iglesias at SS, Hays in CF, and Severino likely being being the “starting” Catcher. 

Just a thought.

Luhnow's first play acquisition after taking over the Astros in the fall of 2011 was to trade for SS Jed Lowie.   It was Lowrie and Kyle Weiland from Boston for Mark Melancon.  Lowrie made 1.15M in 2012.