Should we go after Andrew Cashner?

BamaOsFan

I saw this thread title and scoffed, but actually think it might not be the worst idea ever.

I could imagine the O's signing a viable starter just to protect the young arms. I don't think Cashner is a viable starter, but that's for smarter people than me to assess.

So if it's a move that protects young guys and could improve their development, I'd consider it. If it's a move that is meant to be parlayed into a July trade, I'd laugh out loud at someone suggesting it. That ship has sailed.

On 1/13/2020 at 1:56 PM, wildbillhiccup said:

Even Drew Smyly would be a better signing than Cashner. At least he can potentially strike out close to a batter a game. Cashner had 108 Ks in 160 IPs last season. Unless you're Greg Maddux you can't be a good pitcher in this era with those numbers. And Cashner isn't a good pitcher. His 2017 season was all smoke and mirrors. 

Smyly to Giants, 1 year, $4 million, some bonuses.

On 1/13/2020 at 4:56 PM, LookinUp said:

I saw this thread title and scoffed, but actually think it might not be the worst idea ever.

I could imagine the O's signing a viable starter just to protect the young arms. I don't think Cashner is a viable starter, but that's for smarter people than me to assess.

So if it's a move that protects young guys and could improve their development, I'd consider it. If it's a move that is meant to be parlayed into a July trade, I'd laugh out loud at someone suggesting it. That ship has sailed.

It isn't a crazy idea at all. The O's need someone who can throw innings - and it's insane to expect a bunch of AAAA guys and rookies to provide them.

It's not fair to send a bunch of guys who aren't prepared to get lit up every night. They need to be put in situations where they can succeed - and a veteran pitcher helps Hyde do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Cashner can eat some innings.  Wouldn't be the worst on a one-year deal.

Bartolo Colon is also reportedly looking for a minor league deal.  Why not? I'd make the trip to OPACY to see him if he got the call up.  If nothing else, he'd be a dirt cheap, former CY Young winner, to rub off on our young pitchers in the minors for a year.

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This would be more interesting.

No interest in Cashner.  I can't believe that there are rumors about him returning. 

Why not?   This year doesn’t matter. Need innings eaten. Might get a young international (or two!) prospect at the deadline if Andrew has a lucky first half again.