Breaking: Alex Cora fired by Red Sox

cboemmeljr

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Astros and the Red Sox are not the only cheaters.

The Blue Jays have been rumor to use a suite at the Hotel in the outfield to steal pitching signs, and relay that to the dugout.

I dont remember the Cubs getting more than a hand slap when they were caught stealing from the hole in the Ivy.

The difference is, Manfred issued a memo on 9/15/17 that stated these types of transgressions were going to be dealt with more harshly going forward:

“Following the issuance of the press release announcing the results of the Red Sox investigation, I issued a memorandum that same day [9/15/17] to all Clubs reiterating the rules regarding the use of electronic equipment to steal signs, and putting all Clubs on notice that future violations would be taken extremely seriously by my office. I specifically stated in the memorandum that the General Manager and Field Manager of Clubs would be held accountable for any violations of the rules in the future. Thus, all Clubs were put on notice as of September 15, 2017 that any use of electronic equipment to steal signs would be dealt with more severely by my office.
Notwithstanding the publicity surrounding the Red Sox incident, and the September 15th memorandum that I sent to all Clubs, the Astros continued to both utilize the replay review room and the monitor located next to the dugout to decode signs for the remainder of the regular season and throughout the Postseason.”

There were more warnings about this topic in the 2017-18 offseason yet the Astros continued to cheat for part of the 2018 season.   

https://img.mlbstatic.com/mlb-images/image/upload/mlb/cglrhmlrwwbkacty27l7.pdf

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I disagree. The press release should have literally been like two lines. There was no reason AT ALL to include an Alex Cora quote. If Alex Cora wanted to issue his own statement / fake apology then that should have been on him. 

"In light of recent developments the Boston Red Sox have agreed to part ways with Alex Cora. We wish him the best in his future endeavors."

A "collective decision" resulted in a "mutual agreement", the result of which "beloved member of the Red Sox" Alex Cora and the team decided to part ways.  No where in either side's statement was the need for an apology recognized much less acknowledged.  This is pro forma public relations gibberish designed to minimize the scandal gaining momentum.  Good luck with that (I'm looking at you, Rob Manfred).

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The difference is, Manfred issued a memo on 9/15/17 that stated these types of transgressions were going to be dealt with more harshly going forward:

“Following the issuance of the press release announcing the results of the Red Sox investigation, I issued a memorandum that same day [9/15/17] to all Clubs reiterating the rules regarding the use of electronic equipment to steal signs, and putting all Clubs on notice that future violations would be taken extremely seriously by my office. I specifically stated in the memorandum that the General Manager and Field Manager of Clubs would be held accountable for any violations of the rules in the future. Thus, all Clubs were put on notice as of September 15, 2017 that any use of electronic equipment to steal signs would be dealt with more severely by my office.
Notwithstanding the publicity surrounding the Red Sox incident, and the September 15th memorandum that I sent to all Clubs, the Astros continued to both utilize the replay review room and the monitor located next to the dugout to decode signs for the remainder of the regular season and throughout the Postseason.”

There were more warnings about this topic in the 2017-18 offseason yet the Astros continued to cheat for part of the 2018 season.   

https://img.mlbstatic.com/mlb-images/image/upload/mlb/cglrhmlrwwbkacty27l7.pdf

Very Good and valid point.

thanks

14 hours ago, Philip said:

By the way, will I get Warren or penalized if I say that the Red Sox, Steve Pearce aside, are a-holes?

I initially used a stronger word, but changed it a little bit. But I swear, does New England breed people who think that cheating is just fine? Gosh… I have a beloved student who’s at Yale now, and another former student who is at MIT. I hope they don’t turn into one of those…

"Win if you can.  Lose if you must. But always cheat."

-Jesse "the Body" Ventura

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yankees spending $300 million. 

Red Sox stealing signs and spending $  

Jays good young system. Messed up our last GM and “run”. Haven’t been caught stealing signs... YET

Rays have one of the best Organizations in MLB. They look like a perennial 90 win team. 

AL East is no joke. 

Of course it isn't a joke, you left off the punchline.

• Upvote 1