Beltran Gift Giving

weams

22 minutes ago, jgjbanker said:

All that needs to happen is one ex Yankee to say publicly they cheated, and MLB would have to investigate. Hopefully Jacoby Ellsbury takes them down. 

I so badly want this to happen, and I’m convinced the Yankees are cheaters, only no one has outed them yet.  I could give numerous examples, but over the years,  I have watched too many games where the Yankee hitters react as if they knew exactly what pitch was coming, and even their worst hitters are hitting home runs out of nowhere, and off of good pitchers too.  Sure, they could be stealing signs the old fashioned way to know what pitch might be coming, but it just seemed too unlikely and non-coincidental that there has to be something more systematic in place going on behind the scenes.

And I think we all know the Blue Jays have cheated in their home stadium for years, as there were always rumors of someone sitting in the stands indicating what pitch was coming to the hitters.  It basically became a joke after awhile, but there was definitely something to it.

In reality, I think every team in baseball is cheating to some extent or another, but right now, the Astros are taking the most heat for it because other teams and players are jealous of their recent success and don’t like their smugness and self promotion about their process and how they became winners. 

12 minutes ago, Obando said:

I so badly want this to happen, and I’m convinced the Yankees are cheaters, only no one has outed them yet.  I could give numerous examples, but over the years,  I have watched too many games where the Yankee hitters react as if they knew exactly what pitch was coming, and even their worst hitters are hitting home runs out of nowhere, and off of good pitchers too.  Sure, they could be stealing signs the old fashioned way to know what pitch might be coming, but it just seemed too unlikely and non-coincidental that there has to be something more systematic in place going on behind the scenes.

And I think we all know the Blue Jays have cheated in their home stadium for years, as there were always rumors of someone sitting in the stands indicating what pitch was coming to the hitters.  It basically became a joke after awhile, but there was definitely something to it.

In reality, I think every team in baseball is cheating to some extent or another, but right now, the Astros are taking the most heat for it because other teams and players are jealous of their recent success and don’t like their smugness and self promotion about their process and how they became winners. 

I find it hard to believe that the Orioles with Buck, Adam Jones and Markakis were cheating. 

5 hours ago, Philip said:

when you fire someone for cause, and “cheating” is cause, there is no severance, nor should there be. If Beltran didn’t do anything wrong, there’s no need for his departure anyway.

MLB isn’t punishing Beltran, but that doesn’t mean the Mets can’t. And they certainly should.

I don’t think Beltran cheating in a prior job as a player is legal “cause” for the Mets to fire him from a different job two years later, especially in circumstances where the league has decided not to suspend him.    He was available to do his job with the Mets, and had done nothing wrong in his position as manager of the Mets.    Therefore, I do not believe the Mets had the legal right to terminate his contract without paying his full salary for the period covered for the contract.     That’s why they negotiated a buyout rather than just terminating him unilaterally.    Personally, I find Beltran’s conduct with the Astros reprehensible but I do not find it disgusting that the Mets paid him some severance when they fired him.   

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think Beltran cheating in a prior job as a player is legal “cause” for the Mets to fire him from a different job two years later, especially in circumstances where the league has decided not to suspend him.    He was available to do his job with the Mets, and had done nothing wrong in his position as manager of the Mets.    Therefore, I do not believe the Mets had the legal right to terminate his contract without paying his full salary for the period covered for the contract.     That’s why they negotiated a buyout rather than just terminating him unilaterally.    Personally, I find Beltran’s conduct with the Astros reprehensible but I do not find it disgusting that the Mets paid him some severance when they fired him.   

I don’t know what his contract states but I am guessing it would have ended up in court if they just fired him.  If MLB suspended him which might happen he wouldn’t get paid.  I am thinking he didn’t get his full salary. Probably settled somewhere in the middle.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

All right, I’ll buy that. However, the Mets certainly have an argument if they were to choose to send him away empty handed.

If they choose not to take that route, that’s their call.

11 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Elias is in the witness protection program here in Baltimore.  He's avoiding all this fallout.  

8 hours ago, LookinUp said:

He may have run away from that org just in time to save face. 

Elias and Sig both. Probably others I don't know about. There is that analytics woman he hired. Can't remember her name. She was with Houston too.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I disagree.

So let me get this straight. 

1) Carlos Beltran allegedly has a Twitter burner account on which he's been vehemently trying to defend himself in the third person. 

2) Carlos Beltran's niece has a Twitter account where she's broken several stories, including implicating Bregman, Altuve, etc., in the buzzer wearing scandal...but it's not really his niece...it's a former or current MLB player. 

Am I all caught up? 

For those who are still poo pooing this and saying that "everyone cheats" I think the difference is that 1) The Astros got caught and 2) This is a full on cheating scandal that seems to go deeper and deeper each day. Whether they admit it or not essentially the entire Astros organization conspired to cheat. And it's been proven that it wasn't an isolated incident. The more we find out the more I don't think the penalty was severe enough. And for these cheaters, like Beltran, Cora, etc. who have seemingly shown no remorse for their actions (see Cora's lack of an apology and Beltran's burner tweets), I really hope MLB comes down on them hard. I never want to see either one of them in an MLB uniform again. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

BREAKING:  NY METS GET THEIR MAN!  Costanza to manage!  Calzones to the pre-game buffet!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Philip said:

All right, I’ll buy that. However, the Mets certainly have an argument if they were to choose to send him away empty handed.

If they choose not to take that route, that’s their call.

Having an argument doesn't mean it is a good one or a winnable one. Likely, the Mets' legal team advised management on the smartest and most affordable way to approach the situation with Beltran. When Beltran's team agreed, the two sides negotiated a settlement that both sides could work with. And now it is all in the rear-view mirror instead of being litigated for months.

10 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Having an argument doesn't mean it is a good one or a winnable one. Likely, the Mets' legal team advised management on the smartest and most affordable way to approach the situation with Beltran. When Beltran's team agreed, the two sides negotiated a settlement that both sides could work with. And now it is all in the rear-view mirror instead of being litigated for months.

Yes that’s correct, but remember just because a party concedes does not mean that they could not have won. Remember, “if we take this to court, a whole lot of things will come to light. It’s probably just better to let him take his money and go away”

So the legal argument was not necessarily Because the Mets had no case, but because of other reasons. However, you are correct what done is done and Beltran is relieved...In both senses of the word.

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

What if they asked him his role in the Astros' pending cheating investigation during the interview process and he denied any involvement?  When the report later came out, Beltran was named in the report as a participant.  Wouldn't being shown to have lied in the interview process be sufficient grounds?

3 minutes ago, Number5 said:

What if they asked him his role in the Astros' pending cheating investigation during the interview process and he denied any involvement?  When the report later came out, Beltran was named in the report as a participant.  Wouldn't being shown to have lied in the interview process be sufficient grounds?

Brodie says he never asked. No one ever asked Beltran. 

Seems a tad bit shy of competent to me. Or believable.