HOF announcement in 5 minutes

Frobby

30 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don’t care about unanimous but voting against him seems stupid just to keep him from being unanimous.

Never said that my feelings about the Yankees were rational.  And I would have proudly kept any and all entrants to the HOF from being unanimous.  Is Jeter better than Ty Cobb (98 percent) or Babe Ruth (95 percent) Honus Wagner  (95 percent) or Christy Mathewson (85 percent) or Walter Johnson 83 percent?  Or Cy Young not making it his first year of eligibility? Unanimous votes are just this modern media and generation’s own narcissism. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The show was a Jeter slobberfest.   Made me ill, actually.    Costas: “you could create an argument that Jeter wasn’t the greatest shortstop of all time.”     Yes, but you couldn’t create any reasonable argument that he was the greatest shortstop of all time.   

So they didn't highlight Jeter as the junior Hall of Famer in the newly elected duo?

L
86. Larry Walker (17) 72.7 L
87. Mike Trout (9, 27) 72.5 R
88. Derek Jeter (20) 72.4 R

Maybe its a inside joke of the voters? Not to allow someone to be unanimous, maybe to keep alive the notion that you can't say that one particular player is the best player of all time and deserving of the unanimous vote. Kind of like saying "it don't matter if you're Jeter, Ripken, Maddux, or Griffey, if Aaron, Mantle, and Mays weren't unanimous, no one is unanimous.

Just now, ScGO's said:

Maybe its a inside joke of the voters? Not to allow someone to be unanimous, maybe to keep alive the notion that you can't say that one particular player is the best player of all time and deserving of the unanimous vote. Kind of like saying "it don't matter if you're Jeter, Ripken, Maddux, or Griffey, if Aaron, Mantle, and Mays weren't unanimous, no one is unanimous.

Except the part where Rivera was unanimous.