Beckham returning?

Sir_Loin

Just now, wildcard said:

Looks a little crowded at Norfolk.    Rylan Bannon, Richie Martin,  Dilson Herrera, Jose Rondon, Malquin Canelo, Angelo Mora

None of those guys are really shortstops though save for Martin, who could still crack the team as a UTIL. Herrera could crack the ML squad at 3B. Rondon didn't play much at Norfolk last year. 

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

None of those guys are really shortstops though save for Martin, who could still crack the team as a UTIL. Herrera could crack the ML squad at 3B. Rondon didn't play much at Norfolk last year. 

Martin, Canelo and Mora are all listed as SS.  Rondon has played 574 games in the minors at SS.  Easily his most used position.

There really isn’t a second basemen on the roster. I mean, we’re looking at Wilkerson or Martin and possibly Alberto if Ruiz can hold down 3B on his own. That doesn’t get much more underwhelming. I see a potential Beckham signing as insurance in case one of our beloved replacement level or worse options absolutely can’t hang.  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's a fast starter the last couple seasons. Maybe you can maintain it and flip him. But it always seemed like he needed consistent ABs to be any good. 

I still view this as a deal for him to go play at Norfolk first and foremost. Either way I'm not gonna lose my head over it like some folks. He's just a guy at this point. Can play multiple positions. 

I wouldn’t think about flipping him too much. Teams just aren’t coming off prospects.

He’s a RH stick that put up a .753 OPS last year.

He’d be a nice RH platoon bridge at LF and 3B, until Mountcastle comes up and Bannon is ready for 3B. 

Plus let’s face it, we’re lacking IF depth. Say what you want about Beckham but he’s got a decent stick, seems like he’s now willing to embrace a UTIL role, and has speed and pop. 

45 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I remember he absolutely balled out in his first few weeks with the Mariners.

(Checked Baseball Reference

And AFTER that....

I agree with Interloper, yea or nay it’s no big deal. But personally I’d rather put the Kibosh on any idea of bringing him back.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Seems like he was also willing to play the OF last year.  He logged 91 innings in LF.  He could be a decent RH Utility option.  He could platoon with Ruiz at 3B, backup up all three infield positions in case of injury, and play a little OF(maybe even CF).  He's got speed.  

I'll never be against a milb signing.  

Platoon AB's for him at 3B, 2B, and LF.  

Exactly. He does play OF. I could see him in ST for sure battling Stevie for a roster spot.