Poll: If Darvish is posted...

ChaosLex

Poll: What should the O's bid for Darvish?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: What should the O's bid for Darvish?

• $0. He's got bust written all over him.
    • < $25 Million
    • $25 Million - $50 Million
    • $50 Million - $75 Million
    • > $75 Million

If the Orioles choose to get in on Darvish it will be because they feel there is potential revenue to be had to support it. I think they should do it to get the talent and that is part of it.

The real benefit is exactly what you describe, Merchandise/broadcasting/advertising sales in Asia. I don't know the market well enough to know how big the boost in revenues would be so I can't comment on how much that should factor into the equation. I have to think that with the right marketing it could be huge.

Not that big of a boost, someone, I think stoner, posted a study on the Dice-K impact on the Sox, and it wasn't anything to get excited about.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not that big of a boost, someone, I think stoner, posted a study on the Dice-K impact on the Sox, and it wasn't anything to get excited about.

:scratchchinhmm: Interesting, I haven't seen that. I wonder if the Sox were already popular because they have been so good. In other words it doesn't take much for us to get a 100% increase in Asian revenues.:laughlol:

:scratchchinhmm: Interesting, I haven't seen that. I wonder if the Sox were already popular because they have been so good. In other words it doesn't take much for us to get a 100% increase in Asian revenues.:laughlol:

They were obviously popular here, but don't see why they would have been in Japan where I think the Mariners and Yanks would have gotten the majority of the attention.

They were obviously popular here, but don't see why they would have been in Japan where I think the Mariners and Yanks would have gotten the majority of the attention.

I def could...

I'm sure the Yankees get a lot of play, as you mentioned, and the Sox are their arch rival. I'm sure Japanese fans know who the Sox are and what they represent in that context--thus, they'll know and recognize those players.

It's like the Kobe-McGrady syndrome in China. Everyone watches Yao's games, but it's McGrady and Kobe who are the most popular. Association.

I def could...

I'm sure the Yankees get a lot of play, as you mentioned, and the Sox are their arch rival. I'm sure Japanese fans know who the Sox are and what they represent in that context--thus, they'll know and recognize those players.

It's like the Kobe-McGrady syndrome in China. Everyone watches Yao's games, but it's McGrady and Kobe who are the most popular. Association.

That is what I was thinking. We play the Yankees and the Redsox a lot and we play the mariners. I would think we could develop some kind of offbeat fanbase in asia. With Darvish you have to think he would keep some fans.

I def could...

Knowing and recognizing their players doesn't equate to them rooting for the Sox, or random Sox games being televised there.

Knowing and recognizing their players doesn't equate to them rooting for the Sox, or random Sox games being televised there.

Agree about the random Sox games on tv (altho I'm sure they get ESPN games where the Sox are often on), but I think people would be more inclined to root for the Sox because they know their players. I'm sure some root/rooted for the Sox when they played the Yanks even pre-DiceK.

Sure, they were behind the Dodgers, Mariners and Yanks before signing DiceK, but I'm sure they were more popular than a vast majority of teams. Now how much money that actually made them, I have no idea...possibly very little.

Agree about the random Sox games on tv (altho I'm sure they get ESPN games where the Sox are often on), but I think people would be more inclined to root for the Sox because they know their players. I'm sure some root/rooted for the Sox when they played the Yanks even pre-DiceK.

Sure, they were behind the Dodgers, Mariners and Yanks before signing DiceK, but I'm sure they were more popular than a vast majority of teams. Now how much money that actually made them, I have no idea...possibly very little.

But having a few Japanese fans rooting for your team doesn't help your revenue. So, I would say very little at best to answer your last question.

But having a few Japanese fans rooting for your team doesn't help your revenue. So, I would say very little at best to answer your last question.

But Darvish is such a star in Japan that it would increase merchandise sales, and every time there is a Japanese star on a team, the team comes out with headbands and other crazy items for fans to get into.

But Darvish is such a star in Japan that it would increase merchandise sales, and every time there is a Japanese star on a team, the team comes out with headbands and other crazy items for fans to get into.

That's not what I was talking about, you must not have been following the conversation.

But to respond to your point, that money gets split up between the MLB teams anyway, our revenue would be unlikely to go up that much.

That's not what I was talking about, you must not have been following the conversation.

But to respond to your point, that money gets split up between the MLB teams anyway, our revenue would be unlikely to go up that much.

Don't underestimate advertising revenue (stadium/tv). I have to think the yankees get more per advertisement due to their visibility.

Don't underestimate advertising revenue (stadium/tv). I have to think the yankees get more per advertisement due to their visibility.

Well the Yanks are more visible for many reasons. The study done on the Red Sox shows it didn't help them much. Sure, it would give us a little boost, but not enough to make much of a dent into a 75M posting fee and 75M contract.

I think we should go for it.

So you think Darvish > Dunn + CC or Dunn + Burnett + 7-8M to do what you choose with? Or whatever other combo of players you want to come up with.

If we could get him for about what Daisuke got, I would be much more interested. That was a 51M posting fee and a 6/52 contract, so even when considering the posting fee is more costly since it's upfront, the contract is similiar to what CC will get.

But if it takes a posting fee of 75M or close to it, and then 13-15M a year on salary, that's just absurd imo.

Archived