Guess the 26-man opening roster

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just go to Orioles.com and click on Stats and they’ll pop right up.   This time of year, BB-ref also shows spring training stats on the player pages, but it looks like they are running a day behind at the moment, at least for Hess.  

Yep, here they are, thank you very much. I always check on the team through MLB.com, and I neverYep, here they are, thank you very much. I always check on the team through MLB.com, Which in my mind is basically the same as the team specific website, but I’ll make a note of it in the future, thank you very much

20 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I think there are plenty of players that could be DFA'd before Hess. Like Austin Wynns and DSJ.

Like, Hess I think could be better. Wynns and DSJ are what they are, and I don't think it's much, and worse, they have been made redundant by other players.

You could easily do Severino/Holaday and Sisco/Davis at the Major and AAA levels with someone like Cumberland or Fajardo in a pinch. Wynns is a decent defender but he'll never be a major leaguer. I think he'd pass through waivers no problem.

DSJ doesn't have a position. He's won't hit enough to play everyday and he's not enough on defense to warrant a bench spot. DH spot is full.

Regarding Hess, I think he is an example of the greatest frustration in baseball: a guy with potential who can’t get it together. That’s probably why we spent so long with guys like Wright, Who could throw hard but straight as an arrow, and it was Whammed as often as not… Actually more often than not.

The only reason to keep Hess on the 25 man roster is if there is no one better. At the moment there are several guys who are better: Not necessarily in potential, but in current performance and trending upwards.

There is nothing wrong with sending him down. No need to designate him until the spot is needed.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Regarding Hess, I think he is an example of the greatest frustration in baseball: a guy with potential who can’t get it together. That’s probably why we spent so long with guys like Wright, Who could throw hard but straight as an arrow, and it was Whammed as often as not… Actually more often than not.

The only reason to keep Hess on the 25 man roster is if there is no one better. At the moment there are several guys who are better: Not necessarily in potential, but in current performance and trending upwards.

There is nothing wrong with sending him down. No need to designate him until the spot is needed.

Yeah, I'd rather not DFA Hess just yet until we're sure he can't crank his stuff up out of the bullpen. 

A guy like Phillips I'm fine to DFA. I like Tate and Carroll over him.

18 hours ago, interloper said:

Yeah, I'd rather not DFA Hess just yet until we're sure he can't crank his stuff up out of the bullpen. 

A guy like Phillips I'm fine to DFA. I like Tate and Carroll over him.

I think Phillips is injured.

On 2/18/2020 at 2:15 PM, Philip said:

Here’s my take, based on what I think should happen. On the other hand, Mike doesn’t have me on speed dial.

C- Severino, Holaday. 
Sisco needs to analyze what’s wrong and fix it, so he goes down, maybe to learn a new position. Holaday has had modest success with the bat and hasn’t been hopeless with the glove, neither of which can be said of Sisco. 

1B: Davis( Lord ha’ mercy)
2B: Alberto
3B: Ruiz
SS: Iglesias

OF: Mancini, Hays, Santander
DH Nunez

Utility Guys: Mason Williams, Dilson Herrera, And someone not in camp. I really think Urena should have the spot: he’s bigger, younger, a switch hitter, and offers good D. And technically he’s not in camp., but if not him, than someone else not currently in camp.

SP: Means, Cobb, Wojo, Bailey, Stewart

Bullpen: Givens, Harvey, Castro, Bleier, Armstrong, Fry, Sulser, Shepherd

Nunez Backs up 3B(Shudder)
Mancini backs up DH and 1B, Urena handles middle IF duties.

Mountcastle is waiting, Smith is Gone, Stewart is injured, Wilkerson has been supplanted by better players, though we may see him this season. Williams can play all the OF so gives roster flexibility.
Milone and LeBlanc are insurance, but part of the past. Stewart is possibly part of the Future so I give him the nod. 
Sulser was dumped by Tampa because they have lots of good players, and not because he’s bad. His MiL stats are consistent, and I think except for his lousy 37%GB rate, for me, he’s the most likely Dark Horse to make the team.

With two extra spots, I gave them to Shepherd, who I thought did well enough last season to have a slight leg up on some other guys, and Rucker, because why the hell not.

edit: I forgot about the rule about a maximum 13 pitchers, which is yet another reason to despise the man who runs the game these days. So I deleted Shepherd.

gotta have a 26th man though. Urias is too much like Urena,...

edit: Well, one has been fed to the lions. So I need to adjust. Urena has been DFA-ed, so we need to rethink...

Well, it seems I got Shepherd, Stewart, Sulser, and Urena wrong, And things also are looking dim for both Herrera and “player not yet in camp”

Thank God for Holaday!

I think there will be a trade before long involving Givens and possibly Nunez. Just a hunch.

infield; Davis,  Iglesias, Alberto, Ruiz, Nunez. Valaika and Rondon

Outfield; Mancini, Hays, Santander Williams, Mullins

SP; Means, Cobb, Wojo, LeBlanc, Milone

RP; Harvey, Bleier, Castro, Armstrong, Fry, Carroll and Eshelman

Catcher; Severino, Holaday

Sisco is a  tough decision because of his left handed bat. Holaday has more experience and a better bat.

3 hours ago, section18 said:

I think there will be a trade before long involving Givens and possibly Nunez. Just a hunch.

infield; Davis,  Iglesias, Alberto, Ruiz, Nunez. Valaika and Rondon

Outfield; Mancini, Hays, Santander Williams, Mullins

RP; Harvey, Bleier, Castro, Armstrong, Fry, Carroll and Eshelman

Sisco is a  tough decision because of his left handed bat. Holaday has more experience and a better bat.

Close but not quite what I have:

infield; Davis,  Iglesias, Alberto, Ruiz, Nunez. Valaika, Martin

Outfield; Mancini, Hays, Santander, Williams

RP; Harvey, Bleier, Givens, Castro, Armstrong, Fry, Carroll and Eshelman

The last 10 days will be important to see how players perform when the regulars play.

On 2/19/2020 at 8:15 PM, tntoriole said:

Infield: Davis, Alberto, Iglesias, Ruiz, Nunez, Velasquez (6)

Catchers: Severino, Sisco (2)

Outfielders: Mancini, Hays, Santander, Dwight Smith, Jr., Wilkerson (5)

Starters: Means, Cobb, Wojo, Hess, Bailey (5)

Bullpen: Givens, Harvey, Castro, Scott, Rucker, Fry, Bleier, Armstrong (8)

Oh well...I am glad they made Rule 5 picks without thinking it through very much as to whether they would be keeping them or not.  

32 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Huh?

Just being dramatic...lol.  But I liked what I saw of the Rule 5s and was a bit disappointed but also the explanation ME offered for their return seemed evasive to me because the reasons he gave were already realities  that were certainly known when they made the picks...i.e. roster size, 3 batter rule, etc. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Just being dramatic...lol.  But I liked what I saw of the Rule 5s and was a bit disappointed but also the explanation ME offered for their return seemed evasive to me because the reasons he gave were already realities  that were certainly known when they made the picks...i.e. roster size, 3 batter rule, etc. 

But it wasn’t known that there would be guys that cleared waivers and stay with the organization and guys working their way up the ranks that have looked like they can compete at the major league level.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Close but not quite what I have:

infield; Davis,  Iglesias, Alberto, Ruiz, Nunez. Valaika, Martin

Outfield; Mancini, Hays, Santander, Williams

RP; Harvey, Bleier, Givens, Castro, Armstrong, Fry, Carroll and Eshelman

The last 10 days will be important to see how players perform when the regulars play.

C Severino

1B Davis

2B Albert

SS Iglesias

3B Ruiz

OF Santander, Hays, Mancini

DH Nunez

Bench:  Holaday, Herrera, Valaika, Williams

Rotation:  Means, Cobb, Wojo, LeBlanc, Milone

Pen: Givens, Castro, Harvey, Fry, Bleier, Carroll, Eshelman, Scott