Chance Sisco 2020

Frobby

The broadcast had Rayford in '85 as the last catcher leading off for us.  Watching him catch Milone it struck me maybe he works as personal catcher for someone who controls running game well even in time of Adley, if you call 128/32 his max PT limit anyway.

For as long as this lasts he's Pipped Hays from leadoff in my mind.

I still have a light on for 6 PA in 24 games Franklin Barreto, and hope for Sisco, Santander, Nunez, Ruiz, Mountcastle, Hays, Severino, Alberto, Barreto next Tuesday.  Yusniel 9/1 - I'm good showcasing both catchers these next two weeks.

I can’t quite figure out Sisco.    He’s got excellent strike zone judgment, but he swings and misses at pitches in the strike zone at a very high rate.    The most comparable player I can think of is Mark Reynolds, but the Sheriff had a much more violent swing and was more of a HR hitter.   Could it be as simple as lack of bat speed?

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I can’t quite figure out Sisco.    He’s got excellent strike zone judgment, but he swings and misses at pitches in the strike zone at a very high rate.    The most comparable player I can think of is Mark Reynolds, but the Sheriff had a much more violent swing and was more of a HR hitter.   Could it be as simple as lack of bat speed?

Maybe he is also blind?

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

The broadcast had Rayford in '85 as the last catcher leading off for us.

That's more evidence that Earl had been taken over by an alien presence during his return stint.  Rayford actually led off five times that year.  He walked 10 times in 379 PA.  Coming into the season he had a career .279 OBP.  He stole four bases in his career, probably because the opponents didn't hold him on because they didn't think him stealing was possible*.

*Somehow the Sugar Bear had 24 steals as a 17-year-old in the Pioneer League in '75.  Seriously, he must have gained 50 pounds in those 10 years.  He's listed at 190, but that has to be undercounting by 30-40 pounds.

192.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The narrative that forms in my brain, and may even have some tenuous connection to reality, goes like this:

- In the minors he was often a high average, high OBP guy with little power
- In today's three true outcome, launch angle, damn-the-strikeouts world the coaches have encouraged him to hit more balls hard, in the air
- Instead of making contact, going the other way, working the count, he's thinking he needs to put the ball 26 rows up in the RF stands
- At the MLB level this leads to a K rate of over 30%, compared to 19% in the minors
- Perhaps he'd be better off as the hitter he is, rather than the hitter the coaches want everyone to be

• Upvote 1

My earlier today enthusiasm was tempered a little bit seeing the K% alongside the crazy triple slash.

Jesse Winker in Cincinnati has something similar going on.  I feel like this is the one where the book on a guy is good eye, too passive, but the guy has changed gears to trying to hit the snot out of the ball.

It looks like a few balls were in play today, but this morning the Three True Outcomes percentage was 70-ish.

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The narrative that forms in my brain, and may even have some tenuous connection to reality, goes like this:

- In the minors he was often a high average, high OBP guy with little power
- In today's three true outcome, launch angle, damn-the-strikeouts world the coaches have encouraged him to hit more balls hard, in the air
- Instead of making contact, going the other way, working the count, he's thinking he needs to put the ball 26 rows up in the RF stands
- At the MLB level this leads to a K rate of over 30%, compared to 19% in the minors
- Perhaps he'd be better off as the hitter he is, rather than the hitter the coaches want everyone to be

There's a lot to this theory, simply because this seems to be his approach when the scenario in the game dictates the need to gain base runners over all else.  To me, these feel like the times he's most comfortable.

o

Sisco's 3-run shot has actually made the score resemble a competitive game ........ 8-5, Red Sox.

(vs. RED SOX, 8/21)

NUMBER 4

CHANCE THOMALEO SISCO

CHANCE THOMALEO SISC

CHANCE THOMALEO SISCO

CHANCE THOMALEO SISCO

CHANCE THOMALEO SISCO

CHANCE THOMALEO SISCO

CHANCE THOMALEO SISCO

o

On 8/19/2020 at 2:34 PM, Frobby said:

He definitely seems to have trouble making contact with good breaking balls. Not sure if it a bad speed or pitch recognition issue.

His contact to damage ratio seems quite high compared to the high batting average low power guy we saw come up in the minors. Last year too. 

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You know what I haven't seen in the game threads?

Folks complaining about how teams are running wild when Sisco is behind the plate.

Also, lefty-lefty dong.

So far in '20 we're seeing the fewest steals per game in a MLB season since 1971.  Soon it'll be like the 40s and 50s, you could run a one-armed catcher out there and the difference wouldn't be noticeable.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So far in '20, we're seeing the fewest steals-per-game in a MLB season since 1971. Soon it'll be like the 40's and 50's, you could run a one-armed catcher out there, and the difference wouldn't be noticeable.

o

o