Hyde on David Hess' improvement

wildcard

16 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I just made a list of players with 100-300 innings and a 5.50+ ERA through age 25, just like Hess.  179 names popped up, and at least 3-4 of them had MLB careers like Cal McLish and Ted Abernathy.  And Dana Eveland.  So I'm saying there's a chance.

To be fair, I was convinced the reports were spring fluff in 2014 when they were talking about Britton having added velocity on his sinker. Every once in a while something clicks. 

I also thought it was just spring rust when Ubaldo came in and got lit up in his first spring appearance. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

To be fair, I was convinced the reports were spring fluff in 2014 when they were talking about Britton having added velocity on his sinker. Every once in a while something clicks. 

I also thought it was just spring rust when Ubaldo came in and got lit up in his first spring appearance. 

Spring training reports are like someone hitting .400 the first week of the season.  Irrationally exuberant.  Except that on February 21st it's all made up instead of 95% made up.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Spring training reports are like someone hitting .400 the first week of the season.  Irrationally exuberant.  Except that on February 21st it's all made up instead of 95% made up.

I saw a tight breaking slider today. High four seam as well. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/21/2020 at 3:23 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

From the dawn of time until today there has been a steady shift in pitcher workloads because, as far as we can tell, the shorter the outing the better the pitcher.  If you had 50-man rosters nobody would throw to more than three batters.  With 26-man rosters you could probably still work out a way to have nobody ever go through the lineup more than once.

As I pointed out before too Hess was better the second time through the order.  But yes almost universally pitchers are worse the more the hitters see them and the more tired they get.

49 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

As I pointed out before too Hess was better the second time through the order.  But yes almost universally pitchers are worse the more the hitters see them and the more tired they get.

Even Hess.  When facing a batter the first time his OPSvs is .849.  2nd time .850.  Third time .958. 

In 2019 that was .863, 1.038, and .917.

35 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Even Hess.  When facing a batter the first time his OPSvs is .849.  2nd time .850.  Third time .958. 

In 2019 that was .863, 1.038, and .917.

Usually guys with stats like that don’t come back the next year. Basically everyone who faced him the second time through the order hit like a first ballot Hall of Famer.  

14 hours ago, atomic said:

Right handlers hit Hess better than Trout has hit the league in his career. 

The year after George Sherrill left the O's (2010) he had a .573 OPS against lefties, a 1.223 against righties.  Pitched two more years in the majors.

In 2006 Eddie Guardado had a 1.029 against righties, and a .640 against lefties.  He pitched another three years.

Remember Mike Myers?  In 1996 righties OPS'd .911 off of him and he led the league in games pitched.  In '97 he again led the league in games pitched with righties OPSing .957 off of him.  He was still pitching in 2007.

This is the reason for the three-batter rule.  For 30+ years we've had the baseball equivalent of a kickoff-only kicker. Does one thing kind of well in one circumstance, but nothing else of note.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The year after George Sherrill left the O's (2010) he had a .573 OPS against lefties, a 1.223 against righties.  Pitched two more years in the majors.

In 2006 Eddie Guardado had a 1.029 against righties, and a .640 against lefties.  He pitched another three years.

Remember Mike Myers?  In 1996 righties OPS'd .911 off of him and he led the league in games pitched.  In '97 he again led the league in games pitched with righties OPSing .957 off of him.  He was still pitching in 2007.

This is the reason for the three-batter rule.  For 30+ years we've had the baseball equivalent of a kickoff-only kicker. Does one thing kind of well in one circumstance, but nothing else of note.

I remember Mike Myers.  Haven't seen him in awhile.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2