Who Goes in the First Cut?

wildcard

6 hours ago, SteveA said:

Doesn't matter.   He's not making the team, he's just here for a look-see.   Those guys will be the first to go.

We brought in a bunch of random 2B/SS types who don’t offer any value to a major league team. I don’t see any reason why McCoy shouldn’t have the chance to compete against them throughout spring training.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You are ALWAYS useful!    But the news about Wells came from Chuck Boemmel, in the thread you started.   

Thanks.

I’m wondering what Wells off season program is like, especially close to Spring Training for him to suffer an oblique injury two seasons in a row. He doesn’t generate enough torque in his motion for it.

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

You’re probably about right.  MiL camp starts on March 4.   Last year first cut was on March 3.

Please explain why this matters.  Eric has been to the minor league camp and there are a lot on minor leaguers all ready at Twin Lakes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Please explain why this matters.  Eric has been to the minor league camp and there are a lot on minor leaguers all ready at Twin Lakes.

I don’t know why, but from last year’s timing and Hyde’s statement above, it seems to matter.    Could be some CBA Rule, could be some operational issue, could be some ingrained tradition with no real logical rationale.    Uncle Frobby doesn’t have all the answers.   

10 minutes ago, Eric-OH said:

I bet it has something to do with adherence to league policies, but more to do with starting their workload for 2020.  Based on what I’d see, I would guess that each and every pitcher has a specific innings threshold and Wells is no exception.  He’ll get some work if healthy against a higher tier of hitter if possible and then mid-March probably transfer to minor league camp and start that innings load.  I also agree with a previous poster that this particular injury is a less than normal one for a guy who doesn’t use extreme torque and violence to get his offerings to the catcher. 

He'll get no work with an oblique again. Very disappointing.