Stix declares for NBA draft

Wish

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2020 at 5:06 PM, Jagwar said:

I have a sense that the Terps are going to really struggle next year. Losing Stix and Cowan, Lindo transferring. And transfer after transfer passing on Maryland. 

This was Turgeon's last shot for along time and maybe ever, and now we'll never know what could have happened with this team. 

Terps will be after thought next year and for awhile. Selfishly, I hope Turgeon either resigns or is let go but I don't think there is any chance of that coming off this year. 

On 4/17/2020 at 10:58 AM, Tony-OH said:

This was Turgeon's last shot for along time and maybe ever, and now we'll never know what could have happened with this team. 

Terps will be after thought next year and for awhile. Selfishly, I hope Turgeon either resigns or is let go but I don't think there is any chance of that coming off this year. 

Tomaic just entered the transfer window too. Now the Terps can't even keep less than mediocre players. I'm wondering if the remaining projected starters are next. 

IMO this is a prime example of poor recruiting planning. 

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

Tomaic just entered the transfer window too. Now the Terps can't even keep less than mediocre players. I'm wondering if the remaining projected starters are next. 

IMO this is a prime example of poor recruiting planning. 

No doubt. Starting with the Mitchell twins, who by the way looked awful when they actually played, He's bringing in mediocre talent and can't even keep them, especially with his penchant for always going with a 6 or 7 man rotation.

52 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

No doubt. Starting with the Mitchell twins, who by the way looked awful when they actually played, He's bringing in mediocre talent and can't even keep them, especially with his penchant for always going with a 6 or 7 man rotation.

Well... I might suggest that he brought in great talent in Stix and Cowan and Wiggins, even Scott and Ayala are good players. The Mitchell twins were a swing and miss but that happens. 

The broader problem is that he didn't consistently bring in good talent. His 2020 class is thin and from what I've seen his 2021 is no sure thing either. 

49 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Well... I might suggest that he brought in great talent in Stix and Cowan and Wiggins, even Scott and Ayala are good players. The Mitchell twins were a swing and miss but that happens. 

The broader problem is that he didn't consistently bring in good talent. His 2020 class is thin and from what I've seen his 2021 is no sure thing either. 

Scott, Wiggens and Ayala are role players in a top program. Stix and Cowan were good no doubt, but what did he win with this "talent?" Part of a Big -10 championship that he team melted down in the end to "earn" and unable to get past the second round of the tourney? 

25 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Scott, Wiggens and Ayala are role players in a top program. Stix and Cowan were good no doubt, but what did he win with this "talent?" Part of a Big -10 championship that he team melted down in the end to "earn" and unable to get past the second round of the tourney? 

While I give a pass (somewhat) for the lack of March Madness this year, you're spot on... his tournament record definitely disappoints. Maryland should be a talent pipeline, but he isn't the coach who can deliver consistent talent to the program.   

Damn I didn't know Lindo and Tomaic were transferring.  Team will definitely struggle next year.  Only hope is that Marial develops into a monster and Ayala and Wiggins up their games big time.

Not having the conference and NCAA tournaments this year was devastating.  Probably Turgeon's only chance to show that he could take the team really far. 

By the way, Turgeon needs to step up his recruiting.  Regardless of what you think he has done with the "talent," his strength has been being able to bring up high level recruits to at least make Maryland competitive.  We only have Dockery coming in this year.  Won't be able to field a full 13 scholarship roster at this point.  For 2021, Benny Williams from St. Andrews looks to be the best possible recruit.  Trey Patterson would be a nice pick up as well.

I don't know why Lindo and Tomaic left, they would have gotten lots of playing time this year.  I hope that a Morsell, Scott, Wiggins, Ayala, Marial starting lineup will at least get us in the tournament (maybe).  Bench is going to be thin as hell.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 5:02 PM, Oriole4Life said:

By the way, Turgeon needs to step up his recruiting.  Regardless of what you think he has done with the "talent," his strength has been being able to bring up high level recruits to at least make Maryland competitive.  We only have Dockery coming in this year.  Won't be able to field a full 13 scholarship roster at this point.  For 2021, Benny Williams from St. Andrews looks to be the best possible recruit.  Trey Patterson would be a nice pick up as well.

I don't know why Lindo and Tomaic left, they would have gotten lots of playing time this year.  I hope that a Morsell, Scott, Wiggins, Ayala, Marial starting lineup will at least get us in the tournament (maybe).  Bench is going to be thin as hell.

Here's Turgeon's response to his recruiting difficulties thus far: 

https://247sports.com/college/maryland/LongFormArticle/Mark-Turgeon-on-Maryland-Basketball-Recruiting-Jalen-Smith-Transfers-Aquan-Smart-Marcus-Dockery-146872988/

On 5/7/2020 at 7:56 AM, Wish said:

Yeah the transfer market has been a bit disappointing, sometimes that is just luck of the draw.  I read yesterday (same 247 article, just updated) about Alabama graduate transfer named Galin Smith who has the Terps in his top 3.  6-9 forward.  With him and Jarius Hamilton (assuming he is eligible) we should be okay up front.

I just read about Aquan Smart yesterday, seems like a late bloomer, but solid recruit for 2021 class.  There is a 6'8 SF from Milwaukee named James Graham, seems like just a verbal commit as of now.

https://247sports.com/player/james-graham-46058803/

• 2 weeks later...

https://247sports.com/Article/Maryland-basketball-recruiting-Terps-make-Ike-Cornish-cut-Crystal-Ball-147226386/

https://www.fredericknewspost.com/sports/level/collegiate/julian-reese-a-four-star-forward-from-baltimore-commits-to-maryland-for-2021/article_06d54e0e-9eac-5b83-a98b-fae9e039c5dc.html

Turgeon and the recruiting staff have been working hard on 2021.  Signed Julian Reese, ranked #103 overall, a couple of weeks ago.  Ike Cornish, ranked #85 (according to Rivals) and a Baltimore native, has the Terps in his top six. 

• 3 weeks later...