Orioles introducing Artificial Intelligence

Sir_Loin

If this is a repost please disregard. Apparently, the Orioles are using AI for Ballpark Operations and security.

Camden Yards, home to the Baltimore Orioles, is set to become one of the first stadiums to use cutting-edge technology to boost security through a new system developed by Liberty Defense Holdings Ltd.

The new platform, called HEXWAVE, uses low-power, radar imaging and artificial intelligence, specialized for detecting and identifying metallic and nonmetallic weapons without collecting or storing any personally identifiable information.

Article: Click Here

5 hours ago, LA2 said:

Balls/strikes or fastball/breaking pitch?

Both!  If you have a powerful enough computer you could track every pitcher/pitch/situation/batter in a database, and in a fraction of a second simulate 10000 PAs, analyze the results, and then signal to the pitcher the most effective pitch and location.  You know it's coming, let's get on the train.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Both!  If you have a powerful enough computer you could track every pitcher/pitch/situation/batter in a database, and in a fraction of a second simulate 10000 PAs, analyze the results, and then signal to the pitcher the most effective pitch and location.  You know it's coming, let's get on the train.

Now I understand that when managers say, "That's why ya play the games." (as opposed to being satisfied with statistical predictions), they really meant something else than what I thought. One plays to provide data.

I envision that the front line of resistance to such total simulation will be grounds crews altering the condition, topology, and dimensions of the field each game at the last minute. Hydraulically cantilevered right-field balconies (aka porches), Green Monster sections and adjustable-height ball nets on wheels or rails (the former with or without three rows or a patio of food and drink-serviced seats), electronically-controlled, crowd-sourced ground-wetting and -drying systems, easy-detach-and-haul bounce-enhancing or deadening mats of Astroturf, rotatable glare and shadow-producing light stanchions, precisely pointed noise-cancelling towers amidst the box seats whenever too many fans from adjacent empires show up. Thus, a new meaning as well to "Games are won or lost on the field."

One could even let fans do the modifications after the previous game or series. Attendance would really matter even more then.

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

Now I understand that when managers say, "That's why ya play the games." (as opposed to statistical predictions), they really meant something else than what I thought. One plays to provide data.

I envision that the front line of resistance to such total simulation will be grounds crews altering the condition, pattern, and dimensions of the field each game at the last minute. Hydraulically cantilevered right-field balconies (aka porches), Green Monster sections and adjustable-height ball nets on wheels (the former with or without three rows or a patio of food and drink-serviced seats), electronically-controlled crowd-sourced ground-wetting and -drying systems, easy-detach-and-haul bounce-enhancing or deadening mats of Astroturf, rotatable glare and shadows-producing light stanchions, precisely pointed noise-cancelling towers amidst the box seats whenever too many fans from adjacent empires show up. Thus, a new meaning as well to "Games are won or lost on the field."

One could even let fans do the modifications after the previous game or series. Attendance would really matter then.

Bill Veeck claims that he put a screen in RF when he owned the minor league Brewers.  When they were up the screen was rolled down, when they were in the field it went back up.  That night the league outlawed changes to field configurations in-game or maybe in-season. 

The only issue is there's no evidence this ever happened besides Veeck's book.

• Haha 1