How and when will MLB resume in 2020? Update: Owners Agree - Proposal Submitted to Union

PaulFolk

15 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The basics are pretty simple, although I'm sure there's all kinds of nuance I don't get.

- Bowler throws ball to try to knock bails off wicket to get batter out. Usually on a bounce to take advantage of unpredictable surface, that wears down as the game goes on.
- The bowler has to throw with a stiff elbow.  Which baseball used 150 years ago.
- Batter is defending wicket, while also trying to score runs by running back and forth to other wicket.
- Batter can be put out if the ball is returned from the field and the bails are knocked off when he's running in the middle.
- In limited overs cricket the bowler can only throw so many pitches before the innings is over, which serves as a kind of shot clock - the batter has to eventually go on offense and not just totally "foul" off balls to defend the wicket, or he'll run out of chances.
- The ball is very much like a baseball, just with a seam around the middle.  It's hard.
- The ball can go fast.  Bowlers get a run-up, and can throw about as fast as a pitcher.
- There is also traditional unlimited overs games that can take five days.  All 11 on each team bat, and that's an innings.
- A great batting performance is a Century - 100 runs before being put out.
- There's a boundary, a big oval set back 200 (?) feet from the pitch in the middle.  Hit it over on the fly and it's six runs, on the roll or bounce and it's four.
- Scores are quoted in runs and wickets.  The team batting second has to catch up and pass the other, and will win if they match the other team's runs with fewer wickets being taken.

Ok, I think I'm starting to get it.   Let's start with baseball, make it as "cricket" like as possible.

- No foul territory

- There's one inning, everyone on the team gets to bat exactly once, and tries to score as many points as possible before being called out, at least in some versions of cricket.  In other versions, there is a limited number of hittable pitches you are allowed before dismissal.

- The pitcher (bowler in cricket) must bounce the ball prior it reaching the batter.  (Though if this is true, why don't they simply throw a the feet every time making it really hard to hit?).   As you said, he also can't throw like a baseball pitcher - the arm has to be straight during the delivery.  Although I've read this is biomechanically impossible, and apparently now the elbow angle can be up to 15 degrees.

- Same rules regarding being out by a fielder catching a ball without bouncing.  ("dismissed" or "losing their wicket" in cricket terms).  However, in cricket this is more severe as you only get to bat once

- Same rule regarding being "thrown out" after hitting the ball on a bounce, and failing to reach base before a fielder can deliver the ball to another fielder who is there. (wicket in cricket)

- One strike and you're out  (In cricket, if the ball hits the wicket without being struck, or maybe even if it is struck?)

- If you get hit by the pitch (bowl), you are also out.  This is why cricketers wear pads while batting.

- You may elect to run or not run after hitting the ball. 

- Instead of having to go all the way around the bases to score, you get one point for a single, two for a double, three for a triple and six for a home run.   And maybe four for a ground rule double.  You have to carry your bat while running, so no bat flips.

- There 's always one teammate on base who also has to run at the same time as you, who can also be thrown out.   He also has to carry his bat while running.  There.s no other baserunners.  I suppose we should make him start at first base, then maybe he has to go around the bases counter clockwise.  Although this leads to somewhat of a complication with the bases, maybe it would make more sense to do away with first and third and make them run to second instead - although this would make scoring  very hard - so maybe do away with the bases and just use the pitchers mound.   If we do this, there's no point in having infield dirt - which is why cricket fields are mostly grass.

Edited by GuidoSarducci
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Ok, I think I'm starting to get it.   Let's start with baseball, make it as "cricket" like as possible.

- No foul territory

- There's one inning, everyone on the team gets to bat exactly once, and tries to score as many points as possible before being called out, at least in some versions of cricket.  In other versions, there is a limited number of hittable pitches you are allowed before dismissal.

- The pitcher (bowler in cricket) must bounce the ball prior it reaching the batter.  (Though if this is true, why don't they simply throw a the feet every time making it really hard to hit?).   As you said, he also can't throw like a baseball pitcher - the arm has to be straight during the delivery.  Although I've read this is biomechanically impossible, and apparently now the elbow angle can be up to 15 degrees.

- Same rules regarding being out by a fielder catching a ball without bouncing.  ("dismissed" or "losing their wicket" in cricket terms).  However, in cricket this is more severe as you only get to bat onceYes

- Same rule regarding being "thrown out" after hitting the ball on a bounce, and failing to reach base before a fielder can deliver the ball to another fielder who is there. (wicket in cricket)

- One strike and you're out  (In cricket, if the ball hits the wicket without being struck, or maybe even if it is struck?)

- If you get hit by the pitch (bowl), you are also out.  This is why cricketers wear pads while batting.

- You may elect to run or not run after hitting the ball. 

- Instead of having to go all the way around the bases to score, you get one point for a single, two for a double, three for a triple and six for a home run.   And maybe four for a ground rule double.  You have to carry your bat while running, so no bat flips.

- There 's always one teammate on base who also has to run at the same time as you, who can also be thrown out.   He also has to carry his bat while running.  There.s no other baserunners.  I suppose we should make him start at first base, then maybe he has to go around the bases counter clockwise.  Although this leads to somewhat of a complication with the bases, maybe it would make more sense to do away with first and third and make them run to second instead - although this would make scoring  very hard - so maybe do away with the bases and just use the pitchers mound.   If we do this, there's no point in having infield dirt - which is why cricket fields are mostly grass.

- Right, no foul territory.  The pitch sits in the middle of a large oval.

- One-day cricket has two innings.  Five day test matches have four.

- There's rules against that.  First, I would think it doesn't do the bowler any good to throw at the batsman, because then he has no chance of hitting the wicket, which is how you get him out.  Also, there was the Don Bradman bodyline controversy which directly deals with this issue.  Since this is very English you must pronounce controversy "con-trov-a-see".

- Yes, on the catching and the throwing out.  Although you have to knock the bails off when the batter is between the wickets (in between the lines of the popping creases if you want to get technical)

- Yes, you only have to be bowled out once to be retired.

- Sorta maybe on the HBP.  You can't stick your leg in front of the wicket (out Leg Before Wicket or LBW).  But I think you're okay if you get hit by a bowled ball and you're not in front of the wicket.  Not 100% sure, but I think that's just a wide ball, it's a nothing.

- Yes, there's nothing compelling you to run when you've hit the ball except the need to score runs.

- And yes, batsmen are paired up.  And the bowler throws so many balls to each end in an over, so they can switch back and forth as to whom is batting. If one is put out he walks off the field (sometimes right up through the crowd to the clubhouse, although cricket fans are usually too polite to heckle) and the other continues.

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

- Right, no foul territory.  The pitch sits in the middle of a large oval.

- One-day cricket has two innings.  Five day test matches have four.

- There's rules against that.  First, I would think it doesn't do the bowler any good to throw at the batsman, because then he has no chance of hitting the wicket, which is how you get him out.  Also, there was the Don Bradman bodyline controversy which directly deals with this issue.  Since this is very English you must pronounce controversy "con-trov-a-see".

- Yes, on the catching and the throwing out.  Although you have to knock the bails off when the batter is between the wickets (in between the lines of the popping creases if you want to get technical)

- Yes, you only have to be bowled out once to be retired.

- Sorta maybe on the HBP.  You can't stick your leg in front of the wicket (out Leg Before Wicket or LBW).  But I think you're okay if you get hit by a bowled ball and you're not in front of the wicket.  Not 100% sure, but I think that's just a wide ball, it's a nothing.

- Yes, there's nothing compelling you to run when you've hit the ball except the need to score runs.

- And yes, batsmen are paired up.  And the bowler throws so many balls to each end in an over, so they can switch back and forth as to whom is batting. If one is put out he walks off the field (sometimes right up through the crowd to the clubhouse, although cricket fans are usually too polite to heckle) and the other continues.

Twenty20 Cricket is also a thing, matches last two to three hours.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Twenty20 Cricket is also a thing, matches last two to three hours.

Yes it is, and yes they do.  I think it's treated like how you'd imagine 90-minute baseball would be.  Mostly younger people and casual fans think it's awesome to watch a cricket match that doesn't take all week.  The traditionalists think it's like having the Queen over for a formal dinner and when she gets there you've just microwaved a couple of Hungry Man Salisbury Steaks and you toss her a Beast Lite.

41 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

According to the morning news the NBA has given teams permission to reopen practice facilities. This is obviously the first step to resuming their season. I’m guessing that baseball will do the same pretty quickly.

I think only in places where lock downs are not in effect.

5 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

I think only in places where lock downs are not in effect.

Not sure about basketball ...But Baseball will be able to send teams to Florida.....If the beaches are open then there is no need to prevent the baseball spring training camps from reopening.

Arizona: Gov. Doug Ducey’s office has yet to decide on a reopening plan, but said an announcement will come this week.

Florida: The state's stay-at-home order is set to expire April 30. No announcement for reopening has been made, but Friday was the last day for Gov. Rick DeSantis' reopening task force to the offer recommendations, with an announcement likely this week.

I'm not sure how Florida can enforce anything as they opened the beaches a week or two ago.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Not sure about basketball ...But Baseball will be able to send teams to Florida.....If the beaches are open then there is no need to prevent the baseball spring training camps from reopening.

I'm not sure how Florida can enforce anything as they opened the beaches a week or two ago.

How about some actual data about Florida's beaches.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/325997-which-florida-beaches-are-closed-which-are-still-open

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So its a mixed bag .. They showed it on the morning news last week. The areas open are crowded right next to places that are closed. Its impossible to enforce

Our individual counties can be pretty large.  Overall not much is open at this date.  I don't think any beaches near ST facilities are open but I didn't look that closely to the list.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Our individual counties can be pretty large.  Overall not much is open at this date.  I don't think any beaches near ST facilities are open but I didn't look that closely to the list.

I don't think its that big of a deal to open the facilities to players (not fans)