Will Chris Davis opt not to play in 2020?

wildcard

If there is a MLB season and  if players are given the option  to play at half pay or stay out because they don't want to risk catching the virus.

Davis has already been paid about 119M in his MLB career.   HIs half payoff  2020  would be 11.5m.   His 2021 and 2022 seasons will pay him 46M.   Is it worth it to him and his family to play in 2020 with the virus risk or could he forgo the 11.5m and be safer at home?

Some would say who cares if he plays or not.   But with Mancini on the IL it may open up first base for Ryan Mountcastle.     It could mean a ton to him.

6 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

He should really just donate his salary from this year to Baltimore hospitals and food banks... 

He just donated $3 mill earlier this year. Just saying...

Yes there is risk in playing, or not playing. I'm thinking in CD's case, his off season buffing up and his surprisingly successful spring are going to make him want to play very badly.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, scOtt said:

He just donated $3 mill earlier this year. Just saying...

Yes there is risk in playing, or not playing. I'm thinking in CD's case, his off season buffing up and his surprisingly successful spring are going to make him want to play very badly.

There's no way Davis doesn't play and due to what Trey is battling right now, there is spot opened up for a OF/DH type to get more at bats. And (big) if Davis really has improved he will get more at bats than he might have otherwise. Plus with this year's schedule being shortened it might keep a prospect like Mountcastle waiting until 2021 to play at the big league level. 

13 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Counterpoint, $11M is still a lot and is more incentive to play than the majority of MLB players. He was also having a good spring until the shutdown. 

Considering close to half of that will be taken in taxes, and he gave away $3 million this year, I'd say it would be worth it to play.  

27 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

There's no way Davis doesn't play and due to what Trey is battling right now, there is spot opened up for a OF/DH type to get more at bats. And (big) if Davis really has improved he will get more at bats than he might have otherwise. Plus with this year's schedule being shortened it might keep a prospect like Mountcastle waiting until 2021 to play at the big league level. 

I don't know about that. And by that I'm not disagreeing with you. It might keep Ryan out or it might not. I REALLY don't know. It's an interesting question.

With Trey being out all year I'm guessing he's at least on the 50-man roster. If Trey was playing I'd bet Ryan was left out.

• Upvote 1