2020 Comp Pick A (30): Jordan Westburg - SS - (JR) (Mississippi State)

These picks are just terrible.  

I don't get it.  I thought this draft was deep in college pitching?  Don't we need pitching?  Don't we need position players with plate discipline (Martin)?  

I've never been more disappointed with an Orioles draft. 

39 might be great spot.  Tigers shouldn’t be able to go over slot so Elias needs to get the first two agreed to deal then we know exactly how much money they have and then you take it to a few over slots type guys and see who will take what.

23 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Okay, now I’m pissed. I gave the Orioles the benefit of the doubt with the Hierstad pick by assuming that they’ll pick an overslot high school player later in the first round. That turned out to be a bunch of baloney. This is Orioles ownership being cheap period. I’m starting to believe the Angelos sons are worse than Peter. At least PA ponied up money to sign draft picks like Wieters.

Did we not spend money on Adley? Some of the takes on this board are ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

"Scouts think he'll be more of a fringe-average type hitter".....

Really?  THAT was the best we could do with this pick????    

Well, to play devils advocate: 

25. Jordan Westburg, SS, Mississippi State, 45 FV: A big shortstop who has plus power and speed and is growing into more contact as he catches up to his peers in terms of on-field reps.”

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/29251325/updated-2020-mlb-draft-rankings-latest-top-150-players

5 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Seems like a reasonable value at 30, and the O's have a crying need for a good SS prospect who can get to the majors quickly.  Definitely not an overslot pick, though.  

If his swing does need to be rebuilt how fast can he get to the majors?

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If his swing does need to be rebuilt how fast can he get to the majors?

We don’t know his swing will get rebuilt. Even if it does, 3-4 years is reasonable and would line up well with a theoretical competitive window.