2020 Comp Pick A (30): Jordan Westburg - SS - (JR) (Mississippi State)

Though neither was a heralded prospect or drafted out of high school in 2017, Mississippi State's Westburg and Justin Foscue have developed into college baseball's best double-play combination. Foscue has been a more consistent hitter but Westburg has a higher ceiling and more defensive value. He tied a College World Series record with seven RBI in one game in 2018 and helped the Bulldogs return to Omaha last season.

Westburg has a compact right-handed swing and possesses the bat speed and strength to provide 20 or more homers on an annual basis. He lacks consistency at the plate because he has a very aggressive, pull-happy approach and sometimes struggles with pitch recognition and managing the strike zone. After he failed to make the U.S. collegiate national team last summer, he settled down nicely in the Cape Cod League and was one of the circuit's more productive hitters.

Westburg has solid speed and arm strength to match, giving him a chance to stick at shortstop at the next level. He's big for the position at 6-foot-3 and if he adds more strength to his frame, he could slow down and necessitate a move to third base. With his power potential, he still could profile offensively at the hot corner.

From MLB.com... https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/jordan-westburg-676059

I like Westburg a lot, and wanted him at 30 or 39 prior to the draft, but I'm curious about the likely underslot deal with Kjerstad... did they mis-calculate a player or two not dropping? We'll never know. Maybe Jared Kelly will be on the board at 39? 

• Upvote 2

Okay, now I’m pissed. I gave the Orioles the benefit of the doubt with the Hierstad pick by assuming that they’ll pick an overslot high school player later in the first round. That turned out to be a bunch of baloney. This is Orioles ownership being cheap period. I’m starting to believe the Angelos sons are worse than Peter. At least PA ponied up money to sign draft picks like Wieters.